Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

battery nomenclature / parameters

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

battery nomenclature / parameters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
renwick56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery nomenclature / parameters

I was using MotoCalc to try determine what motor / battery , etc. I should use to convert a GP Big Stik to electric.

I says that the battery should be ā€œ7x3200SHD 2Pā€. What does that mean?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: battery nomenclature / parameters

That would be read, "seven by 3200 super high discharge two parallel." Roughly translated, that would indicate a seven-cell pack of 3200mAh "super high discharge" Lithium Polymer cells, two of these packs connected in parallel.

Motocalc has its limitations, and this is the big one. Asking Motocalc what you should use to power your plane is like asking a three year old what he wants for Christmas. Kids say the darndest things, and so does Motocalc...

Motocalc is working with a HUGE arsenal of batteries, motors, props, gearboxes. Many of them are no longer available. That SHD moniker was used by FMA Direct for a short time several years ago before it was "en vogue" to advertise your packs by their C-ratings. SHD packs are long since discontinued.

The recommended combinations you get from Motocalc tend to be impractical combinations of rare/outdated/discontinued equipment. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to find half the stuff Motocalc tells you to use, and then you will be very unhappy with the performance, weight, cost and/or duration.

Motocalc's strength is in testing potential combinations for their power output. It's very accurate at that. If you give it a power setup, it can give you an accurate idea of how the plane will perform with that combination.

Your Big Stik may very well need a 7-cell (commonly referred to as 7S for "seven in series") LiPoly pack. But, there are newer cells that can handle much higher discharge rates than the old FMA SHD cells, and can give you decent flying times without having to connect multiple packs in parallel. This makes the plane lighter, and the overall setup less expensive.