Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

help!! what do you think?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
chopperdudes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help!! what do you think?

hello everyone, i had brought a ABX on my last b-day. that was my first plane and i didnt really do any research, i tried to fly it in a soccer field and crashed many times. the fuse is kinda cracked, (no biggies, some ca and zip ties will do) (no electronics are damaged) wing is still ok, tail is busted. then i realized that this plane needs alot of space to fly, it is big and kinda fast, since i was a novice, i was scared of flyign it high... so i decided to pack it up and get something that i dont need alot of space to learn on. i got a blade cp helicopter. and yes, i learnt on it and am currently doing loops with it. if i take out my ABX right now, do you guys think i'll be able to fly it? even though i learnt that altitude is my friend from flying helicopter, a blade cp is relatively cheap/small heli and you'll probably get disoriented if you go above 50ft, and 50ft is a very 'safe' altitude for such a little heli. so in other words, i'm still not accustom to flyign in high altitudes. if i do go fly it, how high should i go? how big a field should i be flyign in? as i said, i'm not comfortable/will not fly above the trees/houses etc.

thx
Old 10-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Hatty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help!! what do you think?

I'm not familiar with the ABX. Could you post a link or picture since I cannot find it online.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 AM
chopperdudes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it's full name is the Aerobird Extreme, it's in the like below.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...rd_extreme.htm
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
mrodgers88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure if it flies like my Aerobird Challenger (ABC) but just faster or not. I'm new (3-4 weeks), but I think I can give you some pointers. If the ABX is just a fast version of my ABC, then if you get it into trouble, then just letting go of the sticks should self-right the plane and allow you to keep flying. That said, you should get it quite high, much higher than the treetops. You want to be 3 mistakes high, that way, you can just let the plane level itself by letting go of the sticks.

I flew my first flight ever with only the help of 5 and 2 year olds running through the field to retrieve downed planes. I tossed the plane and just let it climb until it was maybe 200-300 feet? I can't judge altitude at all. Anyways, I then just circled around using very small stick movements. I did this for a week and never crashed. I belly landed it in high grass, so the landings were more like controlled crashes, but that was it. It wasn't until I started flying real low (like 5 feet off the ground) and started doing loops and rolls that I crashed.

You need to get it up to altitude where you have enough for the plane to self correct. And, at first use very small stick movements to get it to turn.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:16 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chopper, the ABX is a very fast plane and needs lots of room and you need to keep it AT LEAST 100' high, it is decent about self corrrecting but this plane is not as forgiving as it's smaller brothers, being acclimated to the heli at 50' is not going to prepare you for this plane. If you are not comfotable with flying at these hieghts yet DO NOT try to fly this plane again as it will result in disaster
The ABX weight and size makes it take more room to respond or I should say follow through it's responce than 50' can offer.
I would suggest getting something smaller and get oriented to flying at higher alt first, I would suggest a 3 channel as 2 channel planes like the Firebird commander ( a good plane but) don't have elevator control so your learning curve won't totaly be met. Also it is important that certain mods be made to the the ABX for longevity of the plane, they are prone to tronics failure after a few crashes, ask me how I know this . Threre is a thread called bullet proof that bird, it covers all the various mods to improve the plane, some good some overkill but it will put you on the right path. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 AM
chopperdudes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when you say tronic, is it the same as electronic? can you show me the link to that thread? also, we dont have a lota space here in toronto as you might have expected. that's the reason i got a heli. maybe i'll need to wait until i'm 18 so i can drive to farms or stuff like that to fly it, thx anyways.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chopper, I'm not trying to hender your flying but I have tryed 2 times now to talk people out of the ABX as room or their experience wasn't enough and both decided not to heed the warning and now both are without plane [] I will link post here for you on the mods
but it may be a wise decision to wait it out, Yes I did mean the electronics, the prob is that everything is on a circuit board and uses pots and a few good hits and they get damaged and once that happens the whole plane is useless untill you either replace the fuse or convert it to a new system, this is both costly and can be rather complicated. I liked the ABX but it truely needs lots of room and altitude to do well.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29...tm.htm#2967951
Now this is a rather long forum and has many ideas and mods, most important ones are, secure the motor better, secure the boom
protect the circuit card from batt impact in a crash or breaking loose and yanking wires, put wire or small CF between tails to prevent flexing, me personaly I would glue the horns to the tail flaps with 2 part 5 min epoxy from wal-mart
Take time to do a few mods to it and in the mean time get something smaller you can fly in the room you have, there are planes that can be flown in very tight areas
Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM
chopperdudes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi, thx, i think i'll put it away for now, glad to have a heli and will probably upgrade to another more 3d capable one. i'm now kinda scared that i might already bang the electronics, in normal mode, when i put in aileron (rudder?), one flap will raise up, and the other side will kinda dip alittle bit. but this only happens with left i think. and in pro mode it's fine. converting it to a new system will be easy for me. i already have a 9chp that supports v-tail acro's. and all i need is probably a cheapo 3ch fm reciever, a ground based esc will probably work since the motor is a 450 (same as 1:10 cars). and the servos are inside. but... i guess i'll wait maybe till i get to drive. bout 3 years from now. i'm now saving money to get a mroe 3d capable heli, i'm hooked. but since i got an ABX, i dont just want it to sit around if i dont have to, that's why i started this post.
thx, that thread was very useful, i totalled the tail, no biggie, i can just get a new one. the wing is fine, small chunks of the trailing edge is missing, none that can't be fixed with some electrical tape. but i guess i'll have to wait.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:35 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chopper, sorry to tell you this, but you can't reuse the servo's that are inside the fuse, as I had mentioned they are run off a pot and are 5 wire, a normal 3 channel RX is going to use 3 wire servo's, this is where it starts getting complicated, you have to either build a new board to secure the servo's or mount them into the fuse and have the control horns on the outside to connect to new control rods or cables for the tail. Oh and the motor is a 540 . I know it's hard to wait but it's better than trashing it
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
chopperdudes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

darn!! i guess i'll just have to wait... i got a heli to work on now, so... no biggie, thx anyways