Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Question on powering two motors at once

Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Recty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Question on powering two motors at once

I'm looking at building a hovercraft from scratch, using electric power.

I already have a LiPo and a receiver/speedcontroller that work together and a motor for thrust. My problem is that I want to also have a second motor for providing lift, it will inflate the skirt so that my hovercraft actually hovers.

Is there a way to use just one LiPo battery to power both motors? The lift motor doesnt need to have a speed controller, as I'd rather it just be a toggle. Turn the lift motor on, the hovercraft hovers. Turn it off, it doesnt hover. I'll use the speed controller in the back to increase/decrease the amount of thrust the hovercraft is getting.

Anyway, someone please tell me if this is possible using one battery. And if it isnt and I have to get two batteries, I'm not sure how I would hook that all up to one receiver, so if that is the case, please describe that to me as well

Or if you have a better idea on how to run 2 motors on one RC vehicle, I'm all ears.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Question on powering two motors at once

Well Recty, you have left a lot of info out that would be needed to answer your question
can you power 2 motors with 1 lipo, yes and no, it all depends on the motors you plan to use and the size of your battery, if you going brushless I wouldn't do it unless you have a realy big pack, also you would need 2 ESC for BL motors. Now if your using brushed motors, then yes you can with no prob as long as your amp draw doesn't exceed your batt capacity. I would strongly suggest a Low Voltage Cut Off Switch be used. I'm not sure how you would wire one motor to run without a ESC and work it off a switch. I'm sure someone can offer up some advice for that. Cool Idea, Good Luck with it
Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Recty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Question on powering two motors at once

Thanks.

I deliberately left out some information as I dont really want to scavenge my batteries/motor/esc off my working IFO to power something else. I hate having to switch everything around every time I want to fly the other RC... so I'll be buying a new setup, I just wanted to show that I have the general concepts of power down

As far as what you said about brushless goes, I think I dont really need brushless. Hovercraft lift is provided by relatively small motors, it doesnt take much air to make something float on a really thin cushion of air. So I'll be able to go with a pretty cheap brushed motor for that. And in reality, I'm not going to be making the hovercraft as a racer, I mainly want to test the concept. I've been planning on building a hovercraft I can ride on for a while now and I'm going to try to replicate my ideas small scale first to make sure it all works correctly before spending the money to go full size. So I dont really need an expensive brushless motor for thrust either, as a hovercraft has very little drag and a relatively small engine can make it scoot along quite quickly.

But anyway, from what I've read I believe I can run a splitter off my LiPo and connect one end to the ESC which will power the thrust and the receiver/one servo. Then the other end of the splitter will go to my brushed cheapo motor. On my TX I use for my P51, I have a switch which activates flaps, they are either UP or DOWN, I'm thinking I'll be able to figure out a way to have that either turn the lift motor on or off, no need for throttle control.