Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Advice

Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Bigtimber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Advice

Looking for some stright up advice. I've always been interested in RC planes and wanted to learn to fly. Got a big supprise Christmas with a harbor frieght Yellow Bee. I was REALLY excited about trying her...long story short...NO LUCK to speak of flying this "plane". I really want to learn to fly and was thinking about getting another type plane as I have lost confidence in this rig altogether.
I been reading and looking abit and really like the looks of the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Several have said this is not to hard of a plane to learn on. Straight up....is this plane something I should buy to learn on? I have a large field or two I can use so thats not a problem. Are the replacement parts on this plane cheap? I mean I WILL crash alot I would think learning and just wondering, worse case senerio, what the parts cost to basicily overhaul from a BAD crash? Minor one?
Any input would be appricated...Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Advice

You will hear it over and over in this forum that you have to find someone to work with you to assist getting you up and flying. that would be my first reccomendation. Regarding the plane selection, Yes, I think that the Hobby Zone cub is an o.k. choice to start with. It gives you all you need to get in the air and won't set you back to bad.
Please take the time to read some of the begginner enties recently posted frome those who received X-Mass gifts and thought they could fly on thier own. Long story short..find someone to help out.
have a ball and welcome to this great hobby!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Johnnyrocco123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son learned with a SkyFly from Fly Zone. This plane is great to learn on, and everything you will need is in the box. The cost is only $100. every hobby store has this plane as well as replacement parts. He spent alot of time on an rc simulator(Great Planes G3.5) He's twelve and after training on the sim for about a month, he started flying. After 4 or 5 Flights, he hasnt crashed it yet. I helped him a bit but Im not that experienced myself. I learned on a Hobbico Superstar EP, another great beginner plane, but this plane is made of wood, and I would figure that when I crash it, it's probably done. Unless I want to screw around trying to glue pieces back together. Go with something plastic or foam. They can take a bit of a beating. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The SuperCub is a great choice. Backyard Flyer magazine called it The Perfect Beginner Plane. Get a spare prop, some foam-safe CA glue, 5 minute epoxy, and clear packing tape. Wait until there is no wind and go fly!

If you are nervous following your poor experience, go to Toys-R-Us, Target, etc. and for $30 buy an Airhogs AeroAce (no substitutions). Its a small, easy to fly 2-channel plane that you will have a blast flying. It will also teach you about control reversal (when the plane is flying toward you you must move the controls in the opposite direction from what your intution tells you to do) and it will give you confidence to fly. The plane is virtually indestructable.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Bigtimber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice folks...keep it coming I might pick up a airhog and see about mastering that first. That was the plan with the yellow bee...but things were NOT working out dispite my best efforts[>:].
How about the transition from airhog to cub...is it gonna throw me off bad.
Any more advice for or against the HZ super cub as first/second plane would be appricated! How about replacement parts? Cheap? Thanks a million good people
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've not flown one of those Air Hogs, but have seen them fly, and I'm unsure of how much would actually transfer to flying the Super Cub. If you're learning on your own, at least get something like this:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=233

From what I understand, it's simply a controller and FMS. IMHO, that would be a better investment in learning how to fly the Super Cub.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Although the controls are somewhat different, with the AeroAce being a 2-channel plane, the main thing that you will be learning is 3-dimmensional spacial orientation. You will be learning about control reversal (when the plane is flying toward you it needs steering input that is completely opposite of what your intuition will tell you to do), respect for the wind and trees, etc. Plus, you will be having a ball learning to fly and will not need to wirry about crashing because the AeroAce is virtually indestructable.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
divergoff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Airhogs plane and it is completely different from flying a real R/C plane. I think you will be fine going straight into the SuperCub if you have decent hand/eye coordination. I learned on a parkzone decathlon. I crashed it on my first flight b/c I didn't check the control rates/trim before I flew. But after that is was cake. I am willing to bet the cub is the sameway. Just have an extra prop, tail and wing on hand and don't be mad if the first flight isn't good, but the three channel planes are easy to fly. Good luck and get ready to have a very time/money consuming hobby. But worth every minute and penny, not matter what parent/girlfriend/wife or who ever may say!!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 AM
airdk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son has a couple of other planes the Chalenger and the firebire ( a 2 channel) he got the HZ Supper Cub for christmass. He loves to fly it. It flies well, he can taxi it, and it can take a lot of abuse. He hit the soccor goal upright with his wing while landing and you can not realy see any damage. Latter on he did destroy his prop. Always take a spare prop or two. The plane handles well, and it looks great flying. My son thinks it is the best trainer that you can get (his words not mine).
The only problem that you might have is getting your hands on one, they sell very well. Also make sure that the local RC store carries spare parts. If they do not order several props, a wing, and a tail.
It can take a beating but things do get damaged and you will not want to wait long for repairs. The Props for the supper cub are the same ones that are used on the Mustang, and the FW 190.