Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Please help newbie fill in the blanks?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Please help newbie fill in the blanks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
JT_Redmist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help newbie fill in the blanks?

Hello All,
I'm new to RC and have never flown a plane before. Having done some research and talking to some people, I think I have my mind set on the EasyStar as a beginner plane. Knowing that I'll end up with more planes, I've decided not to go the RTF kit and get a better radio instead. I've read some threads, and ppl suggest getting a better radio such as the Futaba 6EXA. What do you think? But here's where the confusion starts. Can someone please help suggest the additional parts I'll need to get this bird in the air? Things like battery, chargers, motor controller, etc. Please let me know what I need to order, so I don't end up with missing parts when UPS shows up Links would be greatly appreciated with your suggestions.

TIA,
JT
Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: Please help newbie fill in the blanks?

The 6EX radio is a very nice deal, I've got it, comes with 3 sub-micro servos that will suffice for the EasyStar and many similar planes, and a 6-ch micro receiver which in my experience is not that good for faster planes or even the EasyStar (I always run outta signal range in 200 feet) Oh, and I definitely suggest you buy a power meter of some sort so you can measure the amp draw (important so you don't over amp and burn out your new esc/motor and li-po batt.) Something like the Astro Watt Meter or E-Flite Power Meter (my personal one). It will also diplay things like battery voltage , power in Watts, and other nifty things. I got mine for $45. Good investment you you don't guess anything.

I'm sure others who have actually flown the Easy Star can chime in with better recommendations, however, I can suggest some brushless ESC/motor and battery combos having experience with a couple of similarly sized/weight category planes (GP Mini Super Sportster, GP SE-5). Assuming it weighs about ~20-22 ounces...

Brushless motor / lipo setup on the cheap-end, for some mild aerobatic performance, but not crazy 3D: I'd try the $15 Tower Pro BP-21 (13 amp continous) or even BP-12 (supposed to be better?) brushless motor, $26 Tower Pro 15 amp ESC it can handle 2 and 3-cell li-poly batteries (or equivalent that can handle over the motor's max amp rating). For a battery I'd try to spend the money on a good Li-Poly 3-cell like Thunder Power TP 2100 mah Pro-Lite which can handle upto 30 amps const. ( $70-ish), or even a lightweight 3-cell TP 910 mah (14.5 amps const) or maybe a slightly larger the TP 1320 mah (17 amps const). Use a GWS 8x4.3 prop or similar. About 130 watts of power or a little higher with this setup (there are more powerful motors from Tower Pro that are also very inexpensive..but I have only tried the BP-21)

For a more powerful and a bit pricier setup, you can go with E-Flite's line of Park 400, Park 450 outrunner for real nice performance, or even the Park 480 Outrunner for crazy verticals (ranging from $60 to $70) , an E-Flite 20 (version 2 I tihnk) or 25 amp ESC, or even 40 amp esc with programmable options (from $40 and above). A TP2100 mah Prolite to handle the higher amp draw. I'd try a range of APC 8x4.7E, 8x6E, 9x4.7E 9x6E to 10x4.7E, 10x7E etc., etc., and in between. Anywhere from 150 to 250 watts of power with this setup.

You can find cheaper batteries that others can suggest. I have tried the Thunder Power line so that's just my safe suggestion.

For a first time flier I think you want to forget all the nice brushless and definitely Li-po battery stuff and go with some cheap brushed motor (well the BP motors and ESC are cheap and simple so no trouble there), and go with some Nimh batteries in the 7-8 cell range (8.4 to 9.6v) in 650 to 1000 to 1200 mah 2/3A sized packs.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
JT_Redmist

Thank you very much for the detailed info. I'm putting the pieces together, and hope to be flying in a couple of weeks. If anyone else has any input, please feel free to chime in.

JT
Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
natorato

I cant advise you much but would it be possible to pick one up at a local hobby shop?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
soozoo

buy the best 6 channel you can get. By best I mean Futabr, Airtronics, JR visit a club and pick the least used channel. Buy a decent foamy Some GWS are good others dont fly so well , read the reviews and forums. ASL Her or RCgroups.com. L=polies is what you will end up with and they require special chargers see eflight or great planes.com I would buy one that charges all types (niCad, NiMh and lpoly. L=polies can be dangerous (so can the others. Read everything you can about lpoly safety and never break those rules.

Join the local club they will furnish an instuctor
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 PM
JT_Redmist

ORIGINAL: natorato

I cant advise you much but would it be possible to pick one up at a local hobby shop?
That's a good idea. I'll check out the LHB and perhaps they can configure it for me.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 PM
JT_Redmist

ORIGINAL: soozoo

buy the best 6 channel you can get. By best I mean Futabr, Airtronics, JR visit a club and pick the least used channel. Buy a decent foamy Some GWS are good others dont fly so well , read the reviews and forums. ASL Her or RCgroups.com. L=polies is what you will end up with and they require special chargers see eflight or great planes.com I would buy one that charges all types (niCad, NiMh and lpoly. L=polies can be dangerous (so can the others. Read everything you can about lpoly safety and never break those rules.

Join the local club they will furnish an instuctor

Interesting. It never crossed my mind about the channel selection. Shows you how new I am. I did order the Futaba 6EXA and just had sales person choose a channel for me. Hopefully not many people will be using it. Crossing fingers. I'm still looking for a good charger, but just so many opinions out there it's confusing. I've been researching about chargers, and some say get one good charger. Others say buy two chargers, so you can charge two batteries at a time. Confusing.

JT
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
soozoo

I have a Pro-Peak Prodigy II ($75.00) It can charge NiCad, NiMh, l-poly and 12 volt lead acid. It is also a discharger. NiCads need to be "cycled" (discharged then recharged every so often. It is not a "balanced" L-Poly charger so if I want to use balanced L-poly cells I will need to make or buy a bancer. Balanced cells are safer and last longer. Rememver all batteries can be dangerouse, never buy used and always buy a known brand.

The writer was right about ailerons. Fullsized aircraft use mostly the alilerons to turn. I used to fly full sized Cessna 150 and Full sized sailplanes. I never touched the rudder on the Cessna except to steer it on the ground and occasionally to crab into the wind while landing. Saiplanes the rudder is mostly used to mainain prober trim.
You might check out building foamies see RCgroups.com a lot of trainers in there that can be built out of foam. The deal is if you waste one it wont make you break your budget.

Flying RC is not a matter of life or death its much more important than that!