Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

new pilot

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM
acarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pilot

I've been debating between a gas or electric for my first airplane, i've been looking more into electric, but i just saw an add for a tower trainer 40 RTR for $259 and all that i need is about $100 in extras to get it in the air, i have a few gas cars so i'm not completly new to the r/c gas world, i also purchased realflight g3.5 a few weeks ago so i have countless hours on that,

just looking for some opinions on weither i should go with gas or electric

thanks

i've posted the same thread in the airplanes section of rcu also
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Leo L

Default RE: new pilot

It depends on several factors. Will you be learning on your own or will you have an instructor? Where will you be flying: an AMA sanctioned club field or a local park / field / backyard?

If you will be flying with an instructor at a sanctioned field, then there is no difference: choose what you like best. If you will be learning on your own and/or will be flying at a local park / field / backyard, then electric is the only acceptable choice. Glow planes are significantly heavier than electric, making them far more dangerous. It is irresponsible, and in most areas illegal, to fly glow planes in a non-AMA sanctioned location.

Electrics are far lighter and can be much slower than glow, making them a lot better for a beginner. They are also generally cheaper for a beginner, and if you go with foam, much easier and less costly to repair. If you choose electric and plan to learn on your own, checkout the HobbyZone SuperCub if you want to do ground take-offs and landings; and the Multiplex EasyStar if you want to handlaunch and bellyflop land (if your field has no decent landing strip). These are absolutely the two best beginner planes currently available.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
acarter

well i live rigth next to a farm so room to fly and the law won't be a problem, but i don't have a close club so i won't have an instructor, but like i said i have delt with stuborne gas before so as long as planes aren't a whole lot different that gas cars i don't think that it will be a problem

thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 11:09 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are learning on your own, go electric:

HobbyZone Super Cub

Multiplex Easy Star

HZ Aerobird Challenger

These RTF srae good starters
Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
rbsdsu

I started flying when I was in high school (way back when) on a PT40 Glow and ended up flying a stick for quite sometime. I ended up going away to college and didnt fly for several years and now just came back and bought a Sig Kadet EP for reasons only pertaining to not wanting to deal with our local airstrip. I have to say though I am impressed with electric technology! I used to think glow power was the only way to go but I have been proven wrong! I am running the stock engine and 30amp esc with a novak 2 cel cutoff in-line so that I can run lipos. With my 2 cel 2100 mah battery packs I am in love! I have approx. 10 minute of flight at various throttle and a very fun light feeling plane! I would recommend electric to anyone in a heartbeat! I am in the process of converting to a brushless and cc phoeninx 25 esc!