Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane

Old 01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
SteelFist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane

Hi,
I am a complete newcomer to rc electric flight. I have a few questions that I was hoping forum members can answer. I know that I must be able to walk before I can run but my ultimate aim is to one day be able to fly a 3 channel scale rc electric airplane.

Firstly I was thinking of getting a HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2. Is this suitable for a first beginners airplane. Does the Anti-Crash Technology (ACT) help, or is it a gimmick.
Would I be better off getting the Areobird chalenger now being discontinued and being replaced by the swift. Would this be a harder airplane to learn on being 3 ch or would it be better in the long run. I would greatly appreciate any forum members advice.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Leo L

Default RE: Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane

Welcome to R/C flying!

The Firebird Commander 2 is a nice plane to start with, but there are better choices available to you. Although 2 channel control is the easiest to master, it is severly limiting. The ACT is a good concept that doesn't quite work right. Although some flyers find it beneficial, for the most part you would do well to turn it off.

The Aerobird Challenger (it is not being discontinued as far as I know) is a better choice than the Firebird Commander 2. A much better choice is the HobbyZone SuperCub, which Backyard Flyer Magazine recently called "The Perfect Beginner Plane". The SuperCub was not available when I first started flying nearly two years ago. If I was starting today, I would definitely get the SuperCub. I have helped several beginners to start flying with the SuperCub and its as good as everyone says. If your flying field does not have a landing surface and you want a plane with no landing gear for handlaunches and belly landings, get the Multiplex EasyStar. Other good beginner planes, but not as good as the SuperCub or the EasyStar, are the Aerobird Challenger, T-hawk, Wingo, Slow-V, SloStick, SkyFly, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
SteelFist

Many Thanks for taking time out to answer my questions, I will certainly take on board your advice. The super cub looks a fine beginners ac. The only problem is I might not always have an ideal take off surface. I could hand launch it, but the landing would be a problem. Can you tell me why it is a better ac for beginners than the challenger. I may in the end have to go for the challenger because of the under carriage situation. Is the UC fixed on the cub?.
Thanks Again.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
TimCouto

I also agree that you should get a supercub! Excellent 3 channel trainer!!

Then after you get bored with that... get a gws E-Starter.. (4 channel trainer).. also an awesome trainer!!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:45 PM
stephx

The Super Cub is my 1st plane and I have no prior RC experience. Definitly a good choice. Don't worry about a landing strip for this plane. Just remove the landing gear (very easy to do) and belly land it if you want. This is what others have recommended to me and it works well.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
SteelFist

Hi, Thanks for that info about removing the landing gear. It looks like a super cub for me! I have looked at the easy star,but here in the uk its quite expensive, although it won beginners electric plane of the year award. How long have you been flying the cub, and will it take the knocks that a beginner will give it. Thanks.