Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

can't get plane to fly

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

can't get plane to fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 01:41 AM
kalvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get plane to fly

gws beaver
the plane is built but I just cant get it to lift off does anyone have any hints tip or tricks and after i do get it to fly how do i land
Old 03-06-2003, 02:22 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know if you have taken the time to get an instructor, but you need too.
Find a club in your area and ask for help, they will gladly give you a hand. You also need to join AMA, there is an insurance issue you need to be aware of.
If you can't take off by yourself you'll never land without trashing your plane.
Get an instructor to help you.
Here is the AMA web site. http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/
Just my two cents worth.
AL
Old 03-06-2003, 02:53 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

I'm assuming you are using the stock motor and 10x8 prop, and the battery is 6 cell AA Nicad 700mAh pack? Couple of pointers:

* Make sure the letterings on the prop face out
* Make sure you have a fully charged battery
* Take off into the wind
* You should be off the ground in 10 feet or less with the above motor/prop/battery
* Plan your landings BEFORE you take off.
* Land into the wind; the Beaver can glide in for a landing if needed
* Getting someone to help you is prob a better idea if you can get that help
Old 03-06-2003, 03:03 AM
tylern

Default about how to fly..

i fly rc planes were are we at on the plane?1 is it a ARF ! if not ok who made it ?if ok is it 5 ' wings.or top wing.
is the radio 4 ch.or more.if not start over and get a 4 ch. radio and a arf plane. if it is ok lets fly ok 1 make sure your plane is not to heavey. if it is it will not go up easy.
put your hands under the wing on both sides of the wind by the body.see if the motor leans down a liffle.if not the tail is to heavey.if it is ok good with fuel in it.be sure the fuel is full.and the batt. is good on radio and rec.be sure all servos are going the right way.up down left right.if you have ailear arms the wings be sure they are right to.so move the radio arms/servos around to see that.the stick on the right is to turn left or right and to go up and down.the stick on te left is the ruter and fuel./gas or power.when turning left the right wing should be up.left down to tunr right the left should be up and righ down.if not click that servo.ok then walk about a 100 feet from the plane have a friend see that all is working good,with the ant.one click out.if it does good at a 100 feet turn the plane on and stand behind it make sure the servo for up is were it will pull up slow.not to fast it will stall.run it full gas tell you are 250 feet up then pull back on gas a little. when you are making a turn. turn to the left or right and pull back easy at the same time.fly around and be sure to take off in the wind and land in the wind too.if you need more help ask any [email protected]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:16 AM
kalvin

thank you anyone know of a club in lorain county ohio for elec park flyers
Old 03-06-2003, 05:27 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

I looked on the AMA web site and I could only find one in Cinci. That kind of suprised me. Here is the link. http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...DF65EC00D57F20
I was stationed in Lorain while I was in the Navy back in 1976. Nice place and great Walleye fishing!
AL
Old 03-07-2003, 12:17 AM
dalleb

www.voaflyers.org

This is the old Voice of America site, just north of Cincinnati. The towers have been taken down and it is in the process of being turned into a city park, I'm guessing about 50 acres, not sure. Very nice, e-flight only. These guys have been great about answering my questions getting into the hobby.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Tippie

Default Cleveland Area RC Clubs

Kalvin,
The closest club in your area would be the Lorain County RC Club. Web site: http://lcrc.org Or, you can pick from several others but further away. Go to: www.towerhobbies.com/rcwairclub.html Clubs with web sites are listed there, just scroll down to "Ohio" and pick one out that may be close enough for you.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:04 AM
kalvin

thank you for your response
I was online today and looked at the ama homepage and found lor. county club and sent an email to there contact person
kalvin
Old 03-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Many people are shocked and dismayed to find that they're "forced" to join this AMA-thingy if they want to fly at a club field.

While the AMA is more than just insurance, most clubs require AMA membership simply because it's easier than doing all the bookwork themselves. Remember, these guys want to fly just like you, not spend 30 hours a week doing paperwork just so everone else can fly and have fun. To protect the club and flying site from being sued out of existence, everyone involved must be covered by insurance. Sure, you could purchase your own insurance, but then someone in the club would have to keep track of what kind of insurance you have, how much it covers, whether you're up to date on payments. That's a full-time job in a club with more than a few members! The AMA provides a uniform insurance policy that's good for an entire year. All you have to do is present your card, and everyone knows you're insured. On top of that, the AMA provides clubs a simple, inexpensive way of making sure the landowner is covered. Most clubs couldn't afford the insurance on their flying sites if the AMA wasn't providing a group discount. Then, where would you fly anything bigger than a park flier? Where would you fly when the local residents get you banned from flying at the school or in the park?

This is just so you know a little bit of the reasoning why you're "forced" to join AMA to fly at a club field.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
jkinosh

Default RE: can't get plane to fly

Kalvin,

I am a member of LCRC, I was wondering who you contacted. As I know there are a few guys who fly electric in the club, but not to many.

What type of plane are you flying, and have you ever flown any of the Gas Trainers before. LCRC offers a training program that is free, and very good. The Head Instructor, Bill, is a great guy and an excellent Pilot.

I have been flying with them for almost 2 years now, and think this is one of the best groups of people you could hang around with.

Like I told my wife, "I could be spending my time and money in a bar, but atleast this way you know where I am."

Jacob