Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help with Mirage 2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM
aircraftking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Mirage 2000

I just bought this plane online at hobby lobby. Could not resist the sale they had last weekend. Anyway, I got it today, seems very well built and it was easy to put together. I got everything all ready, went to test the radio out and the elevator/airlerons seem to be strange. My right control stick, when I move left and right, I don't get anything. If I move up and down, one airlerons moves up and the other down. I tried switching the normal and reverse modes on the channels but it still does the same, only reverses it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the elevator/airlerons work as follows... if you have your stick centered, they should be level just like a normal elevator? If I pull my stick back, I will get up elevator, if I push up, I get down elevator? Then if I were to push left or right, one airleron will go up, the other down and reverses with direction? If I am correct in the way this operates, I am afraid my radio or something may not be correctly working. For example, with my radio on, battery in plane, I get the left airleron up, the right down. No matter which way I move my stick, its always one up, one down. Hopefully someone can help out?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 AM
ozrcboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with Mirage 2000

ORIGINAL: aircraftking

If I move up and down, one airlerons moves up and the other down. I tried switching the normal and reverse modes on the channels but it still does the same, only reverses it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the elevator/airlerons work as follows... if you have your stick centered, they should be level just like a normal elevator? If I pull my stick back, I will get up elevator, if I push up, I get down elevator? Then if I were to push left or right, one airleron will go up, the other down and reverses with direction?
Except in very advanced configurations your ailerons should move in opposite directions to one another.

Sounds like your receiver may have the wrong servos plugged into the wrong holes. You'll need to get access to the RX in the plane and remove and replug in the servos until you get the behavior you expect. I don't quite follow your description, but it sounds about right. Exactly how it will work depends on whether you have a mode one or mode two set (which you can determine by which side has the rachet on the up down - so the stick doesn't self centre when released):

For mode 1 (rachet on right stick):
Right stick up down - throttle
Right stick right - right aileron up, left aileron down
Right stick left - left aileron up, right aileron down

Left stick up - elevator down
Left stick down - elevator up
Left stick left /right - rudder if fitted.

For mode 2 (rachet on left stick):
Right stick up - elevator down
Right stick down - elevator up
Right stick right - right aileron up, left aileron down
Right stick left - left aileron up, right aileron down

Left stick up down - throttle
Left stick right left - rudder if fitted (sometimes nose wheel also).

BTW, don't disconnect and reconnect the servo plugs with the flight battery plugged in. Remove it, adjust the servo leads, then try again. Make sure the model is teethered as well - although the fail safe on the ESC should prevent the motor from arming it is possible it could fail, and if you have the throttle plugged into the wrong channel the motor may come on and the plane move off.

Once you've got the correct control surfaces moving with the correct sticks then double check that your ailerons behave as I've written above, then check your elevator, then check your ailerons again. Finally check your ailerons one last time. With the ailerons deflected imagine the wind coming over the wing, and what your deflection will make the plane do - is it rolling in the correct direction (reversed ailerons has to be close to the most common maiden mistake for new aircraft).

Finally - I kind of gather that you may not have a lot of flight experience. If I've misconstrued this, my apologies. If however, you are a beginner then please please please do not fly that Mirage - it will be a pile of foam before you know what happened. Buy a trainer, like an easystar, or super cub, or wing dragon or one of the host of other great trainers out there.

Cheers,
Oz.