Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Radio for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 PM
hph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio for beginner

I was recommended the GWS Dream Starter radio and a Slow Stik as a beginner system by the lhs.

Does anyone have any opinions on this system, will I be able to use the radio on other planes once I get more experience ?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

The radio is adequate and gets the job done. Price is very good too. It can be used on another plane as long as you use the correct receiver and crystal.

If you think you are going to stay with this hobby, then I'd suggest getting something like the Hitec Flash 5X or equivalent which will allow for some growth. It's not required but very convenient.

The SlowStick is a great starter plane. I got one for my 7 yr old to learn 3ch control (I have flown it more than him ) and is easy to fly.

If you can, get hold of FMS (flight simulator program) and a cable to hook up to your radio (the Flash 4X/5X, Laser 4/6 have trainer ports, the GWS doesn't). Then download the SlowStick and practice on it. That's what I am doing with my son. Certain amount of simulator time earns him flying time - the SS is unblemished still.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 AM
KrazyKraut

To expand upon this line of thought...

I am thinking of going with a Pico Stick FD. I'm going to be in this for the long haul, so I am thinking that I need to purchase a 4-6 channel radio.

The radio's that I have seen suggested have just one gimbal. Ok, makes sense to me since there are just 2 servo's needed...rudder and elevator.

My question is, can I use a 2 gimbal radio to operate the FD??? I believe that I can, but I am not sure.

Thanks to all who help me out!

K.K.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:41 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Hey hph,
Please look at the second post in the following thread, this will do you right for a long time:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...624&forumid=75]
Old 01-29-2003, 04:07 AM
thstone

I just purchased the GWS Dream Starter radio and flight pack (radio, servos, ESC, battery) and a Slow Stik. I am a newbie who has never flown before. Back before Christmas I bought a RealFlight G2 simulator to learn some of the basics. Now, I'm ready for some real airtime!

After reading many of the posts, both here and at the other message boards, I decided to start with equipment that is affordable and in a "kit" because I don't feel comfortable that I have enough knowledge to sucessfully "mix and match" yet.

IF I get hooked and decide to stay in the sport, I figure that I'll upgrade my equipment later and pass on the "beginners" stuff to my kids (just like I do with computers! Plus it never hurts to have some old cheaper stuff to experiment with.

Best of luck to everyone and I'll report back in a week or so and let you know how my first flights go!

Tom
Old 01-30-2003, 07:53 AM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Tom - The SlowStick is awesome. I even fly it indoors, love to relax with it in the park/field. I think it's one of the most popular easy-to-fly parkflyers out there.

KrazyKraut - the Pico stick is fine too. The single stick radios are really 3 ch, just that they use a slide switch (I think it saves them money too when they get rid of a stick) for throttle control. Most have elevon mixing, so one can even fly elevon models. However, one gets limited to 3ch controls - R/E/T, elevon-throttle, A/E/T (no A/E/R/T). You'll be surprised how many good models out there to choose from for these radios. 6 ch means one can get fancy

All - welcome to RC flying, it's a great way to spend $$$ Keep that visa/mastercard/discover/amex card ready
Old 01-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

KrazyKraut,

There is just 2 important mods to the Pico Stick FD imo:

* reinforce the wings - get bamboo skewers (6" or more) glue and tape to the Leading and Trailing edges of the wing - this helps alot especially when you start looping the plane or diving on windy days. For reference, the mod makes the wing looks like that of the pure stick designs. Alternative is to make wing struts like the Pico Cub; the plastic parts are already included in the kit, you only need to provide 2 bamboo skewers.

* get a 9x7 prop for outdoor flying; really helps when there's a little wind.

Optional mod:

* tie the bottom 2 axels of the landing gear together to precent them from spreading apart on hard landings.

Other than that, imo the Pico FD is actually much tamer to fly than the Slow Stick and makes an equally good starter plane.