Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Piecing together a Multiplex Easy Star kit

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
setzep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Piecing together a Multiplex Easy Star kit

I'm looking at getting into the sport of flying and the Easy Star from Multiplex sounds like the way to go. On Tower hobbies website they offer it in 3 different "kits".

Bare bones plane for $58 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFRU7&P=ML
Plane, speed control and servos for $110 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYK8&P=M
RTF with 3 chanel remote for $180 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFXV0&P=ML

The first two options appeal to me for one reason, I don't want to pay for a 3 channel remote that I can't use on a future planes with alerons. Is it worth while to get the bare bones kit and add a speed control and servos of my choice or better to just get the $110 kit that already has the speed control and servos mounted? What if in the future I want to add a bigger higher current motor or more cell battery pack... then I'm guessing the stock 8A speed control won't be enough...? Also what remote do you guys recommend for a newbe? I want something that I can use on future planes but I don't think I need a 7+ channel remote. Is the new futaba 2.4gig really worth the extra cash?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
LOCKMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Piecing together a Multiplex Easy Star kit

Spektrum came out with the 2.4 gig first. If it is so bad then why is Futaba copying it.[:@] Nobody liked it because of distance problems, good for only 1000 ft. Thats over 3 football fields end to end. Imagine you can see your plane flying 3 football fields away. Right!!! [>:]
I bought the DS6 for about 200.00 with 10 model memory, reciever and 4 servos. The first test I did was turn the transmitter on at one goal post and see if my slow stick responded at the other goal post 100 yards away. No problem. I followed the instructions and now have 3 models including a delta wing programmed in. I sometimes lose sight of my plane at a 100+ yards but still have 2.4 gig link with it. The DS6 short cellular antenna is a plus. Many times I have bent or ruined my antenna on my JR. There are 2 problems with this DS6 cellular technology. Every time you buy another receiver for another plane you must first bind it to the transmitter. And with the DS6 you cant fly fast areobatic or jet type airplanes that need more than 1000ft. to fly. The only thing I hate about Spektrum is I asked if they were going to make a DS7 radio system that will fly anything, and there response was not for about 5 years. It came out in less than 2 years.

lockman
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
setzep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. $200 doesn't sound all that bad for what you get. What about the Plane though? What is the "ideal" setup with the easy star as far as battery and speed control is concerned?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand, but don't agree, with the logic of a beginner buying a high end radio system to start with. I have yet to find someone who started with a high end radio system and didn't realize, within a year or two, that their needs weren't being met and needed to upgrade to a different system.

If you are a beginner and will be teaching yourself how to fly, you want to minimize the things that could be wrong with your plane, so that you can concentrate on overcoming the things that will be wrong with your flying. The best way to do this is to buy a quality Ready To Fly plane. You don't need to worry whether the center of gravity is correct, whether the servos are working in the correct orientation or need to be reversed, whether the control linkages are the correct length, whether the throw of the servo is correct to properly move the control surface, and on and on and..... You need to be thinking about things like how to keep the plane from stalling; about why the plane, when flying toward you, is turning left when you are trying to get it to turn right; about why that tree appeared in the middle of nowwhere and tried to eat your plane; etc.

To keep prices down, almost all RTFs come with "cheap" radio systems. Some a terrible and need to be replaced, while others are quite decent for a beginner. Admitedly, 27mhz radios can be a problem if you are flying in an area where there may be people using R/C cars or R/C toys. But if you fly early in the morning, or are in a remote location, the 27mhz radios are fine. I live in the middle of New York City and I have been flying 27mhz planes for 2 years with absolutely no problems of radio interference. The primary reason is that I fly early in the morning, when there is no one else around. On the other hand, I have seen a number of people crash their planes due to radio interference while flying in the afternoon. Most of these have been on 72mhz frequencies. One beginner wanted to eliminate the possibility of radio interference, so he bought the Spectrum Dx6 right off the bat. Half a year later he decided that he wanted to also fly glow planes, so he had to scrap his Dx6 and invest in a Dx7. Like I said before, beginners seldom know what their eventual needs will be.

Out of all the beginner planes currently available on the market, probably the two best are the EasyStar, which you are considering, and the SuperCub. I personnally prefer the SuperCub because of its looks and because it has landing gear that allows ground take-offs (I hate hand launching), touch and go's, etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
setzep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the easy star because of it's motor/prop layout. When I crash it will have less chance of damage.

Now to choose the components for the base kit.

ESC- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGFN7&P=M

Battery- what will fit with good mAh? need help here with some kind of a 7 cell (have a charger than can take 6-7 cell batteries.) Will this stick fit/work while not screwing up the CG? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNZB8&P=ML

TX/RX- Still open for debate.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
setzep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No more advice for me?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:49 PM
campcrafter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi setzup,

Maybe my answer to you is delayed and you may have already got things going but i would like to share my humble knowledge with you .

The easystar from multiplex is a very forgiving plane. I use the 7 cell battery pack for the flight.(http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUX61&P=7).

The great planes 3000 mah pack would probably make the plane too heavy to get good lift. The one that i use is just fantastic for the plane. I have flown for about 30 mts or more on a good day when there are good thermals. The ESC that i use is an Electrifly 25amp (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKBF4&P=ML ) one and the motor being 400 brushed dose not need more than 15 amps esc and having a 25 amp one means that i am less likely to blow up my esc.

The radio is a regular futaba skysport T4YF. and the servos are hitec HS 55.
Hope this info is helpfull.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
setzep

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I now realize that battery pack I linked is probably 2x's the weight allowable in this type of plane. oops!