Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Good bigenner plane?

Old 12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
saleens7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good bigenner plane?

i have been looking at geeting into the RC plane hobby....looked at getting a nitro trainer at first, but thoght an electric would be better for my surroundings, dont go the feild often, but there is a doos sized feild across from where i live....are their any good bigenner planes fro not too much money??

I would prefer to have aileron control on it also, but i can go with a 3 channel instead...how do the planes without ailerons keep from tipping though...if they ever get upsidedown, how do they recover??

I have been looking at the J3 cub and (would prefer to get) the aerobird swift as it has aileron;s, but i was told uts not a good bigenner plane....

I have also been looking at slow flyers too....

if anyonw knows any good websites to buy these planes, could they list em??
Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
jakeup20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Good bigenner plane?

I learned to fly with a GWS Beaver, the SuperCub is also a very good plane to learn on.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Planes without ailerons are designed to be self-righting. This is accomplished by giving the wing some dihedral, which naturally makes the plane roll back to level flight. A high wing also helps; the weight of the plane hanging beneath the wing tends to correct any left-right roll.

You'll get plenty of recommendations for your first plane. Many people will recommend the plane with which they learned to fly.

Whichever plane you eventually purchase, here are a couple of tips for success.

1. Find a large, open field for your first flights. This is essential! The field should be a lot larger than you think you need! You want it to be large enough that you can fly for a good distance in a straight line before you have to make your first turn. I had a lot of problems teaching myself to fly until I finally found a big field. Later on, you'll be able to fly in smaller spaces, but at the beginning, a big field is required.

2. Make your first flights on a calm day. Don't be tempted to try it on a day with a light breeze. Wait for calm conditions.

By the way, I learned to fly with a GWS Pico Tiger Moth.

- Jeff
Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 PM
saleens7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ill propbably go with a slow flyer..they are considerably cheaper, larger (one im looking at has a 40+" wingspan) and they are ligter so slow flying wont cause stalling problems.....

just trying to gather some early info...by the looks of things, wont be able to get it for a while...already had my christmas list filled with boat stuff and due to limited money parents will let me spend, there ws not room for a plane...

does anyone know of other planes similar to the slow flyer?? would an electric powered glider be a good plane too...i know where to get some nice ones for less than 100$ rtr, but they have a different controller than normal ones and i would want to get used to the regular style controller...does anyone alse know of a website that carries powered gliders too???
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The slow flyers are nice beginner planes, particularly if you have a limited flying area, but are substantially limited by their inability to cope with any wind.

Probably the two best beginner planes are the HobbyZone SuperCub:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

and the Multiplex EasyStar:
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/product_p/mpu13203.htm
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
stinger40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Soarstar!!! This plane is fun no matter what skill you are. The best part? You can be flying under $150!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SFM1000
Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 PM
erked

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Easy: Easy Star. Really - I have never read anything negative and taught myself to fly. Search for this plane.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
cjg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I taught myself on the supercub. Great fun and really easy to fly. Besides, it looks like a real airplane, not a stick with wings!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 PM
ronrico418

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am a beginner and decided to go with a Hobbyzone Aerobird Swift. 126.00 out the door RTR at my local hobby shop. I got about an hour stick time on a simulator at the hobby shop and when I felt like I could land safely I took out my bird for her maiden voyage. You can view a rookie pilots first ever run at google videos search "hobbyzone swift". I AM VERY GLAD I chose Airelons as long as you remember a little up elevator when your turning things should be fine. Fly high to get used to your controller and have fun. The Swift is very durable and fix it parts should be easily aquired and inexpensive. Check out my landing not the best but also not a scratch on my plane. I know the swift is a HZ zone 3 product but simply check out my video I was even able to get a couple of stunts in on my 1st run. Looking to get a Stryker C tomorrow. Just fly within your limits and don't fly if there is any wind. -Joe Rod
Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 AM
vrocks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cjg

I taught myself on the supercub. Great fun and really easy to fly. Besides, it looks like a real airplane, not a stick with wings!
Word!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM
jacagigi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys, I have a question. I have over 25 year of experience flying in flight simulators. I am thinking of buying the Aerobird Swift as my 1st. rc airplane. I know they are differents, but can I count on that experience? I have to confess that not be able to roll in flying IS BORING. What you guys think about it.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Id have to agree...

the Parkzone Super Cub is a good beginner plane. I sat this weekend and watched as a new pilot literally slammed that plane into the deck about 30 times, and it kept right on flying. I think most of us watching were amazed that the landing gear stayed in the plane. I wished I had it on video, because it probably would have sold this plane to any beginner thinking about one. It was almost funny to watch.

Its a rather large plane, so keep that in mind also.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
CitaFly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look at the video and the end of my HobbyZone Super Cub review:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=28]Super Cub Review[/link]

This fellow flew in it into trees, cartwheeled etc and it kept on flying - one tough bird!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
crashproof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depending on what ya want to put into it. The ElectricStar by Hobbico is a good plane. I have about 25 flights on mine and it flys great. Good Luck, Kevin Mac.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 AM
ozrcboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the interesting challenges with three channel planes is making them roll - they can all do it - you just have to figure out how.

An aileron plane might (might!) be okay provided it self corrects otherwise what will probably happen is you will get it up on one side and (despite any actual flying experience) lose orientation, roll in the wrong direction, end up upside down, panic, pull up, and nose in. That's if your brain actually functions during this period - the other thing I often see happen with beginners with aileron planes that don't self correct is a complete brain fart - they've made 3 succesful turns, but as they make their fourth one they realise the ground is now only 10 metres away (because they have lost a ton of altitude on each corner and never got it back), panic, forget which way they turned into the corner (because they don't actually have their orientation figured out - they are remebering the stick input they gave to enter the corner and doing the reverse to get out of the bank) and the plane remains on it's side, getting zero lift until it hits the ground either wing tip, or nose first resulting in a spectacular cartwheeling crash that always leaves something busted.

The three beginner's planes that I know of are Electrafun XP, Hobbyzone Supercub and Multiplex Easystar - there are plenty of others. Three channel probably is best (for the reasons I outlined above). If you want some more of my thoughts ont his stuff I've written some
[link=http://www.oz********.com/2007/03/learning-to-fly-beginners-guide.html]notes for people trying to learn to fly RC by themselves.[/link]

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am also looking for a first plane with some certain specifications. I have plenty of time on a simulator and I can fly very well. I fly a real t-rex 450 but have never flown a "true" RC plane. My dad has been building and flying his real RC planes for many years, so I have some one that can help me do repairs and teach me how to fly a real plane. If anyone can give me some good suggestions from their own experience of a plane with these general specs:
1. really want a 4 channel
2. I dont have a big flying field readily available so I would like one that can be flown in smaller areas.
3. I would like it if the spare parts for this plane are readily available (like wings, and tails and important stuff)
4. It can be an ARF because I have a spektrum dx7 and the reciever that came with it not bieng used, (I just need a speed controler and some servos and a motor)
5. as far as budget goes I want to keep it at or below about $200 but I can go over a little if necessary

Thanks for anyone who gives me suggestions!

David
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even though you say that your dad will be available to help you learn, I would advise you to start with a good quality beginner plane. The two best are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. I prefer the Cub due to its landing gear.

If you are strongly intent on starting with a 4-channel plane, the Wing Dragon may be your best bet. Many people start with the standard wing (non-aileron) and as they get better they switch to the optional aileron wing.

The Mulitiplex Mini Magistar (minimag) is another one for you to consider.

More advanced planes, that will require more assistance from your dad, would be the E-flite Mini Ultrastick and the ParkZone Typhoon (flown on low rates only).