Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Airline Pilot To Rc Pilot

Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 PM
ollytindall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airline Pilot To Rc Pilot

Hi I am interested in youre opinions guys, I am an airline pilot currently flying the 757, 767-2 & 767-3 but im trying to decide which rc plane I could handle. I did have a a Fliton mini extra before and flew it with no RC experience needless to say I only managed about 4 flights before I got disorientated for a sec and ploughed it into the ground! haha. Obviously I'm not a complete rookie as I can already fly planes but just need to get used to being on the outside!. So I bought the hangar 9 FS-ONE sim and have been practising on that I can happily fly all the aircraft on there without a problem (Still haven't got the hang of that harrier thing though![&:]). So my question is I am tempted to buy one of these the ALFA P51D, Alfa Spit or the ALFA EDF Mig15 I can handle them in the sim but could I in real life?????????

Many Thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airline Pilot To Rc Pilot

Welcome to the club. Good plane for you may be the Super Zoom, sold by Hobby Lobby.Made from EPP foam that is fairly indestructable, but if damaged can be repaired with hot glue. Set the controls at about half of what they call for. Can be flown at very slow speed, with very nose high attitude with good stability. Check it out. There is a long thread on RC groups about it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
dominic magri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

though you are already a somewhat experienced pilot........ i would not recomend any fancy planes even if they are sold as trainers. if i were you, i would look into a glider based rc that has a small motor to get elevation. they take a little more room to fly but they are much more forgiving and fly at slower speeds.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM
perttime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So, you already managed to fly a low wing plane for a few flights without crashing and you are doing OK on the sim...

I think an aerobatic EPP plane, like the Super Zoom or something similar, might work quite well to get you back in the air. When you are comfortable with that, you could try something more pretty and less crashproof.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:57 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A friend of mine is reaching the end of his flight school, he considers himself an expert at rc flight just because he can fly a "real" plane and he doesn't need any simulator training.... Man, can't wait to see him out in the field completely lost in the process, it will humble him a bit. Along RC to real planes, forget pretty much everything you know about flying the real planes, RC is not like that at all, I have MS flight simulator, needless to say, I'm bored stiff with it, I didn't even bother with the training sessions, just ran the gambit with every plane on it, took off, landed, did crazy stuff the planes aren't supposed to do with ease from day one and if this is an indication as to what it's like flying a real plane, I'm glad I'm sticking to RC, I'd fall asleep in the cockpit of an airliner, it's just wayy too slow and sluggish compared to RC, but there are real lessons I feel any real pilot can and should learn by flying RC that will help them get out of trouble while flying their real planes.

The sim's help, but are only a rough starting point, they are all just too perfect and not exactly what it's like to fly a real RC, you'll see what I mean once you get more heavy duty with your first slow, 3 channel, high wing plane "reccomended for any first time pilot", one notable advantage of flying real rc is the fact you aren't looking at everything through some tiny monitor screen, this helps with orientation a bit since you can use your perifial vision and you can spot the direction the plane is going a little better rather then trying to manipulate some spec that's hardly distinquishable on the simulator's computer screen.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember when one of the young lads in our club learned to fly, probably 17 or 18 at the time. Got his private licence, then His comercial. Now flies everything from DC 3s to 767s. Still comes out to the field to fly foamies and such on his days off, Talk about the love of flying.By the way, The Super Zoom is a nice slow flier but will do 3D and aerobatics with the best of them and still bounce back.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
davejb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well,
you probably aren't short of a bob or two, so why not buy a Minimag trainer, and follow the conventional route?
I'm not impoverished either, limited a bit by the fact that the only 'local' aero club is too far for me to bother with so I'm home taught, I've a bunch of stuff, electric and 40 2 stroke based, but most of it sits waiting for me to decide I'm happy flying an Ultrafly Cessna around.... I'd rather prang my foamie and buy replacements than have to stick the unflown Spit or DH Moth into a bin bag.

I'm finding the learning curve a bit steep - brushed setups and 2 stroke ic I'm okay on, but I'm still at the point with brushless that I don't know whether I need a UBEC, or if the park flyer motor I ordered will turn out to be big enough to power the vacuum cleaner (my 400 replacement has 200W available, I suspect my Ultrafly Cessna will be capable of suborbital flight when the LiPo is charged....)

You MIGHT be able to jump in with the Mig, but there's a world of difference between flying in a sim and coping with REAL trees, wind, and the like - so I'd suggest you buy the Mig or whatever, plus a nice trainer, then fly the trainer endlessly before trying the Mig out. I bought a Spit 2 years back, it's still unflown a year after completion simply because I'm not sure I'll not bend it.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM
divergoff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I gonna go w/ everyone else here and suggest something foam. I started out on a PKZ Decathlon, but if you have sim experience then you could go 4 channel, my second plane was an eflite P-47, which I crashed a few times but now have the hang of it. Being a fellow pilot, though only a private working on insturment, I do have to tell you that the RC plane is so much harder to fly than the real thing, but still fun.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 AM
jooNorway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have some RC-friends who are airline pilots, and they had to learn to fly model-airplanes like anyone else The difference is quite big.

When you sit in your 767 everything is the right way and you have a lot of training, but when you take off with a model the hard thing to learn is orientation. In addition things happend so much faster, difference between headwind and tailwind is noticeable and windghusts really do affect the plane. And as soon as you get used to all different orientations you still have to know a model stalls. I remember when one of my airliner-friends did maiden his Chipmunk I told him on the downwind leg that he were about to stall. "No" he replied, "I have enough flyingspeed"... and then he tipstalled and crashed. I told him how important it is to know winddirection and not just look at groundspeed as the parameter.

But you already have gained some experience, and I know you will like this hobby. Just do as already mentioned; get a foregiving trainer and get a lot of flying time. Then you could build a nice low-wing plane which you really like, but use the trainer for a while and get used to models before you maiden a Mustang or Mig. When you are used to flying against yourself without problems and launch a scaleplane always make sure you have enough flyingspeed. Especially when you don`t have the height to recover. The first stalls and other dangerous manouvres have to be tried at good height to get used to what happend.

I know the Minimag is a good, rather small but strong trainer. When the wind is calm just use the dualrates and you have a smooth model. Not the nicest thing on the ground, but when airborne it will give you what you need.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
ollytindall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys just to let you know how Ive got on the last couple of months. Firstly I bought myself the FS ONE simulator which I found to be very very helpful, especially for orientation! [&:] I spent many an hour playing around with that until I could fly comfortably and get the plane to do what I want. I then went and bought the E Flite Yak54F Foamie as the foamies on the sim seemed pretty easy to fly and fairly slow. And then the big day [X(] I maidened the Yak and surprisingly I didnt crash! In fact I found it flew remarkably like the sim the only real difference Id say is how it bounced around in the wind. Anyway after a few weeks of flying the Yak around I felt a bit adventurous and splashed out on a Precision Aerobatics Electric Shock which Ive been mainly flying since as It handles the wind a bit better. Ive been gradually improving my flying over the past weeks and have managed to start learning quite a few aerobatic manouvers (again something in which the sim came in handy for) which so far my planes have survived. Unfortunately I felt the urge to splash out again and have ended up buying the 3dhobby shop yak 54 47" which I am patiently waiting for to come from the US as we speak. Anyway guys thanks for the tips and heres a few pics of my planes!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31110.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	685569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46459.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	685570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34861.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	685571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26882.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	685572  
Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
jooNorway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you have the normal crush in to this hobby, always a need for more gadgets
You have got a lot of experience and do wery well I think. And you have a lot of airmanship in the luggage from your job! Keep on flying, experience is the key, and get used to wind because calm days are seldom.