Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Aerobatic tricks/tips please :-)

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobatic tricks/tips please :-)

Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 PM
BriGuy76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobatic tricks/tips please :-)

Greetings All

I have been flying a HZ SuperCub for awhile now and have outgrown it. Luckily it's my dad's so I had the opportunity to fly with somebody else that has experience and not have to pay for repairs :-P (Don't worry, he's getting a nice b-day present!) He also has a gas 6ch Piper Cub my grandfather built (beautiful aircraft) and a gas 4ch P51 he is building. But I just bought a Wilga 2000 for my next step and after some more air time I am going to want to try some more complex aerobatics with the added power and manuverability. I got the model with the Brushless Outrunner and LiPoly battery. I hope it works well, it's a very nicely equipt plane for the money, and perfect for the stage of skill I'm at. Plus I want to stick with foam until I am proficient enough to not turn a balsa kit into tooth picks :-P So what I'm looking for is just what tricks people like to do and how they execute them. Ought to be a fun thread and informative to those of us that are trying to expand our stunt library :-) I'm new to this forum and can't wait to see your responses!!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Aerobatic tricks/tips please :-)

Here is a site that illustrates the classic aerobatic maneuvers:
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...vers/index.htm

- Jeff
Old 02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Fliprob17

ALTITUDE ALTITUDE ALTITUDE......the higher up you are the more room you have for a mistake. You can try anything several hundred feet up and have plenty of time to respond if anything goes wrong.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
BriGuy76

Altitude is your friend for sure :-) Sound advice, very appreciated!!! Thanks for the quick responses! I'm a research maniac, so before I do anything I like to study as much as I can. That way suprises are minimised! LOL (yeah right!) Thanks alot for the link too! I'm gonna get this screaming fast dialup headed over there right now!!!!! Keep em coming, good stuff!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
divergoff

One really cool looking plane both R/C and real life
Two I love to do spins. But don't try them till you are comfortable w/ the stall tendences of your plane. To Spin the plane:
1 Pull straigh up
2 Power off
3 Apply full up elevator and full left or right Rudder.
4 Keep the elevator and rudder in to continue the spin
5 To recover neutral elevator, oppsite rudder and pull out of the dive.
I know w/ my Mini Ultra Stick all I have to do is take out the elevator and rudder and she comes right out of the spin, but be prepaired to apply oppsite rudder. Also as stated before Altitude is good. The plane decends fast in a spin so be high first. All in all easy maneuver, but fun b/c people that are watching think ur gonna crash then you recover and pull right out. Have fun and good luck.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 PM
BriGuy76

That is one of my all time favorite stunts!!! Thanks so much!!!

I know I am still very new to the hobby, but i get so frikin giddy when my dad or I perform a stunt that we have seen at airshows for years and years. My only regret is not starting sooner!! Maybe after a couple more years of flying dad will be able to step up to his 6ch gas Piper Cub that my grandfater built some 25 or more years ago. I've seen the plane fly twice, in like the late 70's early 80's. I would love to see her in the air again, but there is alot of sentimetal value there and is sooo pristine it may never see sky again, who knows. Anyway thanks so much for that classic beauty of a move! I can't wait to try it some day!! And I never would have guessed it was all rudder and elevator!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
BriGuy76

Well, I just talked with dad, and I gave some misinformation about my grandfathers plane, just want to correct what I posted. The plane was built 35 years ago. It's not a Cub, its a mid wing kit, dad cant remember the kit name, but its got a .60 on it. I guess I didn't remember it as well as I thought. Being little and looking up at it suspended from the ceiling I guess I had a bad perspective. I would like to do some research on it and find out what kit it actually is now. I guess we are going to do some disassembling to try to find a tag or model # to go off of. Anyway, I know it's off my thread topic, I just hate to give misinformation. Once dad is comfortable he said it is definatly being flown again. The last time it saw the air was 81, and it was flown by an ex-uncle in law who happened to be the Texas State Champion at the time!! Wish I was older when he flew it so I could remember it better!! He is retired FBI and no longer talks to the family, I sure wish he was around to give us some pointers!! Thanks again for the awesome info and tips!!!!!!!!!! Happy flying!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
jdetray

Make a couple of photos of the "mystery plane" and post them in one of the forums. I'll bet someone can identify the plane, and you won't have to disassemble it.

- Jeff
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 AM
BriGuy76

Great idea! Thank you! I'm going up there to watch the Big Game on Sunday and will take some pics! I'm sure somebody around here will know the Kit and Manuf. :-) I'll start a mystery plane thread :-P
It was too windy today to try to fly :-( Maybe tomorow. Till my Wilga gets here I gotta try some of those new found tricks on the SuperCub. All tricks you can do with the elevator and rudder, never imagined. This learning thing is pretty cool. You guys are ok ;-)
Thanks again for the great idea about the photo. Can't believe I didn't think about that before, I got a 5mp Fuji with 10x optical zoom, takes amazing pictures. We will probaly take it apart anyway though. Hasn't been flown for over 20 years, could be a squirrel nest messin up the CG :-P

EDIT:
Got pics of pap's plane. I'm starting a thread in the gas section to try to find out what it is if you are interested in looking at pics. It's got a 70" wingspan and is 47" long. The control surfaces are big so I'm sure this puppy is agile. The electronics look so old I'm not sure we should use them, I'd hate to have a control problem bring her out of the sky. Anyway, the pics are going up and hopefully somebody knows the kit. Also I don't think the motor is as big as what dad thinks. It is stamped Fox25 on the head, but who knows that could just be a model# not the size. Anyway, ckeck for the topic "35 Year Old Mystery Plane" :-)
EDIT:
Pics uploaded
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40220.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	613321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73179.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	613322