Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

My first plane - Four channel - Coordinating turns?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 AM
chipmeisterc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My first plane - Four channel - Coordinating turns?

Hi all,
I got my first plane yesterday, the Art-tech 4 channel 182,I was pretty nervous with it being a four channel, thinking I may have bitten of more than I could chew, but I find flying it a breeze,about 13 flights now and 13 landings to match! ( with the odd tumble due to bumpy terrain)

I am finding however that I am using very little rudder when turning, mostly fly it with the ailerons
However when I conciously try to use the rudder ....I bank it with the ailerons and then use the rudder however I seem to overuse the rudder so it crabs as its turning.

How do you guys coordinate your turns properly and use your rudder correctly?
Thanks
Chris
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Fliprob17

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My first plane - Four channel - Coordinating turns?

Honestly, I only use the rudder when performing aerobatics/tricks. I don't use it when I am just turning or banking. Keep it simple, less to think about

Otherwise, maybe just turn down the rates on the rudder so you can't over use it. If you have a TX that has that capability. If you have the RTF version, your radio won't allow you to change anything, but you can move the pushrod on the Rudder to the outer most hole on the Rudder control horn, that will lessen the sensitivity
Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree. I only use the rudder for take-offs and landings, and to taxi the plane back to me when it lands a little too far away. I have a warbird that has no rudder, only ailerons, and it flies perfectly well. My understanding is that the rudder becomes an important part of the control scheme if you move up to much larger and heavier planes. As long as you stay with parkflyers, you won't need to use the rudder for most of your flying.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
ozrcboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Chip,

Some planes need rudder to turn quickly, like for example the GWS Tigermoth 400 - it has really slow roll rates on ailerons so if you want to drag it into a bank smartly you use some coordinated rudder.

Sounds to me like your current plane doesn't need it.

Try a hammerhead stall for some rudder fun: Put the plane into a vertical climb. Just as the plane is about to stall give full rudder input so that the nose of the plane swings over in the plane's horizontal axis like a falling hammer, pick up airspeed, recover.

Also give a snap roll a go for some more rudder fun - make sure you have *plenty* of altitude, about 3/4 throttle, full up elevator and full rudder simulataneously, let go the controls and recover (just be aware the plane may end up upside down).

Cheers,
Oz.