Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

totaly comfused

Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM
buckijim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default totaly comfused

I have purchased a radio, receiver, and servos from park flyers. When I connect power [4.8] to speed control, that is connected to #3 as directed all the servos start working at same time. Any control on radio will operate all servos at same time. have tried support at park flyers, with no response. Do I have to do something to set this receiver up, or do I have a bad one.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
jdetray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: totaly comfused

Assuming this equipment will be used in a small electric plane, you need to replace the 4.8V battery with a battery that has sufficient voltage to power the motor. This would usually be a battery in the 7-12 volt range.

The electronic speed controller (ESC) regulates the battery voltage down to a level that is safe for the battery and servos. This feature of the ESC is called the battery eliminator circuit (BEC), and it allows you to use just one battery for everything -- receiver, servos, AND motor. The typical hookup diagram appears below.

If for some reason, you want to use a 4.8V battery for the receiver and servos, plug the 4.8V battery directly into the receiver, not into the ESC. You will still need the separate, higher voltage battery (typically 7-12V as noted above) for the motor. The higher voltage battery will plug into the ESC, and you will have to disable the BEC in the ESC.

In your present situation, you are asking the ESC to attempt to regulate an already low voltage (4.8V), which won't work. The resulting erratic voltage to the receiver is the likely cause of the strange control behavior.

Please tell us the complete details of your radio system and plane, including brands of equipment, description of the plane, description of the motor, size of prop, etc.

Also, did you receive a crystal for the receiver, and is it on the same channel as the transmitter? (Just checking!)

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23696.gif
Views:	7
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	660190  
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 AM
CitaFly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: totaly comfused

Read this:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=31]Basic RC Electronics[/link]