Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Hobbico super cub rtf or Slo-v rtf?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobbico super cub rtf or Slo-v rtf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
takevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico super cub rtf or Slo-v rtf?

I think i have down to these two for my first plane, now im going to be running in a huge high school gym, but also nice days outside even thou fall is here with winter approaching. I just would like to get something that isnt quite as fugly as the slo v, but since its a slow plane, and im a newb im guessing its the way to go for a lot of indoor especially over winter here in il. Whatcha think? Could i get away with the super cub in a gym that is 210 by 120 by 35 feet high? Or just slo v, or something else im missing in a rtf? thankyou kevin
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: Hobbico super cub rtf or Slo-v rtf?

Between the two models, for flying in a gym, I'd say that most definitely get the Slo-V. Even though it is a slow plane, it WILL be a handful for a new flyer in a small confined space. I'd practice a lot outdoors and get used to it's handling before attempting any indoor flying. It is a slow plane, but that's *relative* to other "normal" planes, slow for the Slo-V means a "blazing" 10-15 mph in order to keep from stalling. With that in mind, the Super Cub is a "faster" larger plane, and mainly because it is heavier with a smaller wing area, which means it really is not meant for indoors.

It is up to personal preference really. I started out flying with a Slo-V, and have since the past 2 years flown 3-4 other faster planes (20-40 mph electrics), but always find myself the most comfortable with the Slo-V. Even in slightly windy days (~5-8mph winds) I can fly it pretty much where I want it to go. Of course, I crashed about a 100 times through my learning experience, and now I only crash because of stupid "daring" mistakes or wind gusts, or equipment failure, instead of noobish control or other issues.

I've upgraded my Slo-V to standard radio gear and a cheap brushless motor / li-poly battery after getting confident enough with my skills. On warm summer days I practice thermalling and soaring my Slo-V and see how long I can last in the air without using power. Granted the weather will not be the best for flying in the next few months, I will still get some time in the air whenever I get the opportunity. Parts are cheap, and simple to fix (as in $2-15 for props, fuselage, servos, wings, and ~$40 for the receiver/esc unit)

The Super Cub, though no indoor flyer (to my knowledge) is supposed to be a great sturdy trainer (after a litte bracing and has won much praise from people who've learnt/are learning on it.

Now you asked if there are other good RTFs (and not ARFs) out there, and the answer is yes, but again I don't know of too many that are a) as popular and easy to find parts for as the Parkzone line of planes, and b) able to fly slow enough for newbies and indoors like the Slo-V [8D]. Other similar planes like the Slo-V is the Merlin RTF from Megatech that has a traditional rudder/elevator instead of V-tail. Not as popular though at least in my area parts and sales wise.

If you do want to go the ARF route and buy your own radio and electronic gear, which I can say is a better cost effective way to go from my experience, then you can buy a suitable indoor/outdoor plane such as a $30-40 GWS Slow Stick (kit only, similar to Slo-V but apparently lighter and thus possibly slower, and normal rudder/elev.) and for outdoor flying you can get another plane such as a J-3 Cub or similar high-wing trainer type ARF, and just switch your radio gear back and forth, or heck just install everything in both, and just plug the battery in one and fly.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Leo L

Unfortunately, for a beginner, neither of the two planes that you list can be flown in the gymnasium that you describe. The SuperCub needs at least 600ftx600ft for a beginner, and should be flown at least 150ft above the ground. The Slow-V needs an area at least 300ftx300ft and should be flown at least 50ft in the air. A properly adjusted Slow-V, in the hands of an experienced flyer, could be flown in your 210ftx120ft gym, but it would take a good deal of concentration and would not be a lot of fun. The SuperCub, even in the hands of an experienced flyer, could not be flown in that area for an reasonable amount of time.

Although there probably are some 3-channel planes that can be flown in that area, the only planes that I can comfortably say would be OK for that area are 2-channel. The Firebird Scout should be OK, and the Airhogs AeroAce would be an absolute blast. I've had three AeroAces going in an area about half of your gym and they were a ton of fun, so your bigger size gym should be great for them.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about the winter. You should still be able to get plenty of calm early mornings and cold temperatures are not a problem as long as you keep the battery warm until flight time. If you have snow, simply make a pair of skis for your plane, or handlaunch and belly land.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Slo-V Flyer

....And what he said
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 PM
waters10

Yeah, I was concerned about starting on this hobby at the worst time of the year. But in reality, you don't need to spend more than 10-15 minutes out in the cold. Plus, parks are empty, meaning less risk of hitting somebody, have interferences or anything like that. I'm flying before work almost everyday with my SC.