Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

NASTY LIPO FIRE !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASTY LIPO FIRE !!

[X(] Yep - that was the look on my face when my smoke alarm went off and I opened the basement door and saw big BRIGHT Orange flames and nasty smoke ! I just had a 4.2 amp Lipo burn up in the basement - my smoke alarm went off - when I opened the basement door I saw Big Orange flames & smoke - ran down and grabbed the ABC fire extinguisher off the wall and pushed the pack / jar on the floor (cement) and put it out about 4 times as it kept re-igniting ! WOW - what a scare ! If I did not have it in a glass container I would of had a major fire. I have had basic fire fighting training in the USN and my last job - so I did not panic and knew what to do - but man it was scary, especially when it kept re-igniting. After finally getting the fire out I found some heavy cardboard and used it to scoop up the nasty / smoking mess and ran it out to the back yard and threw it down in the snow. It took many hours to clear out the house and basement of the very nasty burnt chemical and sulpher smell and to sweep and mop up all the gray powder that was all over everything - what a mess ! It could of been much worse if I was not here (NEVER EVER LEAVE A CHARGING LIPO UN-ATTENDED) or the smoke alram did not go off - as I am sure that in just a few more seconds I would of had a mojor fire that I could not of put out myself. There was a lot of models and supplies very close by that would of all gone up - plus the long wood bench I had the glass container and charger on. My main question after all this - is why do these great smart / hi-tech chargers not shut off when sensing a [img][/img]prolem or over-load on the battery. I was using a Triton set at 2.5 amps and 14.2 volts. It was a 4 cell T/P 4.2 Amp 14.4 volt pack. It had timed out earlier - I checked the pack and it was normal temp, etc... (just warm) reading 13. 5 VDC and about 1 amp remaining - so I started the charge again so it could top off and about 20 mins later it ignited !
In conclusion - all I can say now is that I am very thankful to still have our house and I have an even higher respect for LIPOS !
I will be getting a good metal container for both storing and charging the lipos like they do recommend. I can no longer say - It will never happen to me . Now that it has happened to me - I STRONGLY URGE [>:] all of you LIPO users to be very careful and please comply with all the Manufactures Instructions for you and your family's sake !! It CAN happen to you. I would also highy suggest to go out and get some training on how to use a Fire Extinguisher if you do not know how to use one. The Fire Alarm and good ABC Extinguisher (and knowing how to use it without any hesitation) saved our house - and I also believe the Good LORD was looking out for us too - AMEN !!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23142.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	617195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89039.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	617196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23857.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	617197  
Old 02-10-2007, 12:02 AM
packyj

Default RE: NASTY LIPO FIRE !!

Well, I'm glad everything is okay.

The triton has the optional temperature probe that would have at least stopped the charge current when the battery gained heat. May or may not have stopped the lipo from going up but it couldn't have hurt. These stories make me realize the use of the lipo bags they sell at most retailers to charge batteries in. Try the army surplus store for a container, they usually sell the old ammo cans, if not you can do a google for majors supply and get them very cheap.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 AM
AliKill

WOW man that sure is NASTY.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
BriGuy76

I'm glad everything is ok. See what happens to somebody that follows the directions? I pitty the people that don't. I treat my LiPo like an unstable vile of nitroglycerin. It is kept in a ceramic bowl if it is charging or not and if it gets dropped or the plane lands "not softly" :-P It sits for a couple hours in the ceramic bowl on the cement floor of my basement. There are some really good posts on these forums regarding the care of LiPo that all users should read. I'm glad that you treat this technology with respect also. I'm sorry for your scare, but like you said, thank the Lord it was your battery you lost and not your home!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
DEFORCER

if u were using an extuinguisher that uses water then thats why it ignited because lithium reactes with water
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
thunderbirdlver

good thing you were there and knew what you were doin. but most of all that you are ok!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for your wake up call post. I charge mine in a large pot with a ceramic lid. usually on the counter in my kitchen, I'll stop that immediately, I do have a fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand usually. Take care, Randy
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Flypopa

I have only started using Lipos and I now wonder if it is worth it with the reports that I have read about simular Problems and fires. I have a ammo can in my shed that I shall be using when charging in future.
The balanced charger that I have only produces .8amp. Longer charging times I know but surely this is that bit safer. When I charged for the first time I was close by and kept checking to see if they were getting warm. They were not. The Lipos that I have are 2C 1100 and a 2C 1200. An I doing it right?