Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to R/C Flying - Looking for first plane

Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to R/C Flying - Looking for first plane

Hello all,

I've been doing a lot of reading here and I just thought I would introduce myself.
My name is Derrick, I live in New Hampshire, I've got my Commercial Multi-instrument certificate and about 350 hours.
I have a couple of Aero Aces but other than that I've never flown any R/C planes.

I've got my eye on the Hobby Zone Super Cub but being a pilot I really don't like the idea of flying with just rudder and elevator control.
I'm considering going with more expensive components from the start but no particular radio equipment really stands out.
I may just pick up a SC for now until a second generation 2.4GHz system becomes available.

My LHS recommended a slowstick. I think they look ridiculous but the slow speed would probably be helpful. Again though, not loving the rudder/elevator control.

The other plane I'm eyeing is the GWS E-Starter with a rudder/elevator/aileron setup. I know this will be a bit faster than the cub or slowstick, but with all the sim time I've racked up I think I might be able to handle it. Plus I would love to get some floats and fly off the lake.

If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to R/C Flying - Looking for first plane

Two good planes, in my opinion. I wouldn't get too attached to your first couple of planes, though. You'll know why after a bit of learning.

Your sim time is probably more helpful than your cockpit time. From what I've read, cockpit time invites arrogance and crashes.

My first plane was a SS and I was flying it from the start after spending time on a sim. I know someone who self taught on an Estarter, although it is now a blend of epoxy and foam. Their plan was to build another now that crashes were infrequent. Estarter was my third plane (Second was Great Planes BLT) and it's taken some abuse from less than spectacular moves, but it is in pretty good shape, considering.

Estarter is faster than the SS or the BLT. I only had the courage to fly one of my two packs the first time out and I spent a lot of that flight setting up to land.

It may a choice between aesthetics and how much you like to repair your Estarter.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with TimePilot. Flying an R/C plane is very different from flying a real plane. With an R/C plane, you are a spectator, standing on the side line and making all of the needed decissions, controls, etc. strictly based upon your visual observation of the plane. It is extremely easy to mis-judge distances and, quite often, to misjudge the orientation and direction of the plane. You must train your mind to allow your thumbs to make all of the needed control inputs in the correct orientation and in the correct amounts, and the inputs must be made in split second execution. For this reason, everyone crashes. Some flyers crash a lot; while others crash infrequently. Typically, the beginner flyer experiences quite a number of crashes, and then the frequency of the crashes diminishes as the person gains experience. Then there are periods of increased crashes as the flyer begins to try out flying that is fancier and more fun than just cruising the sky. For this reason most flyers begin with one or two "expendable" planes with which they learn to fly and get past their period of frequent crashes.

Steering with ailerons vs. steering with the rudder is not the key issue. The key issue is the number of control variables that you need to attend to at the same time and the speed of the plane. The greater the number of variables, the more difficult the learning curve. The faster the plane, the less time to make the correct decission. The easiest planes to learn to fly are the 2-channel planes like the Airhogs Aeroace and the HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2. Next are the slow flying 3-channel like the Slow-V and SlowStik. After that are the 3-channel high wing pushers like the EasyStar, Aerobird Challenger, T-hawk, SkyFly, Red Hawk, etc. There are some exceptions; planes that would normally be intermediate level designs, but for some reason are particularly good for learning. The HobbyZone SuperCub falls into this category. Its probably the best overall beginner plane currently available. i would suggest that you get the SuperCub, learn to fly and get most of your crashes out of the way, then take your time deciding upon a good 4-channel plane.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would go for the 4 channel with ailerons. Contrary to what most say, in my opinion, it is easier to learn with ailerons than it is with rudder. Yes, the plane reacts quicker, but with the new TX's now, you can program Dual Rates, Exponentials and End Point Adjustments, to help the learning curve with the ailerons, plus it is just easier to turn with ailerons. You never really use the rudder in the air anyway, only on the ground when taxiing. So you are still using three channels when flying, so the number of control variables stays the same as it would have been if you were just flying a true 3 channel. My very first plane was a 4 channel Cessna 182. Yes, it was crashed, but that is all part of the fun right . You have to crash to learn the process and get better. I have rebuilt/glued the plane back together twice, and have not crashed in my last 20+ flights. GO FOR THE AILERONS!!

Take a look at these links: I would recommend the first one
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2200

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182.htm

If you are set on a 3 channel look at something like this, or a type of glider that will gain enough altitude to allow you to fly for an extended period of time and play with the controls, there are some 4 channel gliders as well:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

This is more of an advanced glider, but worth looking at
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPD0&P=7

For radio equip. I would recommend this:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUV7**&P=0
Old 09-29-2006, 08:26 AM
highflyer65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned how to fly buy myself with the EASY STAR it's probably the best of the best trainers and you can add AIL. after you've learned to fly it as a three ch. There are many EASY STAR threads out there . The SS is good but don't try to fly it in any kind of wind ,The easy star will fly good in 10mph winds.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Tommyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get T-Hawk! Excellent plane and company, fast shipping too. You get 2 of almost everything except the fuse and boom. 2 wings, 2 batteries, 2 tails, 2 props, spare rubber bands. I got one 2 weeks ago, had a few crashes and here's what happened this morning on my 3rd try:

Posted on another RCGroup...

Man oh man I think I've finally got it!!! Went flying today and met a friend at our favorite park at 9am. He had his Laird biplane, I had my T-Hawk with it's new motor. NO WIND at all. Seemed to make ALL the difference as on the first launch I was able to keep her up for a good 4 minutes!!!! What a BLAST! I finally got the feel for controlling it, short "blips" (taps) of the stick to turn and then let go then short blip(s) to level her out if needed. I wore down 1 battery eventually and no real crashes! I was even able to land her fairly smoothly although I do need to work on that a bit more. I am SO stoked!

Can't wait to go again, maybe tomorrow. I have the next 2 weeks off so guess where I'LL be often! My friend did get video and will be giving me a cd copy in the next day or so so I'll try to photobucket it.

The T-Hawk is a REALLY awesome plane!

Tom
Old 09-30-2006, 04:46 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally made my decision.
My new HZ Super Cub should be here next week!

I ordered an extra prop and shaft too since most people seem to break these parts when they're learning.

I didn't order any glue but I know I'll probably need some. What is the best glue for the Super Cub's wings and fuselage? I like the idea of gorilla glue, no mixing as with epoxy, but I guess it expands a bit?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
mustang_cool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

get the slowstick...it's really a good/cheap plane to start it off...easy to learn the controlling..once you've mastered the techniques of handling electric plane...then move on to 3D or warbird.....

cheers
Old 10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
:)--}--{

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i too want to learn to fly after my aeroace this looks like a nice trainer. i read on ebay you can repair it with CA glue.

1 question...its 3ch, so thats throttle,rear rudder,and whatelse? do the rear flaps move or the wing flaps?

chaeck out this bad boy though http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182...urce=cessna182
Old 10-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a 4 channel plane......you have full control of throttle, ailerons, rudder and elevator.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:02 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Throttle, Rudder and Elevator. Elevator is the horizontal surface on the tail, it controls the pitch(nose up/nose down)

In stock form there are no control surfaces on the wings.

The 182 does look very nice, very scale... but it apparently needs to be landed a lot faster than the Cub so not as good for a first plane.

I think I'll probably be able to fly the Cub in my yard, which is a big plus.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Tommyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: --}--{

i too want to learn to fly after my aeroace this looks like a nice trainer. i read on ebay you can repair it with CA glue.

1 question...its 3ch, so thats throttle,rear rudder,and whatelse? do the rear flaps move or the wing flaps?

chaeck out this bad boy though http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182...urce=cessna182

Very nice but at first I would go with either a T-Hawk RTF, Easystar RTF or Wing Dragon RTF. VERY durable planes that can take a newcomers mistakes/crashes. I have first hand knowledge of that with the T-Hawk and Easystar.

Tom
Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That Cessna 182 link to Hobby Lobby is an aileron trainer and comes with 4 micro servos pre-installed - it has control on the wings.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
wildjaych

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

slow stick
Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
chief illini

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FlyinLo,

I think you made a good choice. You will love the Super Cub. Just make sure you fly your first flights with no wind and lots of room.

Keep us updated!

chief
Old 10-04-2006, 05:48 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, chief. My Cub will actually be here NEXT week (9 days from order to delivery for the 'free ground shipping'

There are a couple fields in town I can choose from. One is comprised of two little league fields with no fence in between and it's protected from wind on all four sides. The other is at the middle school baseball/soccer fields in town, TONS of room but I won't be able to fly there during the week when the kids are at school.

I think my yard would be big enough to fly the Cub but I'm definetely going to hold off until I get a few flights under my belt before I do that.

Here's a panorama of the yard, do you guys thing I would have enough room for the Cub? I think my only worry would be glitching electronics if I get it out over the trees too far. (This panorama was a pretty bad stitching job, I'll get some more pics and also some of the other two fields)

Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Tommyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyinLo

Thanks, chief. My Cub will actually be here NEXT week (9 days from order to delivery for the 'free ground shipping'

There are a couple fields in town I can choose from. One is comprised of two little league fields with no fence in between and it's protected from wind on all four sides. The other is at the middle school baseball/soccer fields in town, TONS of room but I won't be able to fly there during the week when the kids are at school.

I think my yard would be big enough to fly the Cub but I'm definetely going to hold off until I get a few flights under my belt before I do that.

Here's a panorama of the yard, do you guys thing I would have enough room for the Cub? I think my only worry would be glitching electronics if I get it out over the trees too far. (This panorama was a pretty bad stitching job, I'll get some more pics and also some of the other two fields)

If this is your first plane your yard isn't big enough IMHO. Those trees are plane magnets, you'll see. Use a BIGGER field with no trees around for I'd say at least 1,000 feet. No wind. Learning to fly these things is hard enough, wind makes it harder. I know, I'm new to this too and just got good flying my T-Hawk in the past week! Had a ball this morning with it, gaining more confidence every day now. LOVE IT!!!!

Oh yeah, no matter what HAVE FUN!!!!

Tom
(48 going on 7!)

Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tommyr,
Thanks for the input...

It is my first plane (except for my two Aero Aces) and I will definetely teach myself to fly it in the larger fields.
I'm just wondering if it would be possible (once I know what I'm doing) given the Cub's turning radius, to fly in the yard.

From the driveway (off the right side of the picture) you can see for probably 10 miles over the trees, but I would be concerned about glitching and losing it in the woods.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most beginners feel uncomfortable having their plane well up in the air. It instinctively feels a lot better to have the plane close to you. Unfortunately, close to the ground is the worst place to fly a plane. Generally, you want your plane to be flying at least three times the height of the tallest nearby tree. Therefore, the biggest restriction to the size of field is the amount of room needed for the plane to take off and land. Once you get really good at flying, you can bring a plane in, under power, from 200ft.up and land it within a 100ft. area. BUT NOT AS A BEGINNER! When you are a beginner, or even intermediate, you want to bring the plane in nice and easy, allowing it to glide in to the landing. An area that is 600ftx600ft or larger is ideal, but you can get away with an area that is 400ftx400ft. Any smaller and you are definitely looking for trouble.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 PM
flyingace451

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK everyone, stop giving him suggestions on planes, he's already decided and ordered...sheesh.

Anyways, good choice! Once you have a bit of experience under your belt, the Cub will be able to fly in that space. You may have to go over some trees a bit, and there will be little room for error, but it will fit with experienced fingers.

The biggest field you can find is the best field when learning...you'll need room. Try hand launching for the first couple of flights to help you out on take off. Hold it firmly, give it full throttle, and then throw it like a baseball...pretty much level to the ground. Let it climb and BARELY move the stick to correct it's heading on it's way up. Don't mess around with the elevator yet, let it climb under it's own power. Get really high up (whatever your idea of really high is, but not out of sight please) and then just experiement with turning and get the feel for it. If you feel confident enough, you can play around with the elevator some, but not much.

Flying with or close to the lowest amount of throw on the surfaces, in 0-5mph wind, and in an open obstacle free field will help you have a successful first flight.

Have fun with it, and tell us how the maiden goes!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Super Cub arrived but I'm having problems... Here's a copy+paste from [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4371835/mpage_24/key_/tm.htm]this thread[/link]

I received my Super Cub yesterday and built it last night.

Discharged the batteries per the instructions and charged each one with the AC wall charger.

I went to the field this morning to break in the engine by taxiing around for a battery pack

The plane taxiied for about 10 seconds, then stopped and wouldn't respond to the transmitter.
I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in, no power.

I grabbed my second battery pack and put that in. Again it ran for a few seconds and then stopped completely.

I checked the wiring but nothing seems to be out of place and the transmitter batteries are brand new.

Another thing I noticed last night when discharging the battery packs was that the right side servo kept twitching back and forth on its own. The left one was silent unless I gave it input with the transmitter.

Is there anything you can suggest that I do to try to get my Cub running correctly?

(I copy+pasted this from an e-mail I sent to hobbyzone customer service...patiently awaiting their response)
E-mail response regarding my Super Cub problem:

Hello Derrick,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Contact tech support at Horizon Hobby,
and they
will help you determine the problem, and provide warranty service or replacement
if
needed. You can contact them at 877-504-0233 or productsupport@horizonhobby.com
Let me know how you come out.

Thanks, [name removed]
Hobbyzone.com
Customer Service
I called horizon hobby customer service and the rep said the power loss and servo twitching sounds like a speed controller issue.
They're sending me out a new channel 2 unit.

Does this sound about right to you guys?
.................................................. ...............
Well, I hope this part swap will do the trick.

I really can't say I'm pleased with having to do their quality control for them.
Maybe its cheaper to not have a QC person and just ship parts.
.................................................. ................
I took out the receiver/esc unit and it the connections inside it look fine. I unplugged the ACT and X-Port wires.

Plugged battery in, transmitter on... motor works intermittently. Servos constantly twitch around on their own. Stick input moves the surfaces but the servos immediately twitch back the other way.
.................................................. .................
I tried moving that around while the battery was plugged in, radio on. It seemed to effect when the plane responded to the stick and throttle, but servos are still glitching very bad and the motor glitches too.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Tommyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flyinlo,

Try their suggestion and if it doesn't work, call them again. Every once in a while a bad apple gets out, it happens with EVERY manufacturer. Give them the chance to help solve your problem.

Tom
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
FlyinLo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I normally would be more forgiving towards a company but seriously, look what they're selling. It's a model airplane that could very easily damage property or hurt someone. They need to step up and be more responsible about the products they're shipping. They need to bench test the airplanes before they ship them, simple as that.

They have one chance, the part is on it's way.
If that doesn't fix the problems the plane goes back and I'll get higher quality components and an ARF.

I don't have the time to be playing 'Quality control' for a half-ass company.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Tommyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyinLo

I normally would be more forgiving towards a company but seriously, look what they're selling. It's a model airplane that could very easily damage property or hurt someone. They need to step up and be more responsible about the products they're shipping. They need to bench test the airplanes before they ship them, simple as that.

I don't have the time to be playing 'Quality control' for a half-ass company.

No offence but I think you're over reacting. ANY model airplane *could* damage property or hurt someone by either a glitch or pilot error. I'm sure there are MANY people flying this plane with no problems.

You could always send it back for a refund and buy from someone else.

Tom

Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Tommyr that you are overreacting. Horizon Hobby is well known for standing behind their products; as well or better than any other manufacturer of R/C planes. You will fing lots of flyers on the various threads who flew their HobbyZone or ParkZone planes, crashed them, and received free replacement parts or entire replacement planes. Unfortunately, problems with electronic components are common to all manufacturers, not only of R/C equipment but also in all other fields. One experienced flyer at my field spent last winter putting together a terrific plane; using top of the line components the plane cost him nearly $2,000. On the maiden flight the electronics glitched and the plane went nose first into the ground at about 60 mph. There were very few salvageable components.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service