Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Would you buy SDM Piper Cub RTF for $79

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Would you buy SDM Piper Cub RTF for $79

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy SDM Piper Cub RTF for $79

A friend of mine is seriously considering purchasing the SDM Piper Cub J3 RTF for $79 at Harbor Freight. He currently flies a Hobbico Outlaw 2-channel, but really wants to upgrade to a 3-channel for under a $100. I fly a Graupner Mini Piper using a Flash 5 Hitec radio as well as Potensky Eagle. After reading the reviews of the SDM Piper Cub I am hesitant to recommend this to my friend. It seems like the plane has CG issues that keep the plane from gaining altitudes (an easy fix?) and receiver issues where right stick becomes left in flight, etc. Is this accurate? Can you perform rolling takeoffs and climb 3 mistakes high? Will you get a 7 minute flight? How tough is it? Is the radio equipment reusable? Does the plane have enough power? What is the range on the radio? Would you recommend this plane?

Thanx in advance for any guidance,

Jeremy
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Leo L

Default RE: Would you buy SDM Piper Cub RTF for $79

If your friend wants to get a Cub, why don't you suggest that he purchase a ParkZone Cub on e-bay. It's a much better plane than the SDM and he can probably get one for $80-$90. Some of the best deals are from HobbyDealsUSA, who apparently sells returns and "blems" for the factory. He checks out the planes and lists any defficiencies. I bought three planes from him, Aerobird Challenger, J3 Cub and Decathlon, and have been satisfied with all three deals. The Cub and Decathlon had "twitching" servos, which indicated problems with the ESC/Rx. The seller sent me replacement units at no cost and the planes have been flying great.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:47 AM
aus-voitty

In regaurds to Jeremys question l think the lads writting all the reviews about the sdm cub are just having some fun and experimenting. l have just bought the cub and is my first r/c plane for about 10 years all my others were gliders. Out of the box next morning l launched it stright off the ground on a cricket pitch ,it went stright up about 15ft at a much faster speed than l was ready for did a 180 turn flew over my head and landed it some how and decided l need more room and some forgiving ground. l found a field with 1m tall grass the size of 10 football fields, hand launched it and flew at about 50ft doing large oval circles. The controls are very sensitive so be gentle but l have flown it about 10 times with only 1 broken prop landings are easy just slow down to idle and glide down into the long grass no damage, l haven't had any problems with anything except wind and enjoy flying it l think that for the price it i[&o]s it's a good plane to start on and progress to the next level happy flying.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM
apapele

I have this airplane, it really fly very well, i love it, i suggest to buy, is cheap, is just great.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
djcarld

I found what appears to be a piper j-3 cub rtf for 39.95.. here's the address... www.cheifaircraft.com
When there go to radio control, and the inventory clearance. It's the firs plane listed. I just ordered one. It should be here tomorrow.