Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

depron and bluecor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 AM
sputnikxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default depron and bluecor???

im intrested in trying my hand at a few foam made models... I read that bluecor foam or known as fanfold can be used in place of depron and is considerably a lot cheaper.... i searched lowes website and found this stuff... I found nothing on bluecor but I did find this is this what is being used ?

should I just go with depron instead?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...9-46086-669153
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: depron and bluecor???

Hi sputnik, so your thinking of building your own, COOL, I have built quite a few and it is a blast to build a plane and then see it fly
your link didn't show the foam but it is Fan Fold and yes it is good foam for building and cheaper than depron, a couple tricks you need to know when building your own planes with FFF. get plenty of clear packing tape, get #2 and #11 xacto knifes and 2 part 5 min epoxy
a good contact cement for foam is good too or gorila glue. If you go to the Foamy forum there are a couple threads there that will offer you some good first planes to build, I started one called fun with flat foam and we have a few guys that visit the site on a regular basis that can help you, I am curently building a T-38 Talon and now have designed my own amphibian that I am going to be building next.
Also very important, you need to consider whether you want to build profile or full body planes, I personaly found I don't like profile builds, I like that true scale look and the challenge is far greater than profile builds. Come visit us a fun with flat foam if you want to build your own and want some help or advise, hey just go look through some of the builds the guys have posted pic of
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
jdetray

Without seeing the Bluelinx product, I don't know if it the same as BlueCor or not, but the basic specs are the same. Real BlueCor has a thin plastic film on both sides that adds much strength.

BlueCor is a bit more flexible and less brittle than Depron. Depron is flatter and more uniform than BlueCor, which often has slight ripples or waves in it (which you can see in the photos below). But BlueCor is much, much cheaper!

BlueCor is a Dow product intended as home insulation:
http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...1380484d94.pdf

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78572.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	547373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36324.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	547374  
Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
sputnikxxx

well I tried looking up bluecor and I got nothing on the lowes or home depot website.... and when I search fan fold it pops up the blue linx... I just wish I had a picture of it so I could get someone to tell me if it is the right stuff again
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
soarhead-RCU

Sputnik:
Go to www.foamfly.com Go towards the bottom of the menu you will see a link "what is fan fold"
Bring it up and you will see pictures of the stuff and a code bar with the product # If you print it off as I understand it they can scan it at Lowes and see if they have the product or use the #s and check inventory. I guess it is not available in some parts of the country. Its primary use (fan fold) is insulation and moisture barrier under alum. and vinyl sidding. You might also be able to obtain it from installers of siding in your area who have it drop shipped directly to them from Dow. Home Depot has a similar product that is pink in color and has the moisture barrier laminated between two thin sheets of foam. I havent used the pink yet but is said to be a touch heavier and more brittle than blue. But they say it paints better with craft paints so kind-of a trade off I guess.
Good Luck in your search
Bob
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
jdetray

I have found BlueCor at local building supply centers and lumber yards.

- Jeff
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
wildjaych

I bought mine at Lowes it only has a film on 1 side instead of 2. Easy to work with and fold( just make sure you fold in towards the writing side) Its the same stuff, I found out that DOW prints different names on it in different regions ( why I dont know) but thats the stuff and thats the price I paid. hope this helps
Old 10-25-2006, 07:55 PM
sputnikxxx

ok.. that helps out a lot... now that I know it is the same stuff.. I wont feel like a moron when I go and buy it.... cause ive already spent 12bucks at a supply store and bought the wrong stuff once