Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

beginner's guide

Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 AM
vodka_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner's guide

hey all, im am new to this forum, and i signed up 2 it to get some sort of idea of how to fly electric airplanes b4 i actually fly my new accipiter badius...
i've done some model aircraf building and assembeling as a kid (about 5 years ago) and the most i did is vuilt an aicraft for R/C control, about 1m x 1m.
Anyway, as i said before, i just bought a 4-CH accipiter badius, with a standard 370 MOTOR WITH GEARBOX, SERVO: PICO/NARO SERIES.
i would be tankful if some1 could refer me to a guide about this plane, and maybe a guide of how to fly electic planes in general... coz i dont really want 2 crash my plane on its 1st filght.

P.S i have flown a fuel-powred R/C airplane before, but it was a LONG time ago (perhaps 5-6 years), and ive only done it once + i had an instructior to do the landing for me...

thanks in adavance, sasha.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: beginner's guide

Vodkaman, If you want all the info known to man about the AB you should go to the park flyers backyard flyers forum and find and post on the Badius owners club thread, there will be a new thread starting to replace it soon but it will be on the same forum, there you will find more help and info than you can imagine, come join in the fun
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 AM
vodka_man

thanks, but how about a guide to how to fly r/c panes in general, i already read a few, and i even played this little free simulator, but im still not sure if im ready 2 fly it.
p.s is badius (a foam one) a good starting airplane?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:14 AM
AJ1202

Vodka, hmm foam you say, you must have the plane called badius that is a knock off of the Formosa, in that case it should fly very nice, I have a formosa and it flys great, as to the guide there is no better way to learn barring a instructor than actualy talking with people and asking specific questions, it is far better than any book. Oh yeah read post 1 on page 1 then go to the end of the thread and jump in
Old 01-01-2007, 08:39 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

plane called badius that is a knock off of the Formosa,
If you have Formosa knock off (rip off?) you do not have a beginner plane. Something more forgiving would be a good idea.

(The Formosa is great, I have one, but it does not "self correct" like a trainer. It goes where you point it, right or wrong.)
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 AM
vodka_man

yeah i shu;d've got trainer, ive been flying some planes in a simulator and a trier (eg: slow stick) is much easier to fly...
but when my AB arrives in a few days, ill how i go with it... do a few takeoffs and landings, and see how it behaves itsself in the air. if ill have lots of toruble controling it ill go buy a slowstick for another AU$100 or so...
oh and i bouth my AB on eBay for AU$65(+35 postage). So it probably would be a fake one, but cheap
Old 01-02-2007, 05:25 AM
AJ1202

Vodka Man does the plane you bought look like this or more like a glider. Perttime is right about the formosa rip off not being a good first plane, but if you are carefull and have good reflexes you should be OK, this plane is very forgiving for a low wing with ailerons, it also floats very well and has a very low stall speed, just make sure your CG is right before you try to fly it, don't assume because it is a RTF the CG is right
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14031.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	588826  
Old 01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
vodka_man

yeah plane look almost identical, except without all the design and drawings on it...
so i guess ill b okay.
but what is RTF and CG?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 AM
hawk3ye

RTF means ready to fly - usually a plane kit that comes with all the electronics, battery, motor, radio control, etc so that you can fly right outta the box

CG means center of gravity - it's like a balance issue, if people say that the "CG" should be 4 inches from the nose then you would balance the plane on something where it would sit 4 inches from the nose and you would add wieght or move parts around so that the plane kinda sits there without falling over too much to the tail or nose...lol does that make sense? My Slo-V (slow stick) had a CG like 3 inches or something from the nose, so I'd move my wing back and forth a bit to the right spot where it would appeared to be "balanced" when I held it 3 inches from the nose.

That being said, the flight programs are pretty darn good, don't be afraiid to crash either, I mean you'll never learn unless you try - one thing to keep in mind when you fly for the first few times is to try and get some altitude so that if I make a wrong turn I have time to correct myself before crashing

Good luck man, and happy new year!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
vodka_man

thanks for that, i've heared people saying get some altitude, but i think for the first time i will jus fly straight ahead, takeoff and land... tull i get the hang of it... then ill get some altitude and start doing some turns.
lol, i knew what centre of gravity is, coz im doin physics @ school and im fimiliar with some aerodynamics, i just didnt know that its refered to as CD, but thnx for that anyway
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
vodka_man

hey, i didnt want 2 open a new topic so ill just post my Q here...
when people say "370 380, 400" motor, those numbers do they actually represent the number of watts that the engine consumes at it's peak?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: vodka_man

when people say "370 380, 400" motor, those numbers do they actually represent the number of watts that the engine consumes at it's peak?
No. Nothing of the kind.
The way motors are named is pretty arbitrary. It is almost never watts. I think "370 380, 400" are approximations of the can lengths of some cheap brushed motors. My GWS E-Starter has a stock GWS "350" motor with a gearbox. I put a much more powerful brushless Typhoon 15/10 on my Formosa.

Do you have any big fields with long hay nearby? That is what I used for a safety blanket when I started flying my E-Starter, after a few months of flying every plane I had on my simulator. It did not prevent damage but it reduced it a bit.