Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick with brushless motor question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Stick with brushless motor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Rozza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick with brushless motor question

I have A GWS 300 Slow Stick that I have recently had upgraded to a brushless outrunner motor. The Problem that I am having is that the new mount & gears that I have to use for the brushless motor, the shaft that it drives it doesn't have any thread on it like the stock motor did. What i have done is bought a prop save (Basically the same as in the picture below) However when I have attached the propsaver onto the shaft and get the motor going at about 3/4 open, the bolts holding the propsave in place start to slip because the shaft it is attached to is spinning so fast. Does Anyone know of a good way to better secure the propsaver onto the shaft to stop it slipping?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33365.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	708076  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Slow Stick with brushless motor question

Try putting a little LockTite on the shaft where the collar will be sitting, then mount the collar and put a little LockTie on the collar's screws as well. Tighten the screws as much as possible, then let the LockTite set up over night.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
charp

I use a little epoxy on the shaft.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 PM
jdetray

It may also be helpful to create a couple of flat spots on the shaft where the screws tighten against it. Then use LockTite on the screw threads.

- Jeff
Old 06-30-2007, 02:22 AM
charp

OK, My Slow Stick was across the lake Sunday and I saw something flickering down. The prop saver and atached prop came off. I guess the hot glue I tried was not enough. I tried for a grassy bank but did not clear the last house.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:58 PM
john canfield

I originally used a propsaver on my SS because my buddy did on his SS, but after a few flights I decided I was better off without it. First off, I had a problem with the added speed of the brushless motor and the rubber bands - never did get a good balance between securing the prop just right or too much. Second, even as a novice pilot, I have never been in a position to crash my SS (knock on foam) due to its gentle and predictable flight characteristics.