Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

"Bad" range check the other day...

Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 AM
hawk3ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "Bad" range check the other day...

hi all,

I just had a question about my receiver I was hoping I could get some opinions on....

The only day I was testing out my dual motor setup in the driveway of my townhouse complex (multiple garages all face each other) and my motors speed seem to match up fine BUT I noticed when I backed up about 10 feet that I was losing control of the plane At about 6 feet the ailerons were reacting choppy and slow and at about 10+ feet there was not control response.

I was thinking that there may have been a too much interference since I was in a dense housing area, would you all agree on this?

I was going to go to the local park and try this out again but my plane had an accident that I'm not too happy to talk about so I'm waiting on a nose piece to glue at the moment lol

Here's my setup.

-Futaba 6ex TX with a newly swapped in 72mhz channel 34 crystal
-Futaba r146i RX with a channel 34 crystal that came in a set with the above
-Using the PCM setting on the TX
Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Learjets

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Bad" range check the other day...

I'm no expert but look at this link and retry in a open field or better yet at your flying field

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ID=1079&Page=1

Lots of good info!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
hawk3ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hah yeah great page

Here's a good one, so...I went out to the park last night with a buddy and it looks like I had the SAME problem, backed up 10 feet and there was no reception; however, I swapped out my RX Crystal and used his radio and BAM! it seems to work just fine now so I'm thinking it's something to do with my Crystal I bought.

After reading up more on the Futaba site, it's more appearant now that swapping crystals out the TX and RX was bad because you need to recalibrate the TX when you do, so I guess I'll just my original TX crystal and look for a matching RX one....
Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On a related note, I have the same Fut. 6EXA radio and used 2 different Futaba micro receivers, the R124F and R156 and with BOTH receivers, in 2 different planes I get random signal loss starting at 150 feet and as I go further I lose almost all control. I bought a Hitec 555 dual conversion receiver, and I've flown it since the past 8 or so months glitch free up to maybe 1000 feet away. Yes it's a little bigger, but my point is if you go back to your original crystals, and still have problems, then try another receiver that is dual conversion and see if that helps.

Oh and BTW, as far as I know it is "illegal" to swap tx crystals, at least for air frequencies (maybe ground radio too? Whoops.....) . Yeah sounds silly, but you do need to send it in to be re-tuned to the new crystal or you don't get crap worth range,a nd you risk interfering with other frequencies. So that's your first problem with reception, like you found out.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
hawk3ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys, hopefully this helps someone out...

as it turns out...my RX, the R146i, is a single conversion RX, which means it only accepts standard crystals - the sales guy gave me a set of DUAL CONVERSION Crystals, at least that's what my RX says on it...so therein lies the problem since my buddies RX crystal was a single conversion it's no wonder why it worked properly....