Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Parkzone Slo-V: My Story

Old 06-18-2007, 11:36 PM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Parkzone Slo-V: My Story

This was initially a request for help installing a new propshaft on my Parkzone Slo-V, but instead, I've decided to turn it into my current life-with-the-Slo-V. Here it is:

Two days ago, after a long hiatus from flying, I finally took my Slo-V out again. The last time I flew it was I don't know how long ago. Anyway, there were a couple things wrong with it that I decided to ignore and keep going. The V-tail elevators were a bit down (didn't actually cause any problems, but was a bit annoying), well, that was pretty much all I remember that was wrong. So, I'm flying around, it's great, and I hand over the controller to my brother (flipping it to Low Rates in the process) so he can fly. He had a blast. When he hands it back to me, I fly around for a bit, and then decide (rather stupidly, but oh well) to do some aerobatic maneuvers (a loop). So, forgetting that I had it on Low Rates, and being way too close to the ground, I crash it nose first. The propshaft is way more than bent, spacers have popped out and washers have broken. Yesterday, I went to the Hobby Shop. I'll continue my story in the next post so as not to waste it (it was there already).

Alex
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Parkzone Slo-V Propshaft Help

Yesterday, I go to a local (not so much) Hobby Shop and purchase a new propshaft (yay!). I ask for some help installing it, then figure it out with some help on another forum. Today, being excited, I wake up at 7:00 to go fly in the local forest preserve. I get there, it all seems great, but the Elevators are even more downturned then before. Luckily, my brother and I manage to find a screwdriver in the car that works, and we fix the Servos so the Elevators are flat. By then, it's becoming closer to 8, and it's getting windy. Being the beginner that I am, I decide to fly anyway. Of course, I decide not to fly high (I still have a fear of flying my plane too high, I'm not sure why), and a gust of wind smashes it to the ground 5 seconds before I'm going to hand the TX over to my brother. It was hard battling the wind, and now I have more things to repair [] The propshaft seems ok, but the Tail is ripped in half and was thrown away from the plane, but I did recover it. Also, does anyone know a good way of running out a battery, or should I just plug it into the plane and let the motor run?

Alex
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Parkzone Slo-V: My Story

Well, I fixed my tail (there's tape, and lots of it). Also am in the process of gluing the gearbox where it broke. The plane may weigh a bit more now, but I also didn't have to pay any money. Yay for being a broke teenager . Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to fly tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm still unsure as to how to discharge my batteries.

Alex
Old 06-20-2007, 07:36 AM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The story continues:

Took it out this morning, and my usual field was closed. Oh well, went to a different one that was pretty much the same. Fired her up, and *crunch*, not a bad crash, just some messed up trimming settings after replacing the tail. Ok, fix it, then I realize that the Servo Holder is no longer firmly attached to the fuselage, and that I can just move it around. Anyway, I start using the "move-the-servos" technique to adjust after crashes (as the servos and receive move forward if there is a crash). I need a new fuselage (you'll see me say this a few times in this post). Anyway, I give it to my brother to try launching it, it doesn't go so well. We look at it at one point, and we notice one part of the fuselage is shredded looking and can rotate. I need a new fuselage, I know (here's #2) . We take it up again anyway, and it flies for me better than ever before. I run through the first battery, handing it to my brother and back.
We plug in the second battery (the 7 cell one, whee) which gives me more power and such, and is quite nice. I fly around for a bit, and hand it to my brother. Unfortunately, my brother, while fiddling with the Low Rate/High Rate switch gets distracted and crashes the plane. The fuselage is really rotated now, and pretty shredded up. It's pretty much dead. I'm going to try to fix it, but I'm not sure if it will work at all. I may have to wait a bit to get a new fuselage and just move the parts. I guess I won't be flying again for a few days.

Alex
Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM
trevormatney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello! I had a slo-v, and had pretty much the same type of experience with it as you. First real crash was straight into a sign post, which messed up the gearbox. I had to replace it, but had a hard time figuring out how to put it together since there were no instructions with the replacement. I guesstimated by looking at how the original was, and trying to make sense of the parts that were supplied with the new gearbox. Things seemed alright until the next crash. Now the tail surfacesc were all messed up, which I also fixed. The very next time I fly, i notice the controls are not working properly, so I land. Upon inspection I find that the servo mount is freely sliding back and forth on the fuse. Not a good thing! I have it hanging on the wall, and someday I'll put a brushless and lipo's in it and bring it back. For now my enjoyment is provided by foamies! Crash and build another seems to be my motto! LOL! Good luck to you!
Trevor
Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, but I'm sticking with the Slo-V for now. Getting a new fuselage, and rebuilding. I bought my brother a used J-3 Cub so that he can crash that instead of my plane .

I'm currently waiting for parts to come from Horizon Hobby (weird, cuz they're just a bit downstate from me), and then I should be back out on the flying field.

Alex
Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alex,

As you discovered, the bracket that holds the servos is not anchored to the fuselage very well. Drill a hole through the bracket and through the fuselage and install a larger diameter screw. Don't bother trying to adjust the tail surfaces until you have anchored the servo bracket.

Don't bother with the stock battery or the low rate settings. Use the 7-cell battery (same battery as the J3), set the wing all the way forward to compensate for the extra weight of the battery, and use the high rate setting only (even for your brother).

I thing that you are getting the NiMh battery confusewd with the NiCd (which you probably used on some R/C cars.) You do not need to discharge the battery because it has no memory. Whenever you are done flying, charge the battery all the way. Then, if your next flight is more than 12 hours since the charge, give it a peak charge just before flying. The chargers that come with the planes are pretty lousy. They have a tendency to give false peaks, so that your battery may not be fully charged when you think that it is. If you expect to continue to fly, invest in a decent charger. In the long run it will save you time, money and frustration.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice about anchoring the bracket. I knew about the trimming, I'm just joking that I was sliding the servos around to trim instead of moving the control rods (though I knew i had to fix it sooner or later, sooner came in the way of the fuse breaking). Thanks about the battery tips as well. I don't find the stock battery to be that bad, though I do have the "upgrade" battery as well. I'll probably purchase a real charger and such when I buy a plane with a real tx and rx and such.
Thanks for all the help, I'm still waiting for parts from Horizon (don't know why it's taking so long) and hopefully I'll be back out flying again soon.

Alex
Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 PM
manspray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys I have a slo-v and am very pleased with it. It's my second one. I was flying my first one and decided i'd do a loop. when I was half way through my loop I decided to try some inverted flight...didn't workout so well. I tried to pull it out of inverted but it nose dived. I snapped the fuse bent the drive shaft and busted the wing. So I thought I would have to spend so much money to fix everything on it I should just get a whole new slo-v. So I did. Now I have much more than enough spare parts(but thats ok I guess, you can never have too many parts) Also that same thing with accidentally leaving it on low rate happened to me. I must have bumped it when I was carrying the controller. I tried a loop when I was too low. There wasn't too much damage, just dinged the wing a little.

max
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When my son was learning to fly with his Slow-V, we found the best flying was with the optional 7-cell battery, with the wings set all the way forward and the transmitter set to high rates.