Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Intermediate model, first aileron trainer??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Intermediate model, first aileron trainer??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
G-EMMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermediate model, first aileron trainer??

Hi All,

I've got myself hooked on electric RC flying my Firebird Freedom. I read so much bad stuff about it I also have a HZ Super Cub on it's way in the post! As the FF turned out OK for me I'm just looking forward to flying the Cub as well for now.

I also have a PZ Mustang. I couldn't help it I had to buy one even though I've not yet got the skill to fly it.

So my question. I have the cub coming, I'm guessing I'll enjoy flying it but it won't be a lot different from a learning point of view to the FF. It might even be easier.

I'm thinking that I need some sort of aileron trainer before flying that PZ Mustang.

I'm wondering which would be the right model to teach me aileron control. Is there something you would all recommend (I've thought of a Swift).

Another alternative would be for me to add ailerons to the HZ Super Cub once I've got really use to it. Would that get me ready for the PZ Mustang?

What would you do?

Ta

Gemma
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Leo L

Default RE: Intermediate model, first aileron trainer??

Hi G-emma,

Welcome to RC flying!

I'm glad that you have been able to fly the FF. Its not a horrible plane, but is not as good for beginners as many others. I'm sure that you will love flying the SuperCub.

The P-51 Mustang, like most warbirds, is not an easy plane to fly. In fact, many advanced "3-D" planes are easier to fly than the Mustang. One of the best aileron trainers is the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag). I'm not sure if its available as an RTF, or if its only available as an ARF. The flyers that I know who have it have set it up with an outrunner and LiPo. The plane is absolutely terrific and is a great natural step up from the SuperCub.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
SackOHammers

I've got no experience with any of these three planes because I still haven't progressed beyond my SuperCub. However, I've seen the Tigermoth, MiniMagister, and E-starter(?) recommended as good aileron trainers. From what I've read the tigermoth isn't as tough as the minimag, but I like the looks of it better so I will probably go with that one.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM
G-EMMA

SackOhammers, can you let me know who makes the Tigermoth? (I'm a total newb so not sure which one it is!). I took a look at the Minimag, it might be a great aileron trainer but the looks didn't appeal to me either.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
S.C.C.

G-EMMA

When your feeling confident with the Super cub, this is the plane to add to your hangar
The Multiplex Gemini.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
G-EMMA

S.C.C. that one does it for me, real pretty
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
SackOHammers

Hehehe, S.C.C. You're having a lot of fun with that plane aren't you? Sounds like you really dig it. It looks great.

Tigermoth - review
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=345
Be sure to read the ratings and reviews. It isn't the strongest or most powerful. It would benefit from a better motor. People complain about the instructions, but this link shows good build detail.

Tigermoth - buy
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...=GWSTMEPS400CY
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 AM
G-EMMA

Ta for the links SackOHammers

Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM
GoldKraft

Ive had a blast flying my Wing Dragon 4. Its my first plane and it has ailerons. Very forgiving plane to fly. The wing and tail feathers are not very strong but the fueslog is damn near indestructible . Add a brushless motor/ESP combo and lipo batteries and this plane will keep you busy for a while. Do a search and youll come up with more info.