Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

SIG Rascal Electric ARF w/ speed 400

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

SIG Rascal Electric ARF w/ speed 400

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 AM
mechmove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Rascal Electric ARF w/ speed 400

Hello all!

A few years ago, I purchased and built the SIG Rascal ARF w/ speed 400. On first launch, I had somewhat of an uncontrolled flight, but managed to bring the plane down. I should have stopped there, but I wouldn’t have known what to look for. Soon after a subsequent launch, I lost control, and the plane sustained enough damage such that I shelved it until last week.

After re-building the plane, I realized CG was probably to far back the first time with what I recall about battery placement. So I positioned the battery all the way up front this time resulting in slightly nose down attitude (same battery weight). A few things different this time; a 9 X 7 prop for slower flight, and a tiny wheel in the rear for ROG, no more hand launches. After double-checking everything, as I was practicing take off rolls, I didn’t intend on getting airborne; it just happened. The plane was veering too much to the right, so I had to turn sharper to land based on limited field size, and it nosed into the grass field. I’m guessing my speed was too low to negotiate a turn and stalled. When I looked at rudder position, it was trimmed to turn right. Ok, this one must have been my fault, but I probably trimmed the rudder that way based on previous takeoff roll attempts.

Rebuild should take all but 15 minutes.

Why is this model so hard to fly? I’m sure there is something basic I am missing. I have a feeling this bird was intended flown in “still” air.

Please keep in mind I have successfully built and flown foam wings, various electric and non-powered gliders, done sloping, field flying, parking lots etc. I am by no means an “expert”, and there is always a lot to learn, but this one is getting to me. I can’t be the only one to have experienced this.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: SIG Rascal Electric ARF w/ speed 400

sounds like your motor may be badly alligned, a few degrees of right/down/up/or down thrust can impair flying. or re balence the plane. also check for warped parts, that is a major cause of impaired flight post some pics of all the angles of the plane. i need to see the motor, wings, and fuse up close.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
mechmove

I think you hit it on the head, the loss of control on the very first flight was probably due to incorrect CG "ie. Battery balance", but the model was somewhat flyable. Then it never quite flew the same after the accident.... Looking at the engine, it dosen't appear to align symmetrically.

I'll try to post a few pics after the re-build.

Was thinking there should be a quick and easy way to determine a plane "will" be airworthy, before the real event.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
3DSAVAGE

did you have any velcro on the battery? if it slides around, i'd do somethin about it
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 AM
mechmove

yep, there was velcro there the whole time. I got the model rebuilt. I am going to consult with some other modelers in person to get their opinion before any flying attempt.