Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

sig rascal and motor sugestions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

sig rascal and motor sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig rascal and motor sugestions

I have never flown electric but at the field yesterday a club member has a sig rascal with a speed 400 in it. he said it was ok but it would be better with the new brushless motor and li plo batteries. I don't know anything about electric. I like to build kits and I was looking for a smaller plane. what would you guys sugest to put in this bird. I am using a futaba 6 ch, 2.4 radio

motor? servo's? batteries? do they make a car charger?

speed control? and what is this programing thing I have been seeing?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Ryan CSRC

Default RE: sig rascal and motor sugestions

That setup could vary depending on how much performance you are wanting to get out of it. Check out the motor wizard on our wizard, it can recomend Motor/ESC/and battery combos based on the size of the plane and desired flying style.

Ryan Lefevre
www.CommonSenseRC.com
The Go To Guys For Electric Power
Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 AM
ozrcboy

Draftman1 - check out this blog post mate - was aimed to help nitro guys come to terms with electrics

http://www.oz********.com/2007/09/gu...low-heads.html

Don't know exactly with rascal you are looking at (seem to be some different ones out there. Aim for around 90Watts per pound and I think you will have a machine that flys well. 110watts/pound and it will fly brilliantly.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 AM
draftman1

thanks guys. both places are real helpfull. it is the sig rascal, its basicly a .049 to .07 plane. its a kit but shown as white with transparent green monocoat. its like a cub. thanks again Andy
Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 AM
ozrcboy

Draftman - should have realised which one you were talking about based on the speed 400 reference.

A search on the interwebthingame suggests an all up weight of around 22-24 oz (1.5lbs or there abouts).

At 90watts/pound you need 135watts, at 110, you need 165watts.

For 135 watts you could go a 2s or 3s setup. For 165 watts you probably want a 3s setup:

Remember w=v x a

Therefore - to deliver 165watts at 7.4 volts you need 22A - doable, but on the high end.

If you wanted to go for 3s and 165 watts something like this would probably work:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5112
with either the 8x6 or 8x4 GWS prop
Chuck in a 20A ESC like this one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5449

That shop is in hong kong - they are good, ship fast and good prices, but your lhs probably has similar stuff if you wanted to support them. You also need a 3s LiPo - read the notes on my blog to understand how big a one might be good to buy. Obviously flight performance is better with a lighter battery, but you can't fly for as long. Also you sometimes need the weight of the battery to balance the plane (because you don't burn the fuel load you can use the battery to create the correct balance).

Finally - as you look at the power system for any model you will notice they will tend to either be setup for outrunner on a stick, direct mount on a firewall, or a gearbox - if the sig was bult for a speed 400 my guess is you have a gearbox setup - if you are happy doing a mod to mount and outrunner and know how to get thrust angle and position correct go for it. Or maybe the sig has dual mount options (enlightened model designers -- have to love them). If it doesn't, and you don't want to modify you need to find an inrunner/gearbox combo - will cost a little more unfortunately.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
soarhead-RCU

draftman:
A freind of my brothers has one and it is powered by a Hobby Lobby 400Xt outrunner. 3S 2100 lipos and GWS nano servos. It doesnt have unlimited vertical but flies scale like and has a good climb out and will ROG in around 10 feet if needed. This is a cheaper motor and is sometimes for sale for around 20$ I think. I have flown the plane and it is a real sweetheart, dont remember the weight but glides like crazy and will handel a little breeze also!!!! Youll enjoy it Im sure.....

Happy Flying
Bob