Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

is this a good beginner plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

is this a good beginner plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
rcdriv3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good beginner plane?

was thinkin of buyin this for my first plane? good idea or not....why and why not?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/rtfplane...os/hcaa23.html
Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: is this a good beginner plane?

So long as you are going to be working with an instructor, I think this would be a nice plane to start with. The linked page did not give a weight and that would be my only concern with it being a 380 brushed direct drive. The high wing will give you nice stable flights. the alerons will give you a quick introduction to 4 channel flight. You might end up hand tossing to start if you don't have a paved or low cut field.

Welcome to this wonderful hobby!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
packyj

My dad is learning to fly on the old sky pilot which is a 3 channel precursor to this plane. With the added functionality of a trainer jack on that radio it comes with and a good teacher you should have quite a fun time learning with that plane. The sky pilot has a fairly dependable stall that makes landing forgiving for the first time flyer.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Leo L

The Cessna that you are considering is a very nice SECOND plane. Beginners have a tendency to overcorrect control inputs (think of what it looks like when a beginner first tries to ride a bike. The bike is steered all over the place, but as the rider gains experience, the bike travels close and closer to a straight line). Ailerons cause a plane to respond very quickly, making it difficult for a beginner to fly. While some people have learned to fly using a plane that has ailerons, its much easier to begin flying with only elevator and rudder control, then switch to ailerons as you get much better at flying.

If you want a beginner's plane that is capable of ground take-offs, get the HobbyZone SuperCub. If you will only be doing hand launches/belly landings, get the Multiplex EasyStar. These are the two best beginner planes. Other good planes to consider, but not as good as these two, are the: Aerobird Challenger; T-hawk; Sky-fly; Wingo; Slow-V; and SloStick.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
vrocks

Wow... both of your examples, SuperCub and EasyStar were my own first 2 airplanes. I crashed the EasyStar (all foam) a few times and even glued it back together again in a frankenstonian way. It still flies and my friends who want to try out flying for themselves begin on that one.

The SuperCub is great for learning take offs and landings. Especially the landings. It could use a stronger landing gear (you might have to bend the supports back into place every 5th landing or so) but it is adequate and does its core function well. I would use 2 3/4 wheels on it though, otherwise you will indo on rocks and small bumps and any grass.