Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Heres where I stand

Old 09-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Metrocat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Heres where I stand

I'm a newbie that has a park that is approx 200X200 across the street from me, money is not really an issue so I'd like to start with a fairly decent radio that will serve me for a while if I stay with the hobby, If i don't stick with it I figure a better radio has more resale value, in another thread I read that a faily good 6 or 7 channel computer radio that has alot of the helpful features that I still don't understand that can work on 27 and 72 by Futaba can be had for under 200. Opinions?

For the plane I was looking at the Horizon SuperCub but have learned that that might be a bit much for a 200X200 area for a beginner. Since then I have come across the Graupner Tipsy and the Easy Star, these look a bit more rugged and user friendly. I did read about the Slow stik and Slow V but I'd like something a bit larger, more attractive (scale) and something that can handle a little more wind, however with the radio that can do so much I am also considering a couple of trainers so the SS and SV are not totaly out.

I am open for suggestions for a computer trainer.

I'm gettin a bit annsy and my debit card is starting to vibrate out of my wallet so I told myself I'm gonna studdy up this weekend and ask for all ya'lls help and order something Monday for sure.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thankyou for your help.

Mark
Old 09-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Heres where I stand

Here is the 6 channel radio I purchased. And it comes with a $30 merchandise certificate if you order by the 22nd of this month

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUV7**&P=0

Planes, it depends on how far you want to go. For a beginner plane that does not have all of the capabilities I would get the Easy Star, for a beginner plane that has some future potential, I would take a good look at the E-Flite Cessna 182.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 AM
AirforceRcks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

would that setup word with this plane?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2200
what esle would i need?
thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
patnchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You probably won't like my opinion, but you asked for it. I think, before you get involved in tryng to fly a scale plane, in an area that small, you might want to fly a GWS Slo-Stik. It is only a three channel, but it flys slow and is very rugged. If you've never flown before, you're going to crash. Crashing a pretty scale plane, like a Cessna 182 can be a little devastating and for a beginner, repairing it could be an insurmountable task. The scale planes, while flying slow, to an experienced pilot, can seem very fast, to someone who's learning. If you crash a GWS Slo-Stik, chances are, you will be able to tape it together, with packing tape, and fly some more. Not only that, but because it flys very slow, the panic factor is far less. In a smallish area, this can be very desireable. A Slow-Stik is cheap to buy, cheap to fix, as easily modified, later on. Many people that have been flying for years, still keep a Slow-Stik around, just to toss in the trunk and fly in a parking lot, at lunch time. Once you've mastered the Slow-Stik, you will be partially ready to move into a 4 channel scale type high wing plane. Then the Cessna 182 could be a good next plane. ...JMHO.....Pat
Old 10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
patnchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the radio purchase......I am not aware of any radio that works on 27mgz and 72 mgz......A Spectrum DX6 is a good radio for park fliers. It is less prone to interference.....It is neither 27 mgz or 72mgz.....It has it own frequencies and needs no crystals......If you think you may want to get into large planes, at some point, I would suggest the 6-7 channel versions of JR or Futaba....While there are others around, if you have issues, the customer support of these two companies can be priceless..............Pat
Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, that radio, receiver and servos would work with the Cessna 182. I have the same setup in my ParkFlyers Cessna 182. My first plane was the Cessna 182, yes it was crashed, but that is all part of it. Since it is foam you can glue most everything back together. I didn't want to buy a 2 or 3 channel plane and be tired of it in a month, or be limited on what it can do. It took me about 4-5 times out to get it down, but I would not go back and do it any different. What fun is it if it is not a challenge right If you set the dual rates, exponentials, and end points on the ailerons low enough, it is a very easy plane to fly, just go slow, no quick jerks on the stick.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Metrocat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went and bought a G3 simulator and an HiTec Optic 6, I have been using the simulator control while the Optic is charging. with the Cesna 182 I can get up and fly in circles and figure eights all day long, even some aerobatics, setting up for a landing and landing is another story!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best way to learn on the simulator is to put yourself in awkward positions. Somewhat low to the ground, flying towards you, lots of landings. Almost exactly the opposite of how you would really fly Still, things are much different in the "real world", the sim. is good for getting use to the sticks, but that is about it.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: patnchris

Scale planes, while flying slow, to an experienced pilot, can seem very fast, to someone who's learning.
This is an understatement. First time out flying my Estarter (after flying slower 3 channel planes), I only had the courage to fly one pack. A faster plane would only take you to the crash site sooner.

Make sure you can put the plane where you want it in the sim. Learn to land it too. Once you can "do it all" in the sim, don't think all of this will transfer to the field. It will make learning easier, but not flawless. After a few flights on the G3 demo sim, I was able to fly the trainer low and inverted over the runway using the computer keyboard as my controller. I don't even try this stuff (yet) outside....

Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Gary Hoorn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

200 x 200 is a very small place in which to attempt to fly anything with a bit of speed. A Slow Stick or similiar would probably work. That Cessna you are looking at requires a great deal more room.
Gary