Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Electristar Select EP Trainer RTF

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobbico Electristar Select EP Trainer RTF

Old 12-24-2006, 09:49 AM
windshadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Electristar Select EP Trainer RTF

thanks Greg I ordered the electristar yesterday it will be here in jan cant wait I went with the nimh batteries. this will be the plane I learn on thanks for all the info in your posts.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 AM
windshadow

thanks greg I ordered the plane yesturday, it will be in some time in jan it is on back order. I am going with the nimh batts . this is the plane I will learn on thanks for the info you put in on this plane. have a great x-mas and new year
Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 PM
wingride47
My Feedback: (2)

I got mine and it looks real good what I need is a recomendation for a cheap ac\dc battery charger for the two 8.4 v 3000 mah nimhs.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:21 PM
rcinstructor

FLIGHT REPORT: Electristar flies very similar to the hobbico Superstar .40 select RTF with the OS LA.40 engine. Thrust is just a bit less then the superstar/avistar but it still leaps off my paved runway in less then half it's 51 foot width. Multiple Loops from level are no problem and the rate of climb is right on target for a .40 size trainer. I'm using the recommended pair of Electriflight 3000mah 8.4v NiMh batteries and the plane is in stock configuration. Out of the box the the control throws are the way I like them; almost 3D and very, very sensitive for a trainer. Make note of that as any newbie student will give his instructor a heart attack if flown that way. My general overall impression of build quality is that is is superior to the Avistar and Superstar. Nice improvement Hobbico; many kudos. Ok thats the good stuff now the minor complaints. Even after triple cycling the batteries 3 times on my Triton2 before the first flight they only gave me 3min 42 sec on the first flight. After 4 flights my flight time is up to 10min 42sec with throttle modulation but that did include 4 touch and goes. The motor and speed control stay quite cool but the batteries come out much hotter then I'd like. Hobbico advertises an 11/7 propeller but the plane came with an unmarked 11/10. I suspect that it's pulling a hair to much current for these batteries. My recomendation might be to prop down one size or get a slightly better battery/batteries from the beginning. Overall hobbico really has the making for a home run here but you will have to have a bunch of batteries. Please post the results of your upgrades here as I will follow them. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
JLIN26

RCinstructor--I noticed on the HCA website for the ElectriStar that they are recommending a HCA Dual Peak charger. That must be new. It's for the recommended NiMH batteries for the ElectriStar. You can charge 2 battery packs at 5A at the same time. It has a built in cooling fan & an auto-trickle that will keep the batteries topped off. I'm going to check this out on tower hobbies website too. I'll let you know more if I find anything out.

http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa12.html
I really liked how you can click on the included components & it gives you more information about the motor, esc & computer radio.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We flew the ElectriStar today and it performed very well. The maiden flight was using the two NiMH packs and the second flight used the lighter LiPo pack. Even though the grass was rough and muddy, the ElectriStar handled it well. We could loop it, roll it, and fly some very low passes. The plane flew stabile and landed easily.

The only issue I saw was some pulsing from the maiden flight takeoff. It appears that the NiMH packs had a problem delivering the current at full throttle after their first charge. They should improve after a few cycles. The issue was not seen using the 20C 3200mAh LiPo packs that can deliver 64 amps.

I'll post some video soon...

flying photos by "Papa Jeff" Ring
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66678.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	586070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25484.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	586071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22324.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	586072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26161.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	586073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73323.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	586074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90817.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	586075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz52610.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	586076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq55774.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	586077  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq15178.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	586078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk56618.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	586079  
Old 12-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Greg Covey

The maiden flight of the ElectriStar used the two 7-cell NiMH packs in series as a stock configuration. The take-off used 3/4 throttle as we noticed some motor surging likely due to the new NiMH packs still needing a few cycles to gain strength.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/reviews/Electristar1.wmv]ElectriStar Maiden Flight Video 1[/link] (10meg)

The second flight used a 4-cell 3200mAh (20C) LiPo pack which weighed 1lb less than the two NiMH packs. The short take-off used only 1/2 throttle. Although the plane flew fine using the two NiMH packs, the lighter LiPo pack really gave the ElectriStar extra spirit. It makes for a great (and easy) upgrade once you have mastered the trainer.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/reviews/Electristar2.wmv]ElectriStar LiPo Pack Video 2[/link] (12meg)

flying photos by "Papa Jeff" Ring
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13544.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	586525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89076.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	586526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74221.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	586527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46335.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	586528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40910.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	586529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85919.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	586530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64539.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	586531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db96009.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	586532  

Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Ice Fun

Two more questions please, Mr. Greg.
How often should I replace the rubber bands? I would really hate putting the stability of the wing at risk.
And what do you think the top speed of this plane is? (in mph)

thanks for your help!

EDIT: Added a question
Old 12-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Greg Covey

The manual calls for using 14 rubber bands which are included in the kit. The last 2 rubber bands are crossed over to help keep the others on. This redundancy of 7 bands per side offers good strength and stability so I usually do a visual check for cracked or dried out rubber bands when I put them on. If they are marginal, they usually break when you try to apply them. Sometimes they last for a few weeks or a few months depending on the storage conditions and weather conditions. When not in use, I keep the rubber bands in a sealed plastic bag.

My guess for the top speed of the ElectirStar might be 40-50mph.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Ice Fun

Thanks for the reply.

My only concern is what if I break the airframe? Do you know if Hobbico will release an ARF version of this plane? Or is it possible to install the motor and electrical parts onto another 40 plane?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Johnnyrocco123

I am very interested in this plane, I like my Superstar ep but really want the bigger plane with the brushless motor. My question is a about the batteries???? I want to go with LiPo. Are there two or one??? Im confused, if using one battery how do you custmize the connections form the speed controller? also what is the weight difference between the two standard batteries and the two Lipo batteries? What about the diffenece in weight from the two stock batteries to the one Lipo???? Appreciate any feedback
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
cram2red

I was browsing in my LHS and saw this plane. I was immediatly attracted to it. I have only 1 other plane which is a beggining electric plane and I have mastered it. It's small and I wanted to step up a bit. I wouldn't say I'm an expert RC pilot but I'm not awful. Is this a good choice for a second plane?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Ice Fun

Thanks for the reply.

My only concern is what if I break the airframe? Do you know if Hobbico will release an ARF version of this plane? Or is it possible to install the motor and electrical parts onto another 40 plane?
Ice Fun,

Hobbico has a history of providing excellent parts support, so if you do break a major part of the plane so badly that it isn't worth repairing (no such thing as "can't be repaired" with a wooden-framed plane ), you will be able to buy major components.

Should you totally destroy the plane beyond reasonable repairability, that power system will transfer to other .40-size trainer and "second" planes with some minor modifications.

(Hope Greg doesn't mind me sticking my nose in, but I know he doesn't do the building airplanes thing)
Old 01-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Greg Covey

Thanks, Matt. My new job outside the R/C industry has been keeping me busy.

Check out the link below, Tower Hobbies has already added the ElectriStar parts.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=Electristar&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]ElectriStar Parts at Tower Hobbies[/link]

The ElectriStar makes a good first plane when trained in the traditional R/C club manner. If you have already flown and R/C plane then the ElectriStar should be fine as your second plane.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 AM
OhioBuckeye

Greg,

I'm curious if you use RealFlight G3.5? It has the Electristar and I'm wondering if you've you've flown the simulated version?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
ran1w2k

Well I am not Greg but i have flown the Electristar in the G3.5 thats what plane I have used to learn to fly at first i was no good crashes several time but now I have it down and can take off and land not prob at all.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
mtlrckr351

ORIGINAL: kihei11

My son's getting one whether he wants it or not. Thanks for review Greg
LMAO
Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

My son Got his electristar I have about 20 flights on it using nimh He flew it twice. This plane really slows down, need a touch of power on approach. doesn't like to fly inverted but loops all day long.
Great package.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Johnnyrocco123

To anybody who can help???

Im somewhat new to Electric Flying and have been having a hard time trying to find the right weather conditions to fly in. I just bought a Hobbico Electristar, to let you know the size and weight Im dealing with. It seems every time I go out to a flying field the wind is blowing like crazy. Im a little aprrehensive about trying to fly in the wind. If I check on weather conditions what wind speeds are safe for flying a trainer like The Electristar????? It seems my smaller plane, "the skyfly" is totally unflyable if there is any wind at all. Can you only fly this plane on no wind days??? Im getting frustrated
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
windshadow

well I picked mine up today it looks great in the box will put it all together tommarrow hope to try her out sat or sunday pends on the weather. the fellow who will be training me to fly this thing said it looks to be a good trainer. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Greg-
Im SURE you dont remember me ,but about 2 1/2 years ago I Emailed you asking a few questions about my very first RC Airplane ( parkzone J-3 cub). Your advice Really Sent me in the right direction with that...and on to the Multiplex easy star as my second....and NOW years later and about 25 airplanes 5 helis...and all kinds of Stories, crashes, and Fun I have just Purchased this Electristar to use as one of my aerial Photography Planes. THAT Is my Big hobby now. The Trainer style planes have Proven to be Wonderful aerial Photography platforms.
Ive been trying to learn all I can about the electric Systems for The Planes and Helis as I Feel It is SO MUCH Better than the Noisy and Filthy Gas, Nitro, and so on But Without Being up to speed with all the Big electric systems and so forth, I have been hesitant to do a full conversion of a Big trainer like the Hobbico( gas model) and Now with seeing the electristar hit the market and already equipped with the Proper ( Nice quality) equipment, I Had to have one...Maybe two ;-).
I DO However have a slight problem with the Powering this Thing. The Guy at My LHS (Hobbytown USA) is VERY Friendly and Couldnt be more attentive to the customers when they enter the store BUT...I Think he Lacks a little bit of know how in the Electricity Side of the Hobby. First of all He Told me that the Electristar Came equipped with TWO HIHM Batteries. WOW!? Ok Cool...well When I got home Mine Didnt have it....and of course after further Reading I understood They Arent Equipped. I Wanted to use Lipo anyway as I Could Stand to Lose some weight for the addition of My camera and gear. I went BACK Up to the store the Same Guy attempted to help me Get a Couple of lipos.. Well When he was finished with me.... My Bill was going to be $249!!!! JUST BATTERIES and Balancer...they didnt have the electrify Brand..So He Had what he said was equal.They were Each 7.4v 3000 mah. Thunder power..and $95 each....I Was going to Just Bite the Bullet it THEN (Here is the main reason Im Writing to You). He then Said I needed the Thunder Power Charging balancer. ($59) and said this was Needed to Charge The batteries so that they are Charged at exactly the same level. I Just didnt want to take the chance without knowing for sure...It just seems I Could power this plane for a Bit less. I Honestly would much rather Use One Larger Lipo than to have to deal with two Seperate. I read in your review that you used one 4 cell and and rigged up shorting stub for the one side. I Could also Go the way you described with the Two Lipo Battery types. So Basically The Big thing I Need to Know..Was he correct in trying to sell me the Charging balancer?..or was it a Different type of balancer that is needed? and Since I'd really Like to go the Single battery route, How much should I Expect to Pay for A Battery like that?(ballpark) Is There an online site you or anyone else can reccomend? I Usually Cant wait and Buy all my batteries at the LHS. But Since Im Going up in size with all of this I Think Im going to start Ordering My Gear. Plus I Think I'll really hurt the Hobbyshop Guys Feelings If He was in fact wrong about the Way he was telling me to Go.
Thanks In advance Greg ( and anyone else who would care to Reply) Im Sorry for the Long winded Post here, But you know how it goes when you are confused. LOL ;-)
Take care Guys
Donnie
Glen Burnie Md
U.S.A
Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Donnie,

It sounds like you have progressed nicely. After 25 planes and 5 helis, you are now in the category that my wife calls "obsessed".

Your experience with the cost of LiPos is normal and the LHS owner made reasonable recommendations. The ThunderPower brand name is a good battery and you should always balance the packs... preferably during a recharge.

I would stay away from many of the cheap LiPos sold on eBay and stick with a brand name that is backed by a reputable distributor.

Here are just a few alternate 4-cell pack choices for the ElectriStar.

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/polyquest.htm]PolyQuest 3300mAh, 3700mAh, 4300mAh or 5000mAh packs[/link]
PQ33004 "Twenty" 4 Cell 14.8V 3300 mAh LiPo Pack ..... $ 158.90
PQ37004 "Twenty" 4 Cell 14.8V 3700 mAh LiPo Pack ..... $ 167.90

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMDN4&P=7]Great Planes LiPo 7.4V 3200mAh 20C 2-cell Pack[/link] for $80.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNWV8&P=7]Kokam 3200mAh 4S1P 20C LiPo Battery[/link] for $172.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNLK0&P=7]Team Orion Avionics SLPB 3200mAh 14.8V 4S-1P LiPo[/link] for $200. Note that this is the same Kokam 3200mAh cells as above.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
windshadow

I flew my new electrastar last week for the first time. Then two times this week end. The plane was great. I maxed out on my radio setting on the first flight. I went home and reset every thing and presto she was flying great . I am working with A trainer to learn how to fly. The first flight went great about 9 min. The second one I did the take off and flew for about 9 min at half power. I have been having a problem with the engine surging at times? If I speed up the power level all the way up then all the way down then back to were I want it the surging stops any I suggestions as to why this would happen? I am using two 3000 mah batts NMH. I am getting about 10 min of fly time at half speed any suggestions welcome. I am verey happy with this plane.[8D]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Johnnyrocco123

Can anyone give me run down on Lipo batteries??? When to charge them, do you keep them half charged when storing, balancing? The pros and cons to using them vs. nmh??? Any feedback would be appreciated. I am very interested if they can increase fly time and achieve better performance. Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
windshadow

ok I guess this post has died?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.