Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Plane suggestions for a 6 year old!

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Plane suggestions for a 6 year old!

Old 04-06-2003, 12:15 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane suggestions for a 6 year old!

Hey all, my 5 year old is begging me to buy her a place for her 6th birthday. We decided it will be electric, she likes 'em quiet and I think they are safer. I decided it will be an ARF. She said it has to look like a real plane too. Some of the planes we looked at are the Sig Rascal, Thunder Tiger Sparky and the H9 Aspire. I tought myself to fly on gliders so I am leaning that way, sorta. Though if she doesn't like flying I have no use for a glider right now, we have a limit at our flying field of 400' becaause we are sop close to the regional airport. At least with the others I could just have a relaxing slow cruise around the sky.

I thought some of you might have some ideas on electric trainers. Oh we need to keep this under $200 excluding radio.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2003, 12:31 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Considering her age you may want to look at a Sky Sailor. It is a powered hang glider and is very easy to fly. And once the batteries run down it will slowly glide to land.

I have one and it is fun to fly and a little different.

Here is the link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXADK8&P=7

Just an idea, I'm sure you will get more.

AL
Old 04-06-2003, 03:30 AM
WhtBronco

That's a great idea. Thanks Al. I'll have to look at that with her. it certainly meets most of the requirements, and it's cheap in comparison.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:24 PM
goofup

You're right in thinking that electrics are safer. In general, they're lighter, slower, and usually made of foam so getting hit by one isn't any worse than getting hit by a softball.

HOWEVER, any prop that can spin fast enough to move a plane is lethal and commands respect! (For instance, my T-Hawk prop spun so darn fast you couldn't see it- it literaly disappeared- not even an "outline" of where it was.)

Considering her age, a Sky Sailer is a great idea. Just for fun, you might want to run a blimp past her. You can fly those indoors, has protected props, and are really easy to maneuver. Check the Toytronics web site to start.

The $200 limit you put on yourself is really restrictive and will rule out the planes you mentioned. For your price range, your're kinda stuck with the Firebird line. (Or did you mean for the just the plane??)
Old 04-07-2003, 03:33 PM
WhtBronco

From looking at the prices on the planes I had mentioned I should be able to get the plane, motor, battery and hopefully the ESC for $200 or less. I noted except radio previously because I have the required the on board radio equipment.

My biggest thing about electrics being safer is the ability to stop and start the motor at will. It doesn't have to be running until it's on the flight line. The props are still very dangerous when spinning.

The blimp was also a good idea. My wife and I thought it'd be great. She insists it must be an airplane and it has to look like the planes I fly.

I'm still undecided on this.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:33 PM
kutter-RCU

Well if you're 5 year old is anything like mine, she'll own every plane in the hanger :-) Anyway I got a Tubby Cubby for my % year old Daughter which she was able to help build, and realy enjoyed puting the "tape" on it, and the window decals, though they aren't too straight. The plane was around $40 with engine, $25 for the battery and $80 for the RX, ESC and servos. so well within the $200. Maiden flight was this weekend (without my daughter just in case) and it was very docile and controlable even in a 5-7 mph wind. I'm not shure about the longivity of the gearbox / propdrive it seems very noisy.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 07-12-2003, 06:43 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is your goal with your daughter. I presume you will teach her to fly it. Do you need a buddy box capable raido system?

Since you only have a small field, a slow flyer like a GWS Tiger Moth might be good.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/tiger_moth.asp

A pico stick doesn't look like a full scale plane, but it is easy to build and fly.

Here is a whole list of planes that have been reviewed.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews.asp

Here is a link to Hobby Lobby that has lots of planes and most of them have videos to go with them so you can see them flying.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/beginners-rc.htm

Park Flyers are great but 400 square might be a bit tight for many of htese.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/parkflyers.htm

Slow flyers will be easier to manage in your space and she will have a better chance of flying the plane herself.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:53 PM
kutter-RCU

Well my goal is to let her learn r/c I'd prefer something she can learn fast on. I don't want to do Glow or Gas as the cleanup would be left all to me. I have my Clubs field to fly with her on, a nice empty field, or an unused bridle path along a creek, to fly at. I already have 2 radios a Hitec Flash 5 and Laser 6, I think I have a trainer cord too. She doesn't quite understand the concept of trainer cord-buddy box yet it's a difficult concept when you're 5!

My goal is to have her be able to fly by herself, without adult assistance, she is very good about the "field Rules" plus a few I've added, like when some one is starting or running an engine in a pit close to us, turn and watch 'em, and don't move around when someone is carrying a plane running or not past us. She's also a prety good "spotter" when I'm flying, though I'm just a beginner she tells me when another plane is getting close to mine, or when someone is turning in my direction, thiough "Dad there is a Yellow Airplane over there that's coming twards yours" is on minimal help when there are 3 yellow planes in the air!

Happy Landings,
Joe
Old 07-29-2003, 11:01 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I like the Sig Rascal. Neat looking airplane. And wheel pants, too!
Old 07-30-2003, 02:34 AM
aeajr

I think you are expecting a lot from a 5 year old.

A slow stick might be a good choice. Flys slow which would give her lots of time to react. I love the Aerobird, but it needs a lot of room and won't work with your radios

A tiger moth is pretty cool, and again, a slow flyer.

Those might be good.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Arrow>>-->

Another good little plane might be a Pico Stick Fuse version. Lokks like a plane yet it is small and is a good flyer. Plus foam is easy to repair.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:45 PM
PHIL I.

Default IDEA

Just read about the FMA Co-Pilot in Quiet Flyer. They put it on a Slow Stick and flew it in a breeze! Normaly it would be flapping all over, needing constant correcting.One said that it could be flowen hands off. Mite be the way to go for one that young. Wrecking it would be dissasterous cause dad worked so hard on it. Make sure she has FUN and she will become hooked.....JUST LIKE DAD....

PHIL I.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:09 PM
aeajr

The co-pilot is a great idea, but a bit expensive, then again, probably not as expensive as replacing a plane every week.

All things considered, I think the Sky Sailor mentioned above is a fantastic ideal

It may not look like Daddy's plane, but you would never let her fly a plane like yours.

I have to cast the positive vote for the Sky Sailor.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:52 AM
little_moose

I designed my kits for 5, 7, and 9 year olds! My kids love them and they only take one evening to build out of blue foam and foam core. The best part about it is...repairs can be made at the field via hot glue gun. I was asked about durability and as a test I ran it into a tree we have out front (well, it was really a cactus) and as it fluttered to the ground my guest was astounded. I walked over to the plane, powered it up and tossed it into the air. Now I can't guarantee such great results, but minor damage is easily repaired via clear tape as well.

So you wonder what I'm talking about...Visit me at www.foamflyers.com and take a look at the Cessna 140, Cessna 150, Cessna L-19, or Piper Cub. All four planes are a great and I mean GREAT way to start the kids on airplanes. You can build a whole fleet for next to nothing!

Good luck no matter what plane you choose.

Mike
Old 08-20-2003, 10:07 AM
aeajr

Home made foam planes. What a great idea. cheap, simple and she can decorate it herself. It would truly be hers.

I presume these fall into the SPAD world. Great idea!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Procrastinator
My Feedback: (1)

http://groups.msn.com/HobbyzoneRCPla...crashclub.msnw

BUY HER THE RTF Hobbyzone Outlaw. Complete two channel ready to go for only $40 bucks!!! I know 8 people with this plane, and they all agree it is well worth 40 bucks! My 4 year old flew it. Just make sure there is no wind while learning.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
pooman07

Default RE: Plane suggestions for a 6 year old!

DONT BUY A MEGATECH FOR HER she will cry when you crash it (crappy and easy to crash) id say get a slow stick or hobbico superstar electric version ofcorse those seem to have some good raitings although you could beef up the motor a bit.Good luck
Old 12-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Mikerjf

Get a Multiplex Easy Star. Big, easy to fly, easy to see, easy to fix and not afraid of a little wind. $187 RTF

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Mike
Old 12-19-2003, 04:53 AM
jatoo

GWS Tiger Moth flies slow, easy to fly, LOOKS GREAT!
Old 12-19-2003, 05:00 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: WhtBronco

Hey all, my 5 year old is begging me to buy her a place for her 6th birthday. We decided it will be electric, she likes 'em quiet and I think they are safer. I decided it will be an ARF. She said it has to look like a real plane too. Some of the planes we looked at are the Sig Rascal, Thunder Tiger Sparky and the H9 Aspire. I tought myself to fly on gliders so I am leaning that way, sorta. Though if she doesn't like flying I have no use for a glider right now, we have a limit at our flying field of 400' becaause we are sop close to the regional airport. At least with the others I could just have a relaxing slow cruise around the sky.

I thought some of you might have some ideas on electric trainers. Oh we need to keep this under $200 excluding radio.

Thanks
It has been a long time since this thread was started. Did you ever get a plane for your daughter? If you did, how is she doing?