Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

delay in control surfaces

Old 11-24-2006, 08:33 PM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default delay in control surfaces

Hi all

I have Cermark New Timer and have had quite a few flights on her now, but noticed some thing strange on the last flight, there seemed to be a delay in the response of the control surfaces , I have a focus 3 radio. The only thing I have been doing lately is flying on the simulator because bad weather, I use a flight model that is very close to my plane, I checked all the servos and control connections for being tight, Do these low cost radios have this delay that i might not have noticed, before using the sim that has instant response ? I dont know that is why i am asking, because i had a hell of time landing my plane the last time.

Thanks

Brent
Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
agshane
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: delay in control surfaces

You didn't mention what type of sim you were using, but just a guess is maybe that your batteries maybe a tad low.

Some sims have an advanced setting where you can make the performance more "realistic". It makes takeoffs and landings lots more difficult.

Hope that helps

Happy Landings
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks AG

I am using FMS with some photo realistic back drops that makes it somewhat better than the standard 3d graphics that come with it, though it does not have a advance setting you can edit the flight model with CG, loading, power settings which before i edited the model it was kinda lame, good point on the batteries, i was up for maybe 10 min but not to the point of motor shutdown, but that was my longest flight to date, so maybe the batteries were kinda of zapped. I am going to stay off the sim for a while and just fly and see if the sim is giving me a false sense of confidence.

Thanks

Brent
Old 11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If there is a visible, detectable delay between the time you move the stick and the time the surfaces move, you've definitely got a problem.

However, if the control surface moves immediately when you move the stick, your simulator plane is set up to be more responsive than your "meatspace" plane
Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 PM
brentg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Matt,
After I read your post I dug into this a little deeper and found a big problem, The servo tray had one of its vertical glue joints broke, with just moving the servos on the bench I did not notice any movement, but I had my wife put some pressure on the the rudder an elevator and holy crap the tray moved back and forth, I am glad the other joint held while in the air that could have been bad news, I guess it pays to check and recheck everything after each flight, ya never know when some gremlin will come up and bite you in the behind.

Thanks again Matt

Brent