Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Major screwup..is it fixable?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Major screwup..is it fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major screwup..is it fixable?

Just finished the main part of my build on a GWS EStarter foamie and wanted to paint it. Not even thinking about it I used one of my cans of paint designed for plastic. It ate into the foam and has left me with a new "braille" version of that model.
My question is: Can one use some kind of covering like Solarfilm Lite or Ultracote? Maybe some LW Tissue? any ideas? I don't want to restart this build, this is the second one I have done and I have made more mistakes on this one than I care to admit.

I assume having a rough surface will make the plane pretty unstable in the air...or will it be ok??

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Bad_Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major screwup..is it fixable?

The rough surface is on the fuselage, or is it on the wings?
If the fuselage, it will fly just fine. If it's on the wings, it will probably alter the flight.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Its on the wings and elevator as well as the Rudder and ailerons.......... does that mean I am buying another kit?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 AM
AJ1202

Arrow, post a pic of the damage, it may be fine.I have planes with damaged and eat up places on the wings and they flay just fine. The ES is a very forgiving plane, look in my models and you will see mine that has been through more abuse than mose can survive it is 2 years old but is my most dependable plane. You can use ultra coat on foam but I wouldn't do it unless you need to. I covered a scratch build with it and it came out OK but I am going to have to remove it all and use some adheisive first so it will stick better.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
ArrowNaughtic

The underside of the wings is just horrible......... I am thinking I need Ultrakote. Heres some pics.....hope you can see how bad the paint ate the foam.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47517.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	741255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74368.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	741256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62820.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	741257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96809.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	741258  
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Bad_Daddy

I don't see any holes - Put the motor on it and fly it man! I'll guarantee you won't make the same mistake again, and it will be good for you to have a plane that "isn't too pretty" for you to try those new maneuvers on!
Seriously - just finish putting it together.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 AM
AJ1202

I agree with Bad Daddy it will most likely fly just fine but if you just realy want it to look better there is another way besides ultra coat. I say this because the prep and time involved to cover a solid area is,,, well lets just say time consuming and unless you have done covering you can make it a lot worse by melting the foam with the iron.. Now having said that first are you going to be using the stock motor set up or going brushless, also what batts are you gonna use, the plane will most likely come out tail heavy in the stock build. I would sugggest just taking some 180 grit paper and sand the whole plane good, there is plenty of meat to sand some foam off and not be concerned, then use 220 to smooth it out, then if you want to paint it use testors model paint or something simular, keep in mind all water based paints come off real easy with nicks and dings unless you seal them in with something. My ES actualy has 2 coats of paint, the first was a dark burgandy, then I painted it back white and did the rest in decal material.
Good Luck with it, the ES is a great flying plane

EDIT: one other thing you can consider is light spackle, thin it out and paint it on, let dry and sand it smooth, I haven't tryed this yet but I know a lot of people that have, mostly for small repairs but your just looking at pit holes, not major gouging.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Bad_Daddy

The filler material is available at your LHS, and it's very light stuff. Yeah, you could spend days filling, sanding, polishing and covering, but you can buy the whole plane for $35 from Tower, so how much $$ is your time worth? Let's say you make $10 per hour at work, do you think you'll finish all this within 3 1/2 hours? I don't, and I don't think the difference in flight will warrant the expenditure of time.
FIDO - Forget It, Drive On!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
SackOHammers

Chants: "FLY IT FLY IT FLY IT FLY IT"
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
ArrowNaughtic

LOL............ if I was making only 10 bucks an hour........ I wouldn't be buying planes and helis!
Ok guys....I will just let it go..... I do own my own painting business....so I could easily run a watered down coat of spackle on it, but like you guys commented....Its not worth the time. I am going to run the stock brushed 400 motor using a 11.1v 8C 950 mah lipo and when that stock brushed motor gives up I will either put a Hacker or one of the Eflite brushless motors in with a 33A ESC. Radio setup is a DX6 and Ar6000 RX.
I just built one for the gf and we flew it last weekend ( I am a heli man) but I had such a kick flying hers.......I went and bought one for myself. with hers.....we read the instructions and took our time.....Me, in my most manly voice stated " I don't need no stinking instructions!" I will be eating crow for at least a couple more weeks and she will be happy to tell you all about it probably even 10 years from now..........DOH!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 AM
AJ1202

HaHaHa, We don't need no stinkin instuctions yep you will never live that one down.
You might want to go ahead and get the BL motor as you might get 10 good flights on the 400 with a 3S lipo if your lucky, I have cooked them in 2 before, don't push WOT much and you could stretch it out some. I thought I saw the wing tip of another ES in one of your pics
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Ya AJ... that one is hers........ she is now in a painting craze herself....just to show me that it is possible to paint it without complertely eating away the smooth skin. Wimmin! [sm=50_50.gif] heh....go figure.
I already have the brushless here and am just waiting to fry the stock motor, then will swap over to the brushless setup and show her how to rip the wings off a foamie next!