Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

what first low wing plane

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

what first low wing plane

Old 05-26-2007, 04:07 PM
sokrdz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what first low wing plane

i Dont know what would be a good first low wing plane
i have had alot of flying hours under my belt and have had some aileron planes but no low wing ones. which one would be good as a first one.
thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 PM
mrlikescheese

Default RE: what first low wing plane

Well i am looking at the RTF Chipmunk from Hobby People and i posted a topic about it. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5904300/tm.htm]heres the link.[/link] Its only 120$ on hobbypeople.net.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:03 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I've been a fan of Parkzone products. You can verify with other threads and read the reviews on RC Universe and I think you will find the PT Mustang and the spitfire great planes to start

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...AR&BrandId=PKZ
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 PM
divergoff

My first low wing was the Eflte p 47 but it is faster than most high wing trainers, so if you opt for that get extra parts, but it is loads of fun to fly once you get used to it.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:27 AM
ozrcboy

GWS Zero or Corsair are both well behaved and cheap if you have radio gear and are after an ARF. Any preference foam or balsa. If balsa is a goer I hear lots of good things about the Eflite Mini Pulse Extra (MPXT). Looks great too.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 AM
gt5500

The two I have read the mosta bout are the Mini pulse or the GWS formosa 2 (on low rates of course!), I have a formosa andit looks a nice kit I haven't built it yet though so I can't say much about it. The Mini pulse is meant to be a quick and easy build and flies just great as it is, if you are confident with high wings either of these should do you proud remember though the mini pulse is balsa so although it may be stronger then foam it takes a lot more rebuilding after a hard landing.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Fliprob17

I had the Mini Pulse XT as my first low-wing plane, it was perfect. Very docile and stable. But can flat out haul when you want it to. I would highly recommend it.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Leo L

Consider the PZ Typhoon. If you keep the transmitter set to low rates, the plane is very easy to control. It flies fairly slow, giving you time to figure out what to do, yet has awesome power to get you out of trouble. Just point the nose up and hit full throttle, gaining altitude till you can correct whatever the problems are. The only problem is that it flies so well inverted that its very easy to loose orientation. To solve this problem, paint the top and bottom two very distinctly different colors, or add day-glow tape to the tops of the wings, so that you can easily tell if its right side up or upside down. It was my first low wing plane and three other flyers at my field have had it as their first low wing. Simply a great plane. (OK, I'll admit that there is one other issue: the servos are not strong enough for the huge control surfaces and get easily stripped from crashes. You can buy replacement gears very cheaply, or replace the complete servos [Elevator and rudder. Ailerons are OK]).
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: Leo L

Consider the PZ Typhoon. If you keep the transmitter set to low rates, the plane is very easy to control. It flies fairly slow, giving you time to figure out what to do, yet has awesome power to get you out of trouble. Just point the nose up and hit full throttle, gaining altitude till you can correct whatever the problems are. The only problem is that it flies so well inverted that its very easy to loose orientation. To solve this problem, paint the top and bottom two very distinctly different colors, or add day-glow tape to the tops of the wings, so that you can easily tell if its right side up or upside down. It was my first low wing plane and three other flyers at my field have had it as their first low wing. Simply a great plane. (OK, I'll admit that there is one other issue: the servos are not strong enough for the huge control surfaces and get easily stripped from crashes. You can buy replacement gears very cheaply, or replace the complete servos [Elevator and rudder. Ailerons are OK]).
To save all the radio related problems and since the guy is obviuosly in the hobby for the long haul he may as well get a decent radio and build a proper plane rather then wasting money on RTF planes. He may well already have some gear so RTF is definately a waste of money.