Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Stick Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
tsperry88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Ailerons

Since i'm a pilot in real life, I struggle with the idea of learning to fly without ailerons. Can ailerons easily be added to a slow stick. How? Is it a dumb idea to try to teach myself to fly a slow stick with ailerons.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 PM
the_knack

Default RE: Slow Stick Ailerons

I am (was, can't pass the physical now) a full scale pilot and wondered the same thing but I have a slow stick with lights that I use for night flying and with the dihedral in the wing it flys just fine with rudder only. Some folks remove the dihedral and add ailerons so you might want to try it with just the rudder first. Where in VA do you live? If we're close you can fly mine anytime.
Good luck my friend,
Danny
Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 PM
tsperry88

I live in Fredericksburg, VA. I have no clue where Clintwood is, but mapquest says its 6 hours away. I wish I was closer. I'm 18 with a PPL slowly going for other ratings. How is a servo installed to control the outer portions of a wing, or is the whole trailing edge used for an aileron, and the servo mounted to the fuselage. I will probably learn to fly with rudder first, and latter add ailerons.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
the_knack

Yea, Fredricksburg is a good distance from me. We're in the far western part of the state, about an hour north of Bristol. Not sure how folks have been adding the servo for the aileron's but the SS wing has the aileron molded into the wing. All you have to do is cut it out, hinge it and add the control horn. Do a search for "slow stick aileron" and you should find something. Congrats on getting the PPL, it's the most exciting thing I've ever done.
Later,
Danny
Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tsperry88

Since i'm a pilot in real life, I struggle with the idea of learning to fly without ailerons. Can ailerons easily be added to a slow stick. How? Is it a dumb idea to try to teach myself to fly a slow stick with ailerons.
When you fly the SS without ailerons, the stick you move to control the rudder on the transmitter is the same as the one you'd use for ailerons. If you could make a full scale plane that would operate with no ailerons, just rudder, it would be the same as putting the rudder control on the yoke and removing the pedals. Unless you are doing aerobatics, you don't use the rudder much anyway, just a touch on some planes to coordinate turns.

If you move to a plane like the GWS Estarter from the SS, it's not a big deal making the switch.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 AM
highflyer65

Just my 2 cents ,but the SS wing is not really designed for ail. I have to say there are a lot better choices for an ail trainer Then a SS.Again just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM
walkermsg

A guy at the local hobby shop put dual ailerons on his SStick. He says it doesn't work very well, not worth the trouble. I put a 1320 mAh lipo on mine and had to move the battery all the way next to the motor and slide the wing back about 1/2 inch and added about an ounce near the nose to get it to fly real good. I added EPA on the elevator but didn't use it on the rudder since it needs all it has and then some.
Lee
Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Slow Stick Info Site
http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/index.shtml

Review
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=75

Discussion Thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=122951

souped up slow sticks - video
http://skrogg.com/wed.wmv
Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
soarhead-RCU

Stevens aeromodels makes a aileron wing for the SS. It is lazer cut balsa and if it is like their kits it should be a very easy build. It is said to fly just as slow as the stock one but penetrates the wind a lot better. Uses the stock mounts and every thing so you just rubber band it on, re-plug the servos and go fly. Havent seen one fly in person yet, but big thread over at RCG, Guys really like it..........
Bob
Old 11-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Dave Kovensky
My Feedback: (3)

Suggest you look up the string "Slow Stick With Ailerons" for how to modify your Slow Stick to incorporate ailerons, upgrade to a brushless motor, add a steerable tail wheel and more including photos of these mods. This will require you to browse this section back a while to find this info.

Dave Kovensky
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM
pfatz

Somewhere, I saw a post where a guy put a piece of foam under each side of the wing and 2.5" behind the wing. He operates these as ailerons. This may have been on RC Groups . It was complete with pic's and was said to work well. Might be worth looking for.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
bushpilot39r

Slow Stick with ailerons ... I just built an extra wing with servos and ailerons ... just for the hell of it. I used double sided white foam mounting tape and stuck the servos in it so that I wouldn't need to cut the wing. I have the servos on their side 4" from the control horn. So far, so good. If the double sticky tape doesn't hold then I'll run a zip tie thru the wing. I made the aileron cuts with a Dremel rotary saw blade. I doubt that there is a better way to cut out the ailerons. It was like cutting butter. I did all the work with the wing flat, then finished the wing, with dihedral. I haven't flown it yet ... LOL .. but it sure looks cool on the bench. I expect this upgrade will add an element of fun to an already great flying airplane.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 PM
pfatz

I happened on to a website of a guy in South Africa who has built a larger wing with ailerons with good success.

Try this http://www.phix.co.za/

Very interesting
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 PM
CptDan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this Slowstik with a Stevens Aero Wing kit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59560.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	794536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42102.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	794537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24532.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	794538  
Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
JRickey

This is mine.
Mods
flat wing
clipped
twin syrvo ailerons
tail
brushed, lipos
"custom coweling"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67186.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	799584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99167.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	799585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12755.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	799586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95639.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	799587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	799588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48686.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	799589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya56439.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	799590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66793.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	799591  

Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 AM
walkermsg

That botttle looks great, it doesn't slow air around motor either does it ? How about the battery does it get hot ? Looks like good workmanship. I need to get busy on mine. I got all the flights mine can produce and it was getting boring. I use a 2S Li-Po and have tried different motors, there's so much wind here there are only a few days a month that the SS flys without crashing.
Looks great,
Lee
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM
JRickey

The air flow was a concern of mine also. I flew it with the bottle and without and noticed no difference. The battery, ESC and motor all get a little warm but nothing to be alarmed about. I like doing touch and goes and steap angle landings. The coweling protects all of the expensive stuff and keeps the battery in place when I get it out of wack.