Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Ultrafly PC9 Issues. ??? Newbie to electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Ultrafly PC9 Issues. ??? Newbie to electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
yee-ha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly PC9 Issues. ??? Newbie to electric

Hey guys. I have been a glow guy for a while and wanted an electric plane. I just got a Ultrafly PC-9 today. It came with the Frio 10 electric brushless motor. I was planning on using my E-Flite Maxx-25 speed control. Will it work? I was concerned about it being brushed and not brushless, but who the heck knows what that means, or why it matters anyhow... Secondly, I got the Electrifly 10-cell 12.0V (#gpmp0353) 2000mAh NiMH battery. Problem is, there is no space big enough in the fuse cavity to fit the thing! Can anyone tell me how they modified theres to go in... Not exactly off to a "flying" start here. Thirdly, They call this thing an arf? Looks more like one of those $3 styrofoam gliders from Walmart that you are suppose to convert to RC to me...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM
ozrcboy

Default RE: Ultrafly PC9 Issues. ??? Newbie to electric

Hi Yee-ha,

You have to use a brushless speed controller with the FRIO. I'm not familiar with the E-Flite Maxx-25 but if is isn't a brushless ESC it wont work (for starters you wont have enough leads going from the ESC to connect to the motor). Brushless engines rely on careful timing from the ESC to make the motor spin, brushed engines just get feed power like a firehose.

Rather than using NiMH give some serious thought to LiPo battery. Although you have plenty of volts in that pack I doubt it can deliver much more than 8-9 Amps which will deliver a kind of unexciting 90-100 watts - I imagine the plane will fly but a little soggy for something like a PC9. LiPo will be lighter, more compact, and deliver more power.

You can always buy a balsa arf if that makes you feel more comfortable old timer . I have an ARF balsa Phoenix Tucano - quite similar to PC9.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:44 AM
jdetray

The E-Flite Max 25 is a brushed speed controller. It will not work with a brushless motor.

You'll need to purchase a brushless speed controller.

- Jeff
Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Gigaah

I don't know exactly what sort of amperage range that motor will draw but I'm guess thing this should cover it
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4314
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM
AirforceRcks

i had the same batt. you have to cut away some foam to get it in there. i recommend Velcro also. the little magnet will not suffice.
make sure to use expo and tone down throws, it is VERY touchy and quick to move.