Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Battery Only Lasts a few minutes

Old 05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
kong3038

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Battery Only Lasts a few minutes

New to electrics and I went to the local hobby shop to get a plane. I found one that appeared to be a decent deal that only required a 3 channel transmitter which I already had. The plane is called a Colour Butterfly (thats the way it is spelled on the box) and it came with a 370 brushed motor with gear box, 9.6v/650 mAh Nimh battery and a 10 amp speed control. I charged the battery with a great planes 6-8 cell nimh charger and the plane only flew for about a minute before the motor cut out and the battery appeared to be dead at that point. I recharged it and the same problem occured again. Went back to the hobby shop and the guy said that the battery just needs to go through a few cycles and then it would last 10 to 15 minutes. Only been through about 4 cycles and it doesn't seem like the battery is getting any better. Any ideas before I go buy another battery?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:02 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Battery Only Lasts a few minutes

Go back to the Local Hobby Shop and ask to speak with the owner. He should help you determine what the problem is and if defective merchandise, he should replace it.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:22 AM
mrasmm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, by all means, if you bought it there it should work when you get it. That is the whole point to the LHS

Do you ahve any info on the charge? I mean how many mAh is it putting into the pack, or what is it's charge rate and how long does it charge?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 AM
ozrcboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keep in mind your burn rate at WOT is a lot higher than "just flying" throttle. All the same - should be more than 1 minute methinks.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM
kong3038

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The charger has an adjustable switch from 200 to 600 mAh, I had been charging it at 600 for 6-8 hours. Once was overnight at about 10 hours and i didn't notice a difference.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:54 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is the plane I taught myself to fly RC on, it's a good pick, but their ESC's are junk. It's technicaly a Green Models, now call themselves Maxford Butterfly and is a super easy one to learn on, and quite durable as well.

Getting another mainstream ESC will fix the problem, I still have 7 extra battery packs for it I've used in other planes, it's the same pack that comes with the blade CP heli, just alot cheaper.

Along charging, I'm using one the blade cp stock charger, you need to monitor it during the charging process, once it gets warm "not hot", it's fully charged. Be sure to fully discharge it after each run, ie. let it run into the prop stops spinning, or get a decent charger that has the discharg function.

Along mine, I did end up fixing the forward wing mounting tab a few times, the cowl was trashed early on, so I reccomend pulling the latter or it wont' look so nice later on. The spring anti crash system doesn't work as intended, I retooled mine with rubber bands and sanded out the section the stick mount is resting in to make it slide easier.

I hope this helps, it's a fun plane to fly, and mine is resting in my hanger, awaiting to be regeared if I run into a situation where I'm training a new pilot. You should see how it performed when I went brushless with it, it almost ripped off the wings and going that route is not reccomended for a new pilot.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
kong3038

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Saucerguy

thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Probably a dumb question, but when you swith over from a brushed motor setup to a brushless, do you still use the gearbox, or is it a direct drive.

Do you use the same size prop, and what size motor did you use.

Not ready for that just yet but curious.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What ever brushless motor you opt to get, it will have it's own system, be it geard or direct drive, you will have to make your own motor mount unless you get a stick mounted one. When you get to that point, you'll have plenty of data along which ever motor you pick as to the correct prop size as well. Mine, I used an eflight 450 with a 9/6 prop and 11.1 1320 mah lipo, the airframe is not designed to handle it at all, one revision I did at that time was epoxying the wings together since the mounts will not handle the extra power.

On a side note, my first flight with it, I ommitted the carbon fiber tube, a wing half literally fell off 50' up in the air, it wasn't a pretty sight but survived the crash with minimal damage, so in case you were wondering about it needing to be in place, I can say, yes it does.

I do think it's best to leave it as is stock, that's what it is designed for, if you go brushless and lipo, the 450 is overkill, check out United Hobbies, http://unitedhobbies.com for BL "brushless" and lipo's, they are the best priced on the web and they advertize here as well.

I still vividly remember the time while it was set up with the BL gear, I did an outside loop with it, I had just enough beginning height to pull it off, the bottom of the loop, it was only a few feet above the ground. Upon it beginning it's journey back up, it smacked right into a batters cage. That cage has claimed more then one plane, it needs to be plane demagnetized, hehe. At that point, I decided I'm going to destroy the plane leaving the high performance gear in tact, so opted to yank it from it, rebuild the nose section and let it rest for a later day. I don't reccomend doing an outside loop with it for the record regardless.