Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

BEST PLANE TO START MY 6 YEAR OLD?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Muzzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default BEST PLANE TO START MY 6 YEAR OLD?

I would like to get a decent plane for my six year old to learn to fly. He's flown the 2 channel jobbies (which I really dislike) but the darn things won't stay in the air during a turn so we're constantly smashing them into the ground and the flight time is om;y about 4 minutes even when we keep them in the air. I wold liek something that I can take to the park with him. Are their any electric trainer models that will self level when you let go of the controls? My first Nitro trainer woudl do that. Anyway, it's been several years and I hav enot kept up with the hobby so when I started looking and found literally hundreds of electric park flyers I had no idea what to get for him. I am leaning towards a sail plane due to their slwoer speeds and slower response times. let me know what you all think.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
tankertoad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BEST PLANE TO START MY 6 YEAR OLD?

Muzzler,
I just did about a week's worth of research into this very topic. My son is turning 6 in a couple of weeks and I wanted something we could fly indoors (it's cold and windy here) on a buddy box. My criteria was: slow and easy to fly plus compatible with my other foamies. I ended up with a GWS Pico Stick F (fuselage version). I didn't get the IPS (indoor power system) because I don't like geared motors (you are always replacing the gears). Instead, I bought the slope glider version from Tower Hobbies and am outfitting it with a GWS brushless outrunner and GWS ESC. Fewer moving parts, more power and not that much more $ than if you bought the IPS version. I use small (600-800mAh) 3 cell Lipos on my foamies, so they should work on this plane also. It will be a couple of weeks before we start flying, but I'm hoping for good results. I also looked at the stick version of the Pico stick, but it didn't seem durable enough for using it as a trainer. If you want something for outdoors, the GWS slow stick may be the way to go. Otherwise, my son has flown a Hobbyzone plane with good results (as long as I do takeoff and landings and am coaching him through the flight.) Once the weather gets nice, I think I'll get him one of the Hobbyzone planes with the ACT and see how that goes. Good Luck! - MT
Old 11-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Although you have tried various 2-channel planes with litle success, I'm willing to bet that you didn't try the AirHogs AeroAce. If you check out the various threads, you will find that this is a plane that just about everyone loves. Don't go for any substitutes, because as you found out, most of the other 2-channel planes aren't worth buying. The AeroAce comes with a lithium battery and gets about 12-15 minutes of flight per charge. Its only 9", so it can be flown in an area the size of a basketball court or indoors in a gymnasium. It comes in two body styles: both are very good but the bi-plane is a little better for indoor flying, while the jet is a little better for outdoors. Tape a dime to the nose of the plane to reduce the tendency to "porpoise" and you and your son will have a blast flying it. At $30, you can buy two so that the two of you can fly at the same time. The plane is virtually indestructable, so you don't waste time making repairs. All of your time is spent flying.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Muzzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll look at the aero ace as well as the slow stick (which tx/rx package would be good for this plane?)
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 AM
tankertoad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just went with the micro rcvr that GWS makes. For around $25 bucks you can get it with a crystal from Tower. I'll have my son using a basic Futaba Skysport 4 channel so I'll have to set the throws low so he doesn't over-control it. I may pick up one of those Air Hogs too. My gym is smaller than I thought. I smacked up my GP Flatouts Edge 540 pretty good tonight. Depth perception is tricky trying to watch a moving object in a small space with lots of background detail.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The AeroAce is a lot of fun in a gym. Try bouncing it off the walls and see if you can get it to continue flying before it his the ground. You can also practice your basketball skills: fly it full speed into the center of the backboard and see if it will fall into the hoop. Its great having a plane that is virtually indestructable.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a couple AAs too and they are great fun and easy.
If you want to get a little more advanced and feel like the Litestick is a bit flimsy (I agree) the Pico Tiger Moth is one of my all time favorites for just kicking around. It looks like a real plane and levels itself like you were wanting. I use the IPS drive with 7 cell 300Mah Nimh. That was before BL got so cheap. I would go BL now. You will be a little cramped in a gym but no problems in the street out front of the house.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:13 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The T-IFO might be a good choice. Doesn't look like a plane but it can be very slow and is very very hard to break.

T-IFO package - $69
http://www.flyifo.com/htmlpages/ordertifo.html#
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
patboone7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would definately recommend the AirHog. I just picked up an AA bi-plane from Toy's-R-Us for $24.99 and have flown it everyday since Saturday. My backyard is kinda cramped with a few small trees and I can still manuever around and have 10 minutes of fly time easy. It takes like 10 minutes between charges and charges directly from the controller which takes 4 AA batteries and the plane comes with the included LiO battery. Like mentioned before it will porpoise(sp?) but I cut a small slit in the nose and glued a dime inside with foam safe glue. Perfect for kids and adults like me. the weather is dropping here and getting out to the field to fly is sometimes a chore, so when you wanna fly fast and have fun, this was my best route and I can't say enough about it. I'm getting the helicopter next and thinking about getting the AirHog Stormchaser!

Heres a few pics of mine and the dime trick!

P.s. after several collisions with the house, cars and trees, no damage, I pulled some of the paint off the nose when I removed the included (junk) nose weights, oh well!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
dwayne_carlin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The T-IFO is a neat little aircraft, but the cost is out of control over 300 if you do not have any of your own equ all ready for this little bird. I would recommend the aero ace biplane its a great little fly-er that can take a enormous abuse believe me mine has taking a beating and is still flying even after my lab decided to play fetch with it. Also the components out of the areo ace can be canabalized for later projects, and you can find many mods and plans to build on these forums.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Muzzler

I would like to get a decent plane for my six year old to learn to fly. He's flown the 2 channel jobbies (which I really dislike) but the darn things won't stay in the air during a turn so we're constantly smashing them into the ground and the flight time is om;y about 4 minutes even when we keep them in the air. I wold liek something that I can take to the park with him. Are their any electric trainer models that will self level when you let go of the controls? My first Nitro trainer woudl do that. Anyway, it's been several years and I hav enot kept up with the hobby so when I started looking and found literally hundreds of electric park flyers I had no idea what to get for him. I am leaning towards a sail plane due to their slwoer speeds and slower response times. let me know what you all think.

Give us a budget and how much space you have.

Are you looking for an RTF, ARF or kit?

Buddy box capability?

How much space will you have?

The Aeroace has a great reputation and is super cheap so that might be an option. Note that it might need some trimming and balacing.

If you are looking for something RTF and you will be actively helping him look at three channel planes. If you are looking for something he is likely to be able to fly on his own, stay with the 2 channel EPP planes like the AeroAce.

HobbyZone 3 channel

Aerobird Challenger $110 complete
Super Cub - $160

Smaller space and slower speed ( calmer air )

Slo-V.

More to the ARF/KIT side would be
Buy your own radio system
You could set up a buddy box.

GWS Pico tiger Moth - 3 channel
GWS Slow Stick - 3 channel

All of these will be self leveling given enough altitude. Keep him above 100 feet or he will crash before the planes can pull out.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
FMB42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A friend just got two AeroAces while X-mas shopping for his 8 yr old son. We tried one out in my 270'x210' back yard and it flew very well. I hit my stucco house with it and he flew it into a chain link fence yet, these mishaps resulted in no real damage to the plane. It also survived getting stuck in an oak tree with no problems (we got it down with a fiberglass extending paint pole). We tried to fly my 2 ch. twin motor Air Phantom but could not keep it in the yard due to the very wide turning radius of this plane. The AA is a good little plane for back yard flying as long as there is little or no wind. Just be sure to put a dime or penny in the nose as mentioned above.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 PM
flyingace451

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would go with an Aero Ace or a Hobby Lobby Cobweb II or the Hobby Lobby I.F.O. as mentioned above. The quality of the plane won't matter too much to a 6 year old, so the Aero Ace would probably be best. Heck, sometimes I have more fun with my AA Jet than I do with my Stryker...
Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 AM
clovus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go the aero ace. I think it is one of those things that will bring a lot more people into our hobby. You are extremely unlikely to hurt anybody if you hit them, they take a beating, they fly ok and they're cheap. We all know the pain of crashing and seeing your plane destruct whilst battling the learning curve. Not anymore!!