Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Lipo parallel and series

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Lipo parallel and series

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
devin136

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo parallel and series

Can someone help clear up the differances between parallel and series with lipo batts and how to do each correctly. How does each assembly change batt performance.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: Lipo parallel and series

OK I will give it a go. If you have 2 lipos charged to the nominal voltage of 3.7v each and you connect the two positive terminals together and the two negative terminals together you have a paralell pack. If you measured across them (pos to neg) with a volt meter you would read 3.7v but the capacity in milliamps would be the combined capacity of both cells. So if they were say 3.7X1000ma your pack would be a 3.7v--2000ma....Now if you were to connect the same batteries positive of one to the neg terminal of the other and then put your voltmeter on the two open terminals you would read 7.4v and the capacity would be just 1000ma because this is a sereis pack(the most common pack you buy). Series=add volts-cap same Parallel=Add capacities-volts the same......Volts is the pressure to force the electrons into your motor makeing it go---Amps is kind of like the fuel tank for the electrons or the capacity of your fuel tank. I learned this over 40years ago from Uncle Sams military so if it has changed I guess you can disreguard. Gonna have a beer now, my head hurts from all this thinking.
Happy Flying
Bob
Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
jvnn

Default RE: Lipo parallel and series

You got it right Soarhead, that stuff hasn't changed in 40 years....neither has gravity for that matter.