Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Newbie Slowstick Config question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie Slowstick Config question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 AM
gmkramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Slowstick Config question

I have decided to embark on this new hobby and after reading many posts, have decided to go the SLowstick route. Here is my dilemma:

- Do I go with the stock 400 brushed motor or do I upgrade from the getgo and do brushless?
- Do I go with lipo power or start with older traditional power (i have read about the danger of lipo and how they might not be appropriate for beginners anyway because of lack of durability when crashing)
- receiver and ESC recommendations? servos? charger?

I know that these questions have been asked before, but it seems the technologies are changing quickly and wanted to see what the current view is

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
billz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Slowstick Config question

gmkramer,

I'm in a similar curcumstance as you. I've decided to get a slowstick. I've been flying for awhile however but want to get a slowstick for some aerial photography. I'm going to upgrade to a brushless motor and lipo from the getgo. I'm going to get a TowerPro motor/esc/prop combo from United Hobbies

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4711

The motor/esc/prop combo is only $20. I plan to use some TP 1320 3 cell batteries that I already have but United Hobbies also has good deal on Hextronix brand batteries as well.

For receiver, I have an Hitec Electron 6 from another plan I'll use, and some Hitec hs-55 servos as well. They are more than you need but I'm using them since I already have them from a previous plane.

For a lipo charger, I use is the no-frills, easy to use, Cellpro 4s. I love that charger.

I think this combo will be more than enough for a slow stick but since I also want to haul a camera around, I wanted something with a little more power.

Bill Z.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie Slowstick Config question

You tend to crash more when you are learning, and from what I've read on the forums and seen on my own motor similar to the one above, replacing a bent shaft on that motor is a little harder than on the GWS gearbox.

My recommendation would be a traditional gearbox for now and upgrade later.

I'd recommend the same for batteries, use NIMH's for now, and get some lipos later.

As for chargers, it all depends on what you want. You could start with a Hobbico MK II and a 12V source. It charges nicad, nimh and will charge lipos to something like 85% capacity. The nice thing about this charger is that it will charge two different batteries at a time.

I think the reality for many E-flyers now is that other than the batteries in their radios which are quite happily topped up with the supplied wall charger, most of the batteries used are lipo. Because of this, a balancing charger is a better solution. These chargers are only good for lipo's though.