Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS stearman??opinions please

Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS stearman??opinions please

I have seen a very good deal for gws PT-17 with motor, gearbox, servos, GWS rx and ESC I was wondering if this plane would be a suitable next plane for a competent slo-v flier (can loop it, stall turn and land), I know that the e-starter is the better beginners aileron plane but the deal on the PT-17 is very and I hear that once you get good at flying a brushless setup gives a very good aerobatic bird. My biggest concerns are that being a bipe it might not be able to handle the wind very well, something the slo-v displays all too well, and also at the minute I only have a skysport 4 tx which doesn't have dual rates would I be able to fly without them?. Should I get it or just get an e starter instead?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
scoooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS stearman??opinions please

GT5500::: All of em sound good, The E-Starters a sweet fly'in plane an if the stearmans anything like the GWS tiger-moth 400, we have a winner, I do the full range of areobatice's with both, the E-Starters a bit faster (a-lot) , I run e-flight 400's ( any good outrunner'll do) that handles these planes well on three cell lipo's and a 20-25 amp ESC, (KMS 3121's are only 20$ with prop collet works well) use a 8.4 prop on the KMS and a 9.7 on the E-Flite, You should be able to fly these just do the preps, CG, check everything (do the alerons,Rudder& Eleavator trim, and do'nt need reversing?) happened to me a couple of times cause I JUST CAN"T WAIT to take her up!! go get you a plane my bub, Your ready!, your bub scoooper, PS if your still a might skidish bout alerons try a Slow stick with them an it's easy!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38186.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	633161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59741.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	633162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78801.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	633163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69276.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	633164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52898.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	633165  
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've heard that the PT-17 is not as responsive as the Tiger Moth. I know someone who even put ailerons on both wings and wasn't happy with the performance. He tends to fly slow, though, and I imagine if he'd speed things up a bit, the performance would improve.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:32 AM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I have read a few time now that the PT-17 is very tail heavy and with a brushless its very hard to get the CG right this is making me think I may be better of with the e starter, which will be the more aerobatic plane once I progress a bit more? the PT-17 or the e-starter?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
scoooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did some research for you on some other forums an found the same nose heavy prob's, heres a post I found where they did the same thing I did to my tigermoth 400 and has got me think'in about gett'in one myself, Heres the post,"

GWS PT 17 Stearman
My favorite fun flier, so far, has been my stearman! I did upgrade it with a 400F brushless motor, and Kokam 1500 11.1v Li-Po while keeping the stock prop and gear box. That just gave me lots of extra power to play around with! It would take off almost vertical! The motor and ESC combo was $80. Battery was $37 at LHS.

I made some improvements. There is a site where you can order wooden struts for the wing, which makes the plane a little more stable doing stunts. $5.00 plus shipping!

$10 plus shipping I put a fake radial on it made from vacu formed plastic that I had to cut out and paint. It looked great!

I cut out the fuse where the pilot should be so I could put a pilot in it.

Due to CG problems with the plane (way tail heavy) using the brushless motor, I cut out a space just behind the motor on top of the fuse that would allow the battery to slide all the way forward. I just made a plastic cover for it. Worked great.

I put real wheels on it". Sounds pretty good to me!!!! heres my tigermoth pix of the mod you talk'in about, hope this helps, your bub, scoooper

Name:	Rp42863.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	633636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83240.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	633637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45801.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	633638  
Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks scoooper I have already read through all those posts, I was specifically trying to find out how suitable it would be for a relative newbie, I am also keen to know how well it handles the wind, I have learned to fly on a slo-v but they really can't handle any wind so I don't get much flying in as there is always a breeze blowing here. I think I may go for the e-starter as they don't seem to have the same CG problems and also being a mono wing should handle the wind a bit better, I may at a later date get the PT-17 and hot rod it!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
scoooper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GT 5500::OOP's, I got so far into the other stuff I forgot to repley to that quruie, Their about the same in 5-7knots of air but past thats pretty much a crap-shoot, I've flown the tigermoth in ten knots and did'nt even try the lighter bushless lipo set-up e-starter that day the tigers a bit heavyer but when I had her (E-starter)set-up bushed 480geared (1.84/1)8.4 prop, & 9.4 volt 900ah nicad flat-pack under the wing (b%^&ch to get at) she had some poundage but could fly well in 7-10, for 7- 10 mins, your bub, scoooper

Name:	Wu60892.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	633760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55196.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	633761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86264.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	633762  
Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 AM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am probably gonna get the e-starter as the deal on the PT-17 includes stuff that I don't really need anyway, the motor and ESC are no good as I am going to go brushless, the RX is GWS which I have heard can be very glitchy which I don't want, and I am not sure about the servos but I can get some cheap any way and it only comes with two so I would still need another one. I am also a bit put off by the fact that the PT-17 needs the battery pushing that far forward to balance properly, would not be good for a beginner because I serious nose in is going to wreck the battery pack. Unless of course the PT-17 is going to see me through a bit further? I am keen to start learning aerobatics which is why I was looking at the PT 17 as I have heard that it is slow and stable but aerobatic on larger throws, how does the e-starter compare? does it do aerobatics well, I am not expecting a 3d bird but I want to start learning the basics.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a note about the GWS receivers. Some people never have any problems with them. Where I fly, many fly with that Rx and have absolutely no problems with it. All terrain incidents can be attributed to the excellent crashing skills of the pilots. [:-]
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your help guys but I got the minimag instead as it is made from stronger foam although I have since read that it requires differential for the ailerons which my basic skysport 4 does not do, I am thinking maybe i should have got the e-starter instead, or do most planes need some differential?