Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Size & kind of motor to use???

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Size & kind of motor to use???

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Freshman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size & kind of motor to use???

Hello everyone...I am new to this forum and looks like a lot of good information is exchanged. I am wanting to convert an old Goldberg Junior Falcon from gas to electric. Its 36" wingspan and in the "old" days a cox .049 - .051 handled it. My question is what size and type motor, ESC and battery should I use to power this bird. I know very little about electric power but want to learn as its clean and easy to work with. Anyone who could offer me advice I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM
soarhead-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Size & kind of motor to use???

I have and still am converting some old 1/2 A designs to electric. My latest was Randy Randolphs BeeTween. It came out at about 16 ounces ready to fly. It has a 36inch WS like yours. I used Hobby Lobby's 400XT outrunner combo that I bought when they had one of their sales last fall. Most of these planes come out about 16 to 22 ounces and fly fine with about 100 watt outfits. I have also used GWS geared 400 brushed motors and they fly pretty decent also but no power reserve, just fly!! Most planes of this type will fly with 75 watts but really need 100 watts per pound to bring a grin to your face. Have done a Q-T, ACE Pacer and a high wing plane that Airtronics kitted I think many years ago. Working on a little foam wing Ugly Stick sort of jobby now that somebody scratched up. If one comes up at a club auction or on the net I will buy it because they are pretty much out of mainstream popularity now. Can sometimes get em for 5-10 bucks

Good Luck
Bob