Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Wingo Hand Launch Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Wingo Hand Launch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:24 AM
BradM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingo Hand Launch Problems

Hello,

I've tried to fly my Wingo numerous times now. The only time I've had success is when I managed a ground take off.

I've been trying to hand launch and every time is the same result. I give it full power and a firm level toss. The plane immediately arcs up into a stall pointing nearly straight up. Then, of course, back down it comes on the ground.

I've balanced it according to the instructions and then, when that didn't work, moved the balance forward more and more. I'm about ready to strap a boat anchor to the front of the thing because I really think it's out of balance.

The one time I managed the ground take off, it did want to climb steeply, but my hand was right there on the stick, so I was able to keep it to a better climb angle.

I have a 6 cell stick pack and I'm thinking of cutting it open and making it two sets of 3 in parallel so I can stack them and put even more weight forward.

Any other Wingo owners out there who've had this problem? Could it be something else besides balance? Wing mounting? Engine mount angle? I forgot to mention, the elevator is level with the stabilizer.

Thank goodness this thing is so repairable.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Brad
Old 04-14-2003, 06:22 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

1/2 Thottle and a nice stright toss is all it takes.

DON'T HAND TOSS THE WINGO WITH FULL THROTTLE!

It will shoot for the stars and come right back down. Once you have it up then you can apply full THr.

Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:58 AM
BradM

Daren,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try when the wind breaks here. Looks like it'll be a week.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:52 PM
ylinen

Default Center of Gravity

I have the WIngo and have just finished construction. I can not tell from the picture or the instruction words where the CG point on the wings exactly is. Can someone provide more discriptive guidance. If I use where I think it is; I have to put the batteries ALL the way to the rear to keep it from point down considerably. Any help would be appreciated.

John
Old 04-15-2003, 07:17 PM
BradM

John,

According to the instructions I have, you put two fingers just in front of the hole for the motor wires behind the fuselage and balance it there. The instructions said it should be slightly nose down at this point.

I'm at work now, so will double check the instructions when I get home. You should find them close to the back of the instruction booklet.

Good luck.

Brad
Old 04-16-2003, 04:53 AM
darenm

from my wingo tales, i would suggest you place the battery as far forward as possible. you want it to tilt forward a good bit.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:32 AM
Corsairjunkie

Default This is what I do.

Get the gearbox and larger prop.

This is exactly how I have mine set-up and it flys perfect every time.

Wrap the reciever in some lightweight foam and rubberband.

Place the reciever in the rear of the fuse.

Put some velcro (you might need to epoxy) on the speed controller. And stick it to the inside-top of the fuse. just in front of the reciever.

Velcro the battery over the wheels, as far back as you can.

I just use a rubber band to hold the plastic seat cover on.

Give it Full speed and hand launch into the wind.

If it climbes and stalls move the wing foreward more.

Search for wingo tips or hints and do the modification to the wing.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:48 AM
BradM

Daren,

I got the Wingo up and flying today. I was able to get a ground rolling start and fly it. I brought it in for a landing and then tried the hand launch as you suggested - 1/2 throttle and a gentle toss. PERFECT! It flew straight out nice and easy. I then applied full throttle and began the climb. No more nose up and stall.

Thank you very much for your good advice on this. I now have three flights on it and no further difficulties.

Thanks again!

Brad
Old 05-25-2003, 03:01 PM
darenm

BradM, that's what it's all about. Glad to get you flying. Hope the Wingo didn't get too much damage in your learning stage. I know the Wingo gets real ugly real quick. Already have a next plane in mind or?
Old 05-26-2003, 01:30 AM
BradM

Daren

Funny you should ask...I didn't realize when I was patching it together all those times (about 5 - I'm a slow learner), but the fuse has grown crooked with all the repair work. As I was flying it I trimmed it for straight flight. When I brought her in I saw that the rudder was deflected about 10 degrees just to make up for the crooked nose. I've still managed a 1/2 dozen more flights now without further incident - it's really pretty easy once I get the silly thing flying.

My next step will be to cut the fuse and glue it back together straight. I'll probably sand/cut some of the excess sloppy glue off of it with my dremmel while I'm at it.

For my next plane, there's a GWS Tiger Moth I have 3/4 built. The calm days of summer are coming. After that, maybe a Graupner Tipsy or Terry to handle the more breezy days. Hobby-Lobby's videos will make me a regular customer, I seem to want everything.

Thanks again for the help.

Brad
Old 05-26-2003, 04:10 AM
darenm

yup, my credit card still has hobby-lobby written all over it.
if your looking for something to handle a little wind, get the Terry over the Tipsy. Trust me, this is 1 smooth flying plane.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:53 PM
timfly1
My Feedback: (1)

Default Wingo

I have a wingo and I hand launched it it just flew out of my hand with a very light push at full throttle and up it went up fast. I mangaed to keep it going but got very nervus and nosed it hard into the ground after a few seconds. Broke it badly but fixed it easy. I'll try half throttle the next time.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:49 PM
BradM

The 1/2 throttle made all the difference. Once you get passed this you'll feel like an old pro. I was surprised at how easily it is to fly once you get the crazy thing launched.

Another tip would be with landing. I crashed the first time I tried to land because I thought I had to get fancy with the throttle and elevator and ended up getting confused. If you have plenty of room you can mostly land it with the throttle by easing back and taking a few practice passes.

If you'd like to read my Wingo tales I've documented them at: http://meyersbl.home.mchsi.com/Hobby/default.htm
Old 07-02-2003, 10:16 AM
timfly1
My Feedback: (1)

Default Wingo

Hi
My first flight lasted about 3 min. I did hand launch it with full throttle with a very gental push it then turned to the right, I was so nervus that I know I was over correcting. I tryed to take off from a roll but it wanted to go right and the right tire kept comeing off. The field was a base ball field a little small. This week I'll try flying in the soccer field if no one is around.

There are two round indentations under the wing this is where the CG is but on mine one indentation is where its suppose to be but the other is about two thirds of the way outboard.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Dave Lilley

My first plane was a stock Wingo with a direct drive 400, but I always used at least a seven, and most often an eight cell pack. A six cell pack will not get the job done.