Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on my first pane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Suggestions on my first pane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Smoothfire99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on my first pane?

Ok well its not my "First" plane... but in the sense of being my first plan in respect to a "real" plane I have no idea what to get. I have been flying the little foam Air Hogs planes around in the park but I would like a real plane with actual moving parts not just directional propellers. I am looking for a low budget plane and I want something I can learn on well. For now I would like a park flier I think. My Father In-Law is willing to help me learn but he is not too far ahead of me in the sense of actual flight time... So what kind of plane and radios and such do you suggest? I am willing to hear all suggestions!

Also any questions you have I will answer too!

Thanks in advance!
Smooth
Old 09-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Smoothfire99

Default RE: Suggestions on my first pane?

would you all recommend something like [link=http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HBZ7100]this?[/link]

Just something I found online.... But I really would like maybe a Bi-Plane and something smaller... But I am open to all suggestions...
Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 PM
commpilot5

I strongly recomment the Sig Kadet Sr. as a good trainer. I have three because they fly so easy and are a lot of fun and very forgiving. one thing to remember is the bigger they are the easier they are to fly.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Smoothfire99

Where would one find that one? The only ones I can find of that one are gas powered and I am looking for electric right now... Any suggestions on where to find it?

Also I found [link=http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_hobbyzone_firebird_phantom.htm]this[/link] one that I am partially interested in and wanted to hear what you all thought.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Leo L

Hi Smooth,

Welcome to R/C flying!

The first plane that you asked about, the HobbyZone SuperCub, is absolutely the best beginner plane. But don't take my opinion on it, do a search here on RCUniverse, but also on RCGroups and Wattflyer. You will find that just about everyone who has one agrees with Backyard Flyer Magazine in calling it "The Perfect Beginner Plane".

The second plane that you asked about, the Firebird Phantom, is a nice plane for limited space areas, but it has a tendency to break at the boom.

If you want to investigate other good beginner planes, check out the EasyStar, T-hawk, Aerobird 3, Wingo, Begin Air, Wing Dragon, SloStick and Slow-V. But none are as good as the SuperCub!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Here's a second vote for the Super Cub. Do you have a hobby shop nearby? Having a source of spares is handy for when you break something.

If you do have a local shop, stop in there and see what they carry. Most shops will have the HobbyZone stuff priced competitively.

Enjoy!

BobbyG
Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Witterings

3rd vote for the Supercub !!!!!!!!Fantastic plane to learn on, now I@ve moved onwards and upwards I'm teaching my 9 year old to fly it, once you've mastered that ould suggest a Multilpex Minimag as 1st aileron plane !!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Leo L

I have to agree with Witterings. The most efficient progression through the learning period is to start with the SuperCub. Then, when the SuperCub has been mastered, go to the Minimag to learn aileron control. After that, its a whole wide world of planes waiting to eat up your hard-earned money.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
davalf4

I started with the super cub, and then went to a brio 10. But I still fly the cub and love it. I cant break the damn thing. Especialy when I am worm hunting with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
GoldKraft

The super cub is a good trainer no dought , but I am going to recommend the Wind Dragon 4 for a few reasons. Its 4 channel, its 72mh , it can take a beating, parts are cheap, and it is cheaper than the cub. You can even buy the 3 channel wing and start out 3 channel and move to the aileron wing when you are ready.....I just started out with the aileron wing and never looked back. Just another option for you to consider.