Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Is a wing OK for a trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Is a wing OK for a trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Scott_S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a wing OK for a trainer?

If a beginner pilot is mainly interested in wings and deltas such as the Mini-Wing and SuperFly types of planes, is there really
anything wrong with just buying a slow flying wing and "having at it" ?

Think I'm gonna pull the plug on this baby tomorrow: http://www.speedwing.net/mini-speedwing-ex-p-296.html

RTF, trimmed, radio complete.

I should be able to throttle down to a slow walking speed to learn to fly myself.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:13 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is a wing OK for a trainer?

That's an interesting question. I usually always recommend to beginners to start with a very docile conventional trainer. But I suppose one could start out with anything given adequate education, preparation and instruction. In my opinion, if you're going to start out with wings, don't start with a delta. They are typically quite fast and totally unforgiving. I suppose there could be some exceptions depending on design. I would try starting with a long wingspan sweep, or v-shape style slow flying wing, even with some dihedral if possible, that's what makes a typical trainer forgiving and tend to self recover. That type of wing is not very difficult to fly. Save the deltas for moving into your advanced wing flying. Good luck and have fun.

p.s. I would say that Seedwing EX is doable for starting out since it can fly slow and should indure many crashes so you can keep on trying until you get it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Scott_S.

I feel pretty good about the Mini Wing EX as a trainer. I have an area at my home that will allow me to fly this wing with it's
slow speed. While I'm flying and learning with it, I'm buying the SuperFly and a DX6 radio and will follow the build videos on the
forums by DialedChuck. I've watched the videos over and over of wings and deltas. The Superfly and others as such that will
fly high alpha are by far the most interesting to me. At least I think this plan will work, if not I'll have to re-consider
Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I think you'll do fine. That durability factor with the EPP foam will allow you to make mistakes and keep on trying. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Black Arrow

I am still very much a beginner. That means I can't give you expert advice but I can give you a report on my personal experiences. I Started out to teach myself to fly with an Easy Star. That was a really good choice. I only flew it a few 5 times and thought I was ready to try a wing.(I thrive on variety). All I can say is WOW! I was not, repeat, not ready for the increased speed, maneuverability, and difficulty in maintaining orientation. Many crashes later I can say I have had some sucess with my wing but it's still a challenge for me. I am sure teaching yourself with a wing can be done because I (more or less) did it but you had better buy a quality EPP foam wing because you if you are anything less than some kind of prodigy are going to crash a lot and I mean hard and a lot.

I now have a Zagi Fixx, Combat Wings XE2, Whisper 2 and Zagi 60. Each has it's own good points. I believe the Zagi Fixx is no longer available. I wouldn't recommend it anyway because it's not EPP foam and really broke up badly from my crashes and are hard to fly in any wind above @ 5 mph. It does still fly though even after breaking it completely in half diagonally through the center. BTW just in case you don't know EPP is NOT the same as styrofoam.

My Whisper 2 will fly slow and is smaller (around 27 inches I think) and therefore can be used in smaller spaces. This can be a big plus. I like it a lot. It uses an inexpensive GWS geared set up with a Lipo. Wings eat up a lot of territory in one heck of a short time forcing you into constant turning without ever giving you enough time to settle your nerves and plan for the next control input so slower flight speeds can be a big plus.

The XE2 is one tough bird and uses a simple NiMH battery and speed 400 motor with a steel motor mount. An excellent all around choice. Especially if you throttle back just a bit right after launching when you get stabilized. I have crashed that thing so hard so many times I just can't believe it still flies! I have had to make some repairs but they were next to nothing considering some of those crashes.

The Zagi 60 is bigger and therfore easier to see but it's power system is a bit marginal in my estimation. I haven't flown it but a couple of times and I'm thinking I need to get a brushless for it (at considerable expense). I'm not looking for a lot of speed but with wings you need to keep them moving at some speed they are happy with or they get really mushy on the controls and tip stall easily.

A radio that has dual rates and or exponential will really help. I know it did for me. Guys here on the board told me to get the add ons for my Hitec Neon because it would help me and they were 100% right. I now have Futaba's most basic computer radio and I really like it. Worth the extra $ for sure.

Hope I have given you some good info that will help you.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Scott_S.

Thanks Black Arrow for your reply. I feel pretty good about the Mini Speedwing EX in a trainer
because of it's super low speed capability. I want to get the DX6 but still searching for the new
lightweight receiver. Gonna take a look at Ebay right now.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Black Arrow

I came very, very close to buying the Mini Speedwing myself but ultimately went for the Whisper 2. I'm sure it's a great plane!

One thing I neglected to mention is that although some of the smaller wings can fly more slowly there is, of course a trade off. They are also more affected by the wind and that can have a big impact on your opportunities to get out flying. That being said thoug, wings are less bothered by wind than conventional planes of the approx. same size and weight.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The website lists the Speedwing as "a fast, agile and highly aerobatic 24” flying wing, which can also fly at near walking speeds."

You may want to consider keeping the throws to the minimum recommended because the "agile" and 'highly aerobatic" parts are usually not beginner friendly.

How does the wing handle at slow speeds? Does it mush around or do you have positive control at slow speeds? Even though it flys slow, it may not handle well at that speed.

Does it build up speed fast when descending? If so, you are no longer at slow speeds if you make a mistake and start heading for the ground.

But like ArCeeFlyer says, if it's tough, there is some durability there.

Even though it can be flown in a small space, for your first flights, fly it in a wide open area. When you're learning, it is better to have too much space than not enough. Not enough usually lands you in whatever hazards that surround your site.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Scott_S.

Hi Time Pilot, you gave some things there to think about. On the video it's hard to tell just
how "busy" the pilot is while the wing is at walking speeds. Good points!
Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Black Arrow

I'm probably adding to the confusion here but I would also suggest that you take a look at the Frenzee from www.sylvanaircraft.com/index.htm. If link doesn't work try typing it in manualy and it should work then.
Run a search on this plane and you will find people saying good things. It uses simple low priced stuff and performs quite well according to the posts I've read. I think there's a video on the web site. The Frenzee seems like a great compromise in price, performance and simplicity. I also get the impression from reading posts that the guy who makes and sells the Sylvan Aircraft planes is an honest guy.

BTW: I went with the Whisper 2 over the Mini Speedwing because the Whisper is a little heavier (read that as less sensitive to wind)and seems a little less high tech (fragile). I bought my Whisper (made by Monsoon RC) from BMKdesigns.net - great guy! Even e-mailed me later to ask how I liked it! I knew I liked the Whisper right from the very first test flight and told him so.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Scott_S.

Black Arrow, those are both nice looking options. And both would be fun to build too.
You got me thinking about the constant need to "fly" the wing and I got to thinking back
just a couple months ago when I would freeze up on my CX2, not really sure what to do,
then BAM!.........another set of broken blades and rotor heads. Ususally by flying into
something other than the ground.

I've got a fairly nice size area to fly, but I think it needs to be a decent slow flyer or
at least have the ability to put the brakes on a little.

Those wings look to be a ton of fun for sure!