Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Hitec Servos & Futaba Receiver?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hitec Servos & Futaba Receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Appfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Servos & Futaba Receiver?

Hey ya experts I've got a quick and hopefully easy question for ya.

Are Hitec servos compatible with Futaba receivers? I'm fairly new to RC (less than a year) and I'm building my first zagi - which requires micro servos. Most of what I've read points folks towards the Hitec Karbonite or metal geared HS-81. I'm currently using Futaba radio gear, so I was planning on using a Futaba receiver as well. Anyone know if I'll run into issues pairing the HS-81MGs with a Futaba receiver?

thanks much!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM
packyj

Default RE: Hitec Servos & Futaba Receiver?

I've never used those servo's in anything but I have used a few of the hitec servo's in the smaller r156 servos without problems
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Fliprob17

The Hitec servos work fine with Futaba receivers. As long as you order the ones that have the Futaba type connector. The description of the item will tell you which connector it has.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
subhunter13

The HS-81? havn't heard of that one.
For sub-micro servos, I use the HS-55 From
servo city.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Appfan

Thanks for the responses folks. I was talking with my LHS owner and he cleared things up. Here's a little more info...

I'm building a Zagi wing. A Zagi-60 to be exact, which specifically calls for the HS-81 servos. The HS-81 is a bit larger, but has over 2x more torgue than the HS-55. After discussing my build plans, I changed receivers to a JR RS6UL. This is essentially a 6 channel receiver less the plastic casing. After discussing receivers, I found out that most micro/submicro receivers have a range of approximately 300 yards. Well Zagis can get a bit further out than that fairly quickly. The JR is a full distance receiver, just weighs less. So what I'll end up doing is pairing the HS-81 servos with the RS6UL receiver.

thanks all!
-AppFan
Old 03-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Flyer 1

Hmm... Hi-Tec servos work just fine with Futaba equipment, but Futaba transmitters do NOT work with JR receivers! Futaba is negative shift, JR is positive.
Flyer
Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Appfan

ORIGINAL: Flyer 1

Hmm... Hi-Tec servos work just fine with Futaba equipment, but Futaba transmitters do NOT work with JR receivers! Futaba is negative shift, JR is positive.
Flyer
Good point - I had the exact same concern. However this particular receiver is negative shift - specifically made for Futaba & Hitec. Sez so raight cheer on da box. I had to order the crystal so it'll probably be about a week until I get it all integrated and verify operation. I'll make sure I post an update.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Appfan

I thought I'd post a quick update to bring closure to the topic. I successfully maidened my wing a couple of weeks ago. The JR RS6UL receiver works perfectly with my Futaba 6EXAS. Zero issues with range check or flight.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Kiiski

Awesome!
The next time you buy a receiver, give the berg 7 a look, really small, light, full range and auto shift detect, plus it's programmable from your computer.
Kiiski
Old 06-03-2007, 12:39 AM
jooNorway

Strange that people haven`t heard of the HS-81 servoes... They are in fact been very popular in sailplanes together with the HS-85. Nylon-gear on ailerons and metal-gear on flaps. Have some dozens myself, and me and a lot of others have good experience with those in sailplanes, but not that good experience in motorplanes. Their potmeters don`t like vibration, like a lot of other cheap Hitecs. Put it on the throttle and they die fast.