Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Challenger or Firebird Freedom?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
heavyarms642

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aerobird Challenger or Firebird Freedom?

I have been reading through the forums a lot lately and have decided to go with one of these two planes to start out with, either the Aerobird Challenger or the Firebird Freedom. I have gotten to that point and would like some feedback from people with more experience than me as to which one to go for, as they seem almost identical. The only differences that I can see are the motor size (Aerobird has a 380 and Firebird has a 480), small size differences, and the Firebird is about $30 more. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aerobird Challenger or Firebird Freedom?

Without a doubt, the Aerobird Challenger. The Freedom has a very nasty tip stall characterisitic, so it must be flown at a much faster speed than the Aerobird. For a beginner, speed is a killer. You need as much time as possible to allow you to decide what control inputs to make. That's the reason that the Slow-V and SloStick are such popular planes for beginners. At speed, the Freedom "floats" very well, which normally is a good thing, but in the case of the Freedom it makes landings difficult. If you slow it down too much it crashes. If you keep the speed up, it doesn't want to come down, causing the plane to constantly overshoot the landing area. Because of its need for greater speed, it needs more room to fly and it can get away from you very quickly.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Pilk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can testify to this:

I bought a FBF as my first plane and quickly learned that it is not a good pick for a beginner. The Freedom can get away from you quickly my second day flying I nearly had a fly-away -- but was able to nose dive it before it went out of sigh.

I would suggest looking into a T-Hawk, Challenger, Easy Star for larger spaces -- Slo-V or SloStick for smaller spaces.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:58 PM
heavyarms642

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I read about a lot of problems with the Firebird Freedom, especially the left wing drag characteristic. Finally came to a decision and ordered my Aerobird Challenger, hope it gets here soon .
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 PM
drewfer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went through this same dilemma and chose the Challenger. Its been through a few crashes and is still in great condition. The Freedom is a bit too fast for a beginner. It will probably get phased out when the Aerobird Swift comes along.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
theworldismyburrito

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well i know u have decided already but i have to go with the freedom. I first bought the stryker, Big Mistake. So I bought the freedom, Great plane. I learned how to fly well and two to three days. I was pulling loops and stalls really well. The freedom also makes a good glider. It is probably tougher to learn on but after you discover the fundamentals it is funner to fly then the aerobird. The freedom is a little fast but controllable. I have been flying for about two years and i still take the freedom out once in a while as a glider.[8D] U guys correct or flame but I love the freedom.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm a little confused. You say that you basically learned with the Freedom and that you have been flying for two years. The Freedom only came out about one year ago. What were you flying for the first year? You say that you first had a Stryker. Were you flying the Stryker that first year? If so, then you were hardly a beginner when you first started flying the Freedom.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
viperz XXX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have an aerobird challenger brilliant bird i mean it absolutly brilliant but i wish it was possible to do rolls commonly o well just ordered 2 wings and a tail hopefully coming soon. The onlyu downside to the challenger is its automatic climb feature which means its not the best plane for fly bys any way i recomend it at all costs p.s. i have not tried gliding it any input on that would be appreciated thanx
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM
SUPERGONZO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No Contest: AEROBIRD CHALLENGER
Old 12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
packyj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first plane was a firebird freedom and i really really enjoyed it... had none of the problems that have been posted on the forums and it still flies great today... don't take it up as often as i probably should but it was a fine starter plane for me. Either one will suit you just fine and both will still be flying long after you've "outgrown" them... nice lazy day fliers...

I wouldn't say speed is the most important problem for a beginner so much as altitude... as long as you have enough altitude and the plane is trimmed correctly to not drift up or down on you you'll do just fine...
Old 12-16-2006, 11:36 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I statted on the Aerobird and have trained lots of new pilots on the Aerobirds. I have not flown teh freedom but I have heard too many bad reports to recommend it.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:44 PM
ElectricFlyer_17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too have heard many reports of the FBF being a bad first plane. I have an Aerobird Challenger and it is one great plane. I would deffiently reccomend it.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 PM
flyingace451

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Challenger all the way. HobbyZone thinks that they can make better planes than it, but so far they haven't gotten rid of the beloved challenger. So many new guys get converted to RC planes by the challenger, and about 3 years ago I was one of those new guys with a challenger. It used to be $140, and the drop in price just makes it better.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 PM
giddyuperic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

are the firebird scout's any good???
Old 12-25-2006, 05:36 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The scout is a 2 channel plane. It has no elevator. You fly it with a combination of throttle and rudder.

Any good? It flies, if that is what you mean.

I don't generally recommend two channel planes as I feel they are too limited, but they can be fun to fly. The only issue I have heard of on the Scout is a tendancy for the tail boom to get broken.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:02 AM
manuel frias

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a aero bird and it a fun plane but i nose dived into the ground a cupple days ago and dented the front really really bad and the engine broke off the back of the plane so I'm ordering a new fuselage and hoping t oget back in the air soon i have one question what wind conditions can the aero bird fly in I'm a beginner and have flown it for abought six flights so far
Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: manuel frias

i have a aero bird and it a fun plane but i nose dived into the ground a cupple days ago and dented the front really really bad and the engine broke off the back of the plane so I'm ordering a new fuselage and hoping t oget back in the air soon i have one question what wind conditions can the aero bird fly in I'm a beginner and have flown it for abought six flights so far
For you? Calm air to 5 mph.

For me? 15 mph winds! Slope soaring! Thermaling! Pretty much anything! When conditions are too bad for my other planes, I pull out the trusty Aerobird and go fly !
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
SUPERGONZO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with ED, the Scout is a relatively decent 2 channel plane....but you are not really learning how to fly as you would on later planes, I agree, start off with 3 channels and you'll be happier in the long run. There are some FUN 2 channel RTF Toys...but they are just that TOYS. As also mentioned previously...there are literally hundreds..probably thousands of people who have flown a Aerobird Challenger successfully as their first plane, and then graduated to 4 channels and beyond, and I am not ashamed to say I am one of them. Almost everyone I meet who flies, when I ask them about there first trainer plane, the answer is nearly always the Aerobird Challenger.

The Scout tail boom is suspect as pointed out, and its a really delicate plane, but it will fly..
Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok buddy let me tell you something I bought the aerobird challenger as my first plane and it was awsome i mean awsome! then this new FBF came out, then like an idiot I went and bought one. I flew it the next day, and it was fun untill I tryed landing it. i came nose down cause of it nose heavyness lol. I totally recommend the challenger it is really great in 12 mph winds no more then it will fly away like a peice of hair. i think you will enjoy this plane alot !
Have fun!!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
packyj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i came nose down cause of it nose heavyness
again, i have none of the issues the rest of the people on the forum seem to have. I find my freedom soaring a good 30 to 40 feet past my intended runway as it just doesn't want to quit gliding... Maybe some have balance issues or people just aren't taking the time to trim them out properly.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
ConRMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]Question: I just got my Firebird Freedom and am in the process of triming it out and getting ready for the first flight. It seems tail heavy but because of the unsual design I need to know where the CG is calculated to be. If someone knows where the CG is please respond to this post. [8D]
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
ConRMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Help - Help I reciently bought a Firebird Freedom and in pre-flight set up I noticed that the CG is not where I expected it to be. I have a stock, unmodified, Freedom and the CG is 1 1/4" forward of the wing trailing edge. Freedom technical support says it should be at the spar. Is anyone out there that could check where the CG is on their Freedom? I'm not sure where to go next with this tail heavy plane, certainly not flying!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you have the battery in it when you check the CG?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
manuel frias

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

were do i buy spares for the challenger? M[&o][]y electronics do not work any more and my local hobby store said they discontinued the airo bird challenger but I do not want to throe this plane away because of this it was such a grate plane and still is.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can buy an AB3 Fuselage for $43 an you have the new bird and all the new electronics ready to go.

I don't see the ABC fuselage being available.

That is how I went from the AB to the ABC, I bought the ABC fuselage.

Go for it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service