Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Motor size for Rubber to Electric conv.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Motor size for Rubber to Electric conv.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:00 PM
DannyF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor size for Rubber to Electric conv.

I want to build my 30" Dumas Fieseler Storch as an electric R/C.

The plans show about 98 square inches of wing area, for this typical stick & tissue kit. Flat bottomed airfoil.

Any thoughts out there on what size motor / battery / prop combo I should use??

I have 20 years in RC, and have two Astro 05 size ships; but I have never built and electric this small.

Would appreciate any guidance I could get.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Tippie

Well, here goes. Not being the electric expert I should be, my best guess is that you could use a 280 motor and a battery around 200mah. Not a lot of wing area there.

I'm sure you will get a response that will give you better info, but you might also 'nose' around on the ezone web site.

www.ezonemag.com

I checked it and didn't see any forum there but I didn't spend a lot of time checking. You might find a way to ask the question and will be able to get an expert answer since it is an all electric site.

Good luck. Again, pretty small wing area and don't know if there are any motors smaller, although a 280 is pretty small as is. Another question is which might be asked would be, direct drive or gearbox and if gearbox is better what ratio and what prop.

I like the electrics but in my mind it is not as cut and dried as with wet airplanes. Lots of variables.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Wright Flyer

I'd have thought that a GWS IPS DX-A and 10x4.7 or 9x7 would do the trick for you but it might be worth crunching the numbers in motocalc (www.motocalc.com) to be sure. It all comes down to what you expect the all up flying weight to be but I'd imagine you're looking at about 8-10oz there??

Cliff
Old 01-19-2003, 04:32 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power for 30" Storch

There are a number of GWS direct or motor/geardrive that might work well. The DXA motor/geardrive ( as used on the Litestick)would probably work if you build the Storch very light and cover it with Coverlite or Litespan or other special lightweight covering such as Solite. Since the Storch has long landing gear legs, it can probably use a 9x7 and maybe a 10x4.5 prop, you can lengthen gear a little if needed.

You will need a 7-cell 300 mah NiMh battery pack, two submicro servos such as GWS "Pico"or Hitec HS-55 servos. The GWS R4P receiver is inexpensive and light but can sometimes glitch when others are flying on adjacent channels. You will need a small light speed contol such as the GWS 5amp esc.

Go to the E-Zone Parkflyer and Scale forums and ask the same question, evaluate responses and try it. I wrote an article with general recommendations on converting rubber scale models to electric R/C, its in the Indoor and Micro forum, use search engine, "Conversion of Rubber Scale".
Old 02-26-2003, 06:04 AM
tinyairplane

there's a free article at rcmicroflight about converting their 30" series planes to rc. it's in their free article, "how to" section. for the bearcat, the author used a speed 280, 3:1 motor. check it out, great info.

i'm working on the dumas vega air express.