Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Mastered Freedom... now what plane???

Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
jayp0209

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mastered Freedom... now what plane???

I bought a firebird freedom last year, had a firebird commander 2 before that... commander i was able to fly with out problems. The Freedom was hard to get used to, nose diving into the ground on take off ect.... anyway i got used to it.. ground take offs and throwing take offs. I have had 2 freedoms... i just bought my second one last month cause my electronics broke in the plane in a crash. Since i bought this one i havent had to fix anything, had one crash but didnt break one thing... huge improvement from my old freedom. I have 4 batteries for this plane and i go out almost everyday with it and used all 4 batteries almost twice over... i have gotten spot landings down, low flying .. loops 3 times in a row... long vertical dives.. leveling out and landing just like that ... so im kinda feeling like im ready for something a bit better... something that will take wind a bit more then the freedom... granted i have it out in 12-15 mph all the time... but it dances quite a bit and i have to dive into turns to get it to fight the wind.. any suggestions on a upgrade plane? also i have a HUGE grass field ... over 1 square mile of grass land.. good stuff.. but the wind moves over there..
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
ozrcboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Mastered Freedom... now what plane???

I'm guessing the next step is ailerons. There are suggestions on this page of my blog (you'll need to scroll about half way down to see them):

http://www.oz********.com/2007/04/le...w-you-are.html

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So far you've been flying RTFs. Do you want to continue with RTFs or do you want to go with ARFs? What is your ultimate goal: Warbird; 3-D; Pylon; Giant; mini; etc.

Assuming that you want to stay with RTFs, do you want to take a big next step or a small step?

- small step RTF: Aerobird Swift
- medium step RTF: Stryker "C"
- Giant step RTF: Typhoon 2
Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 AM
dabvid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i can completely recomend the multiplex minimag. i just got it on friday and assembled it and just had my maiden flight this morning. it was a handfull at furst seen as it was out of trim and a tad bit tail heavy. but once it was in trim it flew like it was on rails. my first plane before the minimag was a jp model electrafun xp which is a pod and boom three channel similar to aerobirds. if you get the minimag and use the stock motor i recomend a 3-cell lipo. this is what i am usiong and has plenty of power for my abilities, however if you can afford brushless i also strongly reecomend that. also remember to get her high and no imputs to sudden, set up the rate as in the manual and its is a beautifull flying plane. with landings just gently cut the throttle and glide it in. Good Luck
regards,
dave
Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
CitaFly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some thoughts on this here:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=27]Your Second Plane[/link]

Three to consider: Lightflite Bug, Multiplex Minimag and GWS Estarter:

"Desirable Characteristics for a Second Plane

Let's start from scratch - what should you look for?

1. Ailerons: If you've learned with rudder and elevator, the next step is ailerons. Most likely you've learned using the right stick for rudder and elevator control, so graduating to using the right stick for elevator and ailerons is not a jarring change. Banking right or left will be more responsive but not all that different. The rudder is now on the left side with the throttle - unless your plane has a steerable tail wheel, you can easily fly without touching the rudder.

2. Fly Fast or Slow: You're still learning - flying an unfamiliar plane that requires a fair amount of speed to stay airborne cuts down on your reaction time - a plane that is flyable fast or slow mitigates this problem.

3. Moderate Wing Loading: The higher the wing loading, the faster the plane must fly to stay aloft; ideally something under 15 ounces/ft² will keep things reasonable.

4. Dual Rates: The transmitter should be capable of setting the control surfaces for two rates - low and high rates. This means that with a flick of a switch, the control surfaces will move just enough to control the plane moderately (Low Rates); after gaining experience with the plane, you can select High Rates for more aerobatic-like rates.

5. Highly Survivable: You're still learning - you need a plane that will not turn into a pile of foam or toothpicks the first time you have a "close encounter of the ground kind". This means foam of some kind.

6. Easily Repairable: This does not mean only that spare parts are available - the plane should be "glue friendly" so you can easily make those inevitable small repairs that crop up."